Author Topic: My R9s  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Ihue

My R9s
« on: November 17, 2004, 07:17:46 PM »
Nicely crafted
Size especially thinness makes concealabilty great.
Like features, no safety, DA trigger, clean design.

First trip to range, as from factory, had 4 FTE's w/remington UMC. (80rds)
Cleaned & lubed with superlube (not food handler type!) and Breakfree CLP.

Next trip to range, used Gold Dot 115gr rejects from Ammoman. 80 rds, had 1 failure to feed.

Recoil: I'm used to 45's both fullsize 1911 and Star PD compact. I found the R9 pretty brutal. Got wounds on first knuckle of first finger (trigger) and bottom of third finger from point on bottom of magazine. I'm 6'2'', 190lb have pianist hands not meathooks!

First field strip and reassemble is difficult but doable!

I can't shoot the R9 with great accuracy but adequate for it's purpose.

Being a .45 guy I really am a little uncomfortabe moving down to a 9mm but even compact 45's are too big for comfortable carry for me. The R9's not perfect but for me it's a good compromise. It will be my carry in most circumstances.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 01:12:20 AM by Ihue »

Offline Jim

• Expert
Re: My R9s
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 11:48:29 PM »
Hey Ihue,
Welcome and thanks for the remarks on your R9S.  You are correct in that it certainly is easy to concel!!  Jim ;)
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: My R9s
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 12:27:36 AM »
Ihue, I don't think I have ever wanted to fire 80 rounds from the Rohrbaugh in one session. When I was breaking mine in, I would shoot about 30 rounds or so, at the beginning of the shooting session, and then gratefully go on to other heavier pistols, either 9mms or .45s for the rest of the session. Even so, thirty rounds with the R9s makes my trigger finger sore, not from squeezing the trigger, but from having the pistol raise "briskly" and hit that finger on the bottom side of the finger, even with a very firm two-handed grip.

Now that it's broken in, I don't fire it all that much, just a magazine or two every now and again, to stay familiar with it. Honestly, it's not a pistol I usually look forward to firing, unlike larger guns. But I do like the Rohrbaugh a lot, and appreciate how beautifully it is made and how easily it will completely disappear into a pocket with a pocket holster.

Unlike some others here, I almost always use the Rohrbaugh as a back-up, not a primary. I personally like 9mms a lot for their easy recoil and fast follow-ups, but recoil from a Rohrbaugh is not something I'd classify as "easy" by any means, it sure lets you know it's been fired! And I feel I shoot heavier pistols with longer barrels and sighting planes better than my "little beast." Still, I'm glad I have it, because as far as I'm concerned it fulfills the role of an accurate, small light pocket pistol better than any other.