Author Topic: Pants survey!!!!  (Read 8824 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pants survey!!!!
« on: July 02, 2004, 02:08:46 AM »
Pocket carry - in a rig particularly - you need spacious pockets.  I wear jeans most of time ... and their pockets are rarely very generous.  If I pocket carry in those - it almost has to be rear.

Dockers are typical of the more generous pockets ..... and probably suit better...  same for ''cargo'' pants.

What are the views of you guys ..... best pockets, best pants etc, for R9 carry?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
Re: Pants survey!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 08:54:23 AM »
Hi R9SCarry,

I carry a backup gun in one of my front pockets all the time and before I buy a pair of pants I always check that the pockets are deep enough. With jeans, I have a couple of pairs of relaxed fit K-Mart Route 66 jeans with very deep pockets. I don't have any trouble carrying my Kahr PM9 in my front pockets and when I get my Rohrbaugh it will be much smaller.

Frank

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 09:04:53 AM »
My slacks and suit trousers (worn daily to work) are all double pleated in front, so front pocket carry is never a problem there, and the double pleats help disguise the mass of the gun and holster (in fact, with double pleats, the gun pocket looks empty).  Even though front jeans pockets are a bit snug and don't allow anything close to a fast draw, I still prefer to carry there instead of a rear pocket (quickly becomes, literally, a pain in the butt for me).  Since I live in southwest Florida, I also wear shorts a lot, and I prefer Columbia fishing shorts, which have huge front and rear pockets, all cut on a slant.  These require a holster with large tabs to keep the gun in the proper position.  Quick draw from these shorts is easy.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 09:39:34 AM »
 Well, I'm glad to find some thinking about pockets..   A lot of guys ask me, over the phone or E mail, .." will your holster fit my pocket?"  I sometimes reply, "How many fingers am I holding up?" :D

I have found the Pleated front," Docker" type have large front pockets, but very small back pockets.  And as already noted, most jeans have all sizes of pockets, depending on the "Brand."

If you want to *carry*, it take a little adjusting, as to the clothing choices..
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »
I hear people all the time say they can't pocket carry in jeans.  I do all the time when not working -- whether jeans or jean shorts.  I wear various brands and never have a problem.  It may be that I am a bigger guy -- 36 waist and 6-02 -- but jeans work well for me.  Heck, I can carry a Glock 26 in my pocket if I feel like it.

Pleated dress pants are more troublesome for me.  Not because the pockets aren't big enough, but because the thin material prints more.  With the right holster, it doesn't print gun -- it just prints "big square blob," which I don't like either.  I find I can carry my P-3AT (and probably an R-9) in dress pants MUCH easier than my S&W snubby.

And yes -- I do try my pants on at the store with my gun in my pocket.  Best way to know for sure.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 09:52:33 AM »
My R9S fits in all styles and brands that I own.  As is said above, in many front pockets it disappears completely.  In ones that it show that something is in the pocket, who knows what it is?  With all the stuff we carry today it could be anyrhing from a wallet to a PDA.  I don't think the average citizen equates a bulge in the front pocket with a gun.  I think television has them thinking guns are only carried in a shoulder holster or on the hip.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 11:08:30 AM »
I carry my R9S or G380 all the time in the strong-side front pocket, using one of my Hedley holsters (Back Pocket or Limited Edition models).  In answer to the pants survey, if I'm not wearing a suit with pleated slacks, I'll probably be wearing BDUs.  I've tried carrying in the back pocket, but after a few hours that always seems to become the proverbial pain.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 01:08:22 PM »
I think I have become so used to having bulky full pockets, I don't really give it a thought anymore.  Between a pocket knife, keys, a bunch of change, and couple geek toys like a phone and PDA, I always have bulging pockets with or without a gun.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 01:40:40 PM »
Yeah, bulging pockets don't bother me at all when I am outside of work -- no big deal.  In a suit, in a business environment, around people I have known for years, questions can get asked that I would rather avoid.

Although some in my office know I have a permit, no one really knows my carry habits or what I carry.  Most sheeple, even if they know you have a permit, figure you don't carry in a "safe environment" like work.   :o

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 03:54:01 PM »
Jeans-No problem, just make sure the pockets are large.

For most of my casual wear which is most of the time, I wear cargo pants and shorts. I make sure the pocket is actually attached all the way around to the pant leg. In other words, not just hanging and allowing my pocket w/gun to swing and shift while standing or sitting. I also make sure that two of the additional pockets that cargo pants have, are located on the bottom half of the front pockets. This aids dramatically in the concealment. I get mine from Cabellas. They are called hiking pants and shorts.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 05:41:50 PM »
I mainly wear wrangler comfit fit jeans, they are comfortable  not baggy and the pockets are roomy enought for front pocket carry.

Shorts are wrangler or dockers cargo.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 08:58:53 PM »
I wear a lot of cargo style/BDU pants when just hanging out. In those, I never have a problem. General suits and jeans, I also haven't had a problem with. Dockers style pants vary with the manufacturer.

I always carry one firearm in my right rear pocket.

I have no problem with front pocket carry with any pocketgun that I own.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 09:37:56 PM »
Pocketman is right about those Docker cargo pants.  I think I could carry a 1911 Governtment Model in those.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 09:38:17 PM by MurrayNevada »

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 09:45:27 AM »
With my Florida relocation from Ohio, I'm converting my "wardrope" to shorts, mainly khaki, Crocadile Hunter style. I am now carrying Kahr PM9 in a fine! Hedley front pocket carry.  This is getting me in practice for my R9S when it gets here. (By that time, I'll be in living in Florida!)  

I can carry in jeans, but the pockets are too tight for nice draw.
- Dan

Offline meltap45

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 01:21:58 PM »
After many years and countless tries, the best pants for front pocket carry I have found are the relaxed-fit J crew pleated front khs.  Critical not only that pocket is deep enough but also that pocket opening is large enough to allow the fist grasping piece to come out without snagging.