Author Topic: R9 Ammunition  (Read 16962 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: R9 Ammunition
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2004, 10:13:47 PM »
FJC:

I appreciate your perspective.  The master jeweler who is crafting the silver grips for my R9s has told me that he appreicates the business.  (He also made the silver grips for my G380.)

In my declining years, I have admittedly become more self indulgent.  Nonetheless, for one born in the Great Depression, it sometimes worries me.  One of my old COs used to criticize me for my tendency to "personalize" my "stuff."  However, I'm still here -- he isn't.  (And I am considering having the slide of my R9s engraved with my name on the right side and one of my two Latin mottos on the left -- which one I haven't decided.)

And so, I shall see if my jeweler friend can pull this R9s grip project off as well as he did for the G380.  (He had better be able to pull it off, because I have already told Karl and Eric that I would send them photographs.)  My jeweler friend is good and, assuming that he succeeds, I shall post a photo of the results -- together with the magnificent holster which my friend, RJ Hedley, has crafted for the weapon.  

I'm out of here -- for now.

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2004, 10:38:23 PM »
OK guys ..... proposed ammo testing - heads up.

Murray Nevada and FJC have both very generously offered to send me some ammo for evaluation in the lil pup.  It is more than generous ..... both directly for me but also because it will allow for some most valuable tests - the results of which will (I hope) benefit us all.

Emphasis will be on Gold Dots - 115's and 124's.

I plan to get some raw chrono data but within that try and also get some accuracy data as well ... making allowance for fact that even with gun rested, my old eyes may not yield quite the ultimate in sighting!

All being well too ... and it's not the ideal test, but - will try and get some wet newspaper bundled up to get some sorta feel for expansion.  I'll add a coupla Golden Sabers in on that too if poss because they will add to comparitive data.

Might be a few days before I get to range and .. I'll probably endevor to accrue info on all before I post.  That way we will have a good load of info in one place for later reference.  Plus ... might be better not too get a sore hand from excessive throughput all on same session!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2004, 10:41:59 PM »
FJC:
You are correct about the Federal Classic 9BP 9mm.  I have used them for years.  They feed in the most finicky pistols (OAL and ogive closely resemble ball) and are known for reliable expansion.  Now that I think about I wonder why I  am using more expensive ammo.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2004, 10:58:18 PM »
R9SCarry:

I would like to contribute to your project.  I am particularly interested in the chrono results of the 147 Gr. Golden Sabers.  I have some left, but the easiest way to support your generous offer and effort would probably be for me to send you a check to purchase a box for testing.  I have blocked my e-mail address for reasons primarily to do with my wife's occupation, but Duane has it on record.  How do we get this done?

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2004, 11:52:21 PM »
Richard:
R9SCarry has told me the difficulty is the unavailability of Gold Dots, Sabers, and other comparable ammo in his area.  It may be easier to order it and have it sent directly to him.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 12:36:09 AM »
MurryNevada:

Good idea.  All I need are coordinates.  Shipping may take a week or so.  (R9SCarry: As we used to say in my CB days, "Got your ears on?")

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2004, 02:49:00 AM »
Richard ... yeah ... ''got my ears on'' ....... if a bit tardy!!  heck - I gotta go get some sleep soon!

Well ... I did some 124 Sabers ......... in my report ......

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=81781

on THR.  But for sure .. the 147's would be well worth testing out .... all ''grist to the mill'' eh.

I'll message you Richard . If you want to help - as is I hope apparent, I am willing to do the donkey work on the testing . so ...... I'll be in touch.

I appreciaste all the kind input here re ammo ... but as hopefully will be obvious later - this is really a cooperative effort - such that we all get to enjoy the extra data.  It'll help many newcomers too who wonder what to use and carry.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2004, 05:14:25 PM »
Chris:
Any news on the Gold Dots?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2004, 08:14:52 PM »
Mike ....... Thought for a minute I hadn't let you know they'd arrived safely!  They did of course and I emailed.

Well .... eventually ''escaped'' office today and off to range ...... so hang on fellas ...... some data comin soon.

I set the afternoon aside, but got a bit held up because a guy was at range doing some rifle testing ... and with that and his wish to chat ... lost me some time!!

Anyways .. I have a mass of data now to sort thru, and then write up.  I am not sure whether in fact to do it in HTML and give people a link, because it'll be long to post, and numerous pics of targets etc.  We'' see .... but results coming soon as I get it all put together .. time consuming this stuff!!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »
Chris:
Looking forward to your data.  It is indeed a good day when we can "escape" and spend some time at the range.  I enjoy in now more than ever.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2004, 12:18:46 AM »
Well . I sure enjoyed my session but gotta say ... a test program is somewhat more like ''work'' than a plinking session!!

I am scanning small targets .. in hope they'll add info a bit.  Also took quite some while to dissassemble the wet newspaper pack .... to find bullets .... the results will I think prove quite interesting.  Oh - then wash recovered bullets too.  Yet to take the pics of those.

Then .. copy out all the chrono data.

Sometime tomorrow .. hope to''publish'' ... just had too much to get done tonight to get thru it all!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Jeff_OTMG

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2004, 03:55:44 AM »
I use the 9mm RBCD Tactical and sent a box to Rohrbaugh form them to try.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2004, 10:03:24 AM »
I would be interested in whether the original RBCD 9mm LE armor piercing rounds can be used in the Rohrbaugh since I have some and would like to carry them in the R9s. I had intended to ask Eric about them, and Glaser rounds, last Thursday when I talked to him on the telephone but forgot to ask. My memory is getting worse in my old age. Before I make important phone calls I find that I make out better when I write down my questions in advance.

Frank

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2004, 09:41:06 PM »
I asked the Rohrbaughs some time ago about Glaser, Magsafe, etc. type ammo and they replied in E-mail that they had not yet tried it.

Offline Jeff_OTMG

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2004, 10:29:34 PM »
Glaser, Magsafe, Corbon, and a host of other loads are +p or +P+.  RBCD is loaded to standard pressures so is safe in a Rohrbaugh.