Author Topic: THRU - the pocket shot?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
THRU - the pocket shot?
« on: July 04, 2004, 01:08:43 AM »
Now - I have NOT experimented! :P

It is often reckoned that a revo can happlily be fired from within a pocket.  I wonder tho with the R9 ... could it perform in this confined space?  Would the shooter suffer severe slide bite?

I consider the scenario, where, with hand in pocket and gun essentially in a ''ready to rock'' grip (but no holster in this instance, of course) ......  there might be a need to fire NOW - not two seconds later after clearing the pants pocket!

I think it might be problematic ..... slide has to move, even if travel short.  Maybe in a large coat pocket this could work.  I do not plan just yet to put this to the test - tho in a moment of later unmitigated enthusiasm .. who knows!?  ;D

I am musing .. and rambling ... but that fellow R9 fans is normal!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: THRU - the pocket shot?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 07:33:17 AM »
I have seen the result of that [on film] It will sent your jacket to the "Rag box",  after you put out the flames.   :o

But, it was with a revolver, come to think about it..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 07:35:50 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 07:16:20 PM »
I have seen pics of that too -- including severe damage and possible fire to a jacket pocket.

Interesting experiment, but BE CAREFUL!

I better idea with a revolver than any semi, would be my guess.  The first shot with the R-9 will go, but the second probably won't.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 07:21:34 PM »
Hehe!  Yeah, I had considered the ''incendiary'' aspect! ;D  That'd be a problem with any piece fired thru cloth I'd expect.

Fear not - I don't think I have any clothes I am that keen to trash, in the name of ''research'' ... but as Duane says ... with the pup - it'd probably be one shot only anyways.

Put it down to idlel speculation! ::) :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 11:42:09 PM »
If you have to use your Rohrbaugh under those circumstances, I am sure it will do the job.  As for the clothing -- it's expendable.  If it catches on fire, drop and roll . . . or strip . . . but only after you make sure the "BG" is no longer a threat.  "First things first," as my old instructor used to preach.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"