Author Topic: Confused at the price??  (Read 3040 times)

Offline JJ

Confused at the price??
« on: December 19, 2004, 03:44:48 PM »
I have been interested in this pistol since I first saw it in American Hangunner. Who wouldn't be??? I just recently found this forum while I was searching for a price on the R-9s. Wow!!!! $900 bucks is out there for a company that is just comming around. They are charging a price that is way above the leading names in the buisness. Not to mention that price would fetch me a very nice Kimber.

It just confuses me when it comes to marketing. I don't doubt this is a quality firearm. I might yet spend the money on it. I was really expecting something around $400 - $450 for this pistol.

So why is the price so stink'n high?? They are really selling to a nitch market at that price. I'm just a layman when it comes to buisness, so can someone answer my question?

Offline JP

Re: Confused at the price??
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 05:56:11 PM »
Hi JJ, Welcome.
NRA Patron
SAFR

Offline JJ

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 06:03:05 PM »
Forgive my rudeness for my first post. The forum looks great and I'm finding quite abit of usefull information on it. Thanks to all of you who have purchased this firearm and have been willing to share your experiences.

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 06:12:02 PM »
Hi JJ, welcome.
I'm sure you will get many responses from those on this fine forum that are much more qualified than me. I hesitated for a short while before purchasing my R9, but spent a lot of time reading the 99% positive comments on this forum about this pistol. After about 2 1/2 months wait I got mine and couldn't be happier. The quality is evident in every component, and for me, since this is my primary carry gun, I wanted something I could be proud to own and wanted a major caliber that was easy to carry in my pocket. There are many times I wouldn't carry if I was required to use a belt holster. Other comments I might add are the buttery smooth trigger, and the reliability that I've experienced. I also purchased one of RJ Hedley's pocket holsters and have caught myself admiring the quality of both the pistol and holster more times than I'd care to admit. Sure you can get something less expensive, but you will have to give up quality, caliber, or get something larger.
I do recommend spending some time with this forum, I've found it very worthwhile.
JP
NRA Patron
SAFR

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:18:33 PM »
I will take 2 at 450.00  ;)
JJ-hang around and do some research..You will find all about the quality of these fine guns...

If you have ?s just ask-someone will be more than happy to help you out.. :)

I am a proud owner of one and will (once I get this AR15 "thing out of my blood) I WILL have a backup R9 someday... ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 08:20:12 PM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 08:55:36 PM »
JJ welcome ... (is that you John??  Chris here! - you in PA at last?)  :)

You really do have to look at what goes into this gun ... quality, precision etc .. it is not to hard then to equate to higher end 1911's and compacts.  I have 2 - one of which is now a safe queen but the other is a regular BUG and occasional primary.

Plus of course, the phenomenal R&D required to get to where things are today.  There has to be a payback.

A good browse thru the site will probably answer quite a few questions - beyond which most of us can deal with others as they come along.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 10:11:03 PM »
When comparing "prices" consider what the competition is.

9mm's that are true pocket guns - not just guns small enough that they can kinda-sorta be carried in a pocket - there is only one I am aware of.

Other pocket guns:  North American Arms, Kel-Tec, and Seecamp.  I paid $400 for my .380 North American Arms Guardian, and then spent another $500 improving the sights and trigger pull.  You'll wait 3 years for a Seecamp.  I really like my DRC-customized Kel-Tec P-32 ($300 to buy the gun, $200 to improve the sights) but I have to wonder if they are asking too much of too little material with the .380.

You can get a new Glock for $550 but they have never made a pocket gun.  My 26 can be carried in some pockets but will rapidly wear holes in pants if done daily.  Sig pistols are often about $900.  Last time I checked, an HK P7 was about $1,300.  High-end 1911's seem to run from $1,500 to $3,000.

So, I don't see the Rohrbaugh as being that expensive for what it isl, although it isn't cheap and can't be an impulse buy.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline JJ

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 10:46:13 PM »
All good points. I will probably end up buying one the next time I start to save heavily I completely wasn't expecting that big of a price when I found out yesterday.

And thanks for the welcomes!   ;D  I look forward to reading all the testimonials until I pick one up.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 01:52:17 AM »
Don't be confused... its worth it.  There are numerous posts on this topic on the board.

This gun is made from top quality materials -- aircraft grade aluminum, stainless steel, carbon fiber, Wolff springs.  There are no cast, forged or MIM parts -- unlike the Kimber you mentioned!

These guns are semi-custom, with a great deal of hand finishing and fitting.  Its also the only truly pocket-sized 9mm on the planet.  The Rohrbaughs would like to sell them cheaper -- but they can't.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com