Author Topic: Saying "hello", new R-9S, some questions  (Read 7191 times)

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
Saying "hello", new R-9S, some questions
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:07:07 PM »
Hello all. I just registered here. I see a number of folks I recognize, and some may recognize my moniker from other gun-related BBs, as I belong to a lot of 'em.

I bought a new R-9S today.
I had perused this forum for some time before deciding to actually get one.
Frankly, some targets posted by members here had made me concerned that perhaps this little gun's point of impact wasn't that well regulated with point of aim (I'd seen some posts that seemed to show a tendency to hit left of center), but I was gratified to find that my particular example put all rounds in or at least on the edge of the 2" bull at 5 yards today. It may do better, but that's as good as I can hold, and that's quite good enough for me, with a little pistol of this type.

Every one of the first 10 cartridges was a FTF. After that, things improved till by 100 rounds of Federal 9BP 115grJHP and Federal American Eagle 115grFMJ, FTFs were rare, and precision certainly improved as things "settled in".

How many rounds are recommended for a reasonable "break in"?
Since it's recommended that outer recoil spring be replaced every 250 rounds, I'd better get some spares!

The SuperLube grease recommended here can't be had at Ace Hardware in Salt Lake City. Dunno why, but it isn't stocked in any of their stores here; I checked.
They can order it, but if anyone can recommend an online source, I'd prefer to simply get it via the 'net.
Meanwhile, I've lubed the little bugger with Wilson's Ultima-Lube grease, which will hopefully work OK till I can get the other.

On field stripping, it was difficult to drift the link pin out, even with tension taken off; it's tight!

Of course I had to remove the right grip panel to see what everything under there looked like. *Sprooiing!* Then I had to figure how to reassemble the trigger spring (not too hard).

Has anyone here disassembled the slide beyond field stripping? I'd like to remove the FP to clean it and the FP channel occasionally, but if the FP stop at the rear fits like one on a 1911, it's certainly tighter than a "press-fit"; I couldn't budge it! Any recommendations on this?

Also, I see that the extractor is held in place by a roll pin; has anybody replaced this with a solid pin? (I hate roll pins.)

Anyway, I'm pleased with the little bugger.
Best.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Saying "hello", new R-9S, some quest
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:41:47 PM »
SAWBONES, welcome to the forum.

I hope you enjoy the new R9 and all the fine people here.

The following link is a good source of Super Lube.  They shipped right away for me.

http://www.heartlandtackleservice.com/

I had a hard time finding Mobil 1 0-30W, and bought it on the internet.  Pretty dumb, huh?

Now I think many agree that any high-quality lubricant will be fine.

The standard pressure Gold Dots are highly recommended by the factory.

I'm soon scheduled for the first dis-assembly and cleaning, so cannot speak much on that subject.

Welcome, again.  This is a great place to visit on the Internet.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 11:44:19 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:46:54 AM »
Speaking of grip removal -- I got my nice set of Craftsman allen wrenches out, and tried to remove the screws -- the wrench started to bend pretty good, but no movement from the screw -- I backed off, and figured I better ask -- could there be anything i was doing wrong -- are the screws coated w. loctite?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:11:16 AM »
Welcome Sawbones, Did you do that 100rds in one session? If you did you're a better man than I am. The R9 is accurate well beyond 5yds. I have had good groups at 25yds. rested. Again welcome and have fun with it. :D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 11:17:20 AM »
Thanks, guys, for the welcoming words.
Yes, I did the 100 rounds in one 20 minute session, freehand, standing.
Recoil wasn't punishing by any means, far less than shooting a S&W 340PD (a Scandium alloy J-frame revolver) with premium .357 Magnum 125gr+P JHP, which I've done extensively but without enjoyment. :'(
FWIW, I'd read posts here about putting grip tape on the frontstrap and backstrap, and so I went and bought some just in case, but it doesn't look like I'll necessarily need it.

I was rather in a hurry, and the place I had to go to buy the pistol (Impact Guns) was about an hour drive from work, and I had to get back but didn't want to forego at least starting to break the little dingus in, and seeing how it could shoot.

I probably won't even try shooting it at very long distances, except to see if I can measure spread, for fun.
I was shooting at 5-10 yards yesterday.
My first three shots were right of center, then as the pistol continued to settle in, the rounds were pretty much on target, or at least as well as I can see and hold.

I won't carry it till it seems thoroughly reliable, but I've got leather in pocket and belt varieties on the way from Matt Del Fatti, who also happens to be a left-handed Rohrbaugh owner, like me.

Gotta locate some 115gr Gold Dot JHPs to try next, and get some SuperLube!
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
SAWBONES:

Welcome aboard!

I'm with Newt on that 100 rounds in one session!  I called it quits after about 67 on the first outing with my R9s.  So far, mine has been flawless -- thankfully.  As far as its accuracy is concerned, I've been able to keep my shots in the center mass of silhouette targets at distances up to 25 yards.  I'm satisfied with that, since the Rohrbaugh was designed as a close-range defensive weapon.

Again, welcome to the Forum.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline LCP

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 03:29:26 PM »
Sawbones, welcome to the forum. I am also a left handed Rohrbaugh owner. Perhaps we should start a sub category for southpaw R9 shooters.

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 03:54:29 PM »
".... a sub category for southpaw R9 shooters."

I'm for that, if we ever have enough. Southpaws, unite!
Humani nihil alienum

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 04:00:51 PM »
BTW, after shooting maybe 50 rounds yesterday, I noticed some modest numbness developing on the inside (the side facing the middle finger) of my trigger (index) finger tip, from the trigger edge hitting the side of the finger during recoil, so I'm by no means immune to the little gun's recoil effects, but given its purpose as an easily carried hideout primary or backup gun, it's certainly an acceptable price to pay for each outing with it!
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 09:12:53 PM »
BTW, after shooting maybe 50 rounds yesterday, I noticed some modest numbness developing on the inside (the side facing the middle finger) of my trigger (index) finger tip, from the trigger edge hitting the side of the finger during recoil, so I'm by no means immune to the little gun's recoil effects, but given its purpose as an easily carried hideout primary or backup gun, it's certainly an acceptable price to pay for each outing with it!

Thank you, Doctor.  That report gives this rapidly aging "Cold Warrior" some small comfort.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 09:54:29 PM »
Welcome sawbones - glad you have your gun. :)

I personally think break-in of approx 100 should usually do it - by which stage too the best ammo should be determinable - best for your own gun.

My main soreness is the strong hand ring finger, which can get a bit beat up after a lot of rounds - consequence of such a small grip.

I wouldn't strip much beyond field strip to be honest - I reckon it'll be a long time before FP etc needs looked at.  I have considered but not tried - a blast thru FP channel with Carb cleaner followed by high pressure air blast - and finally careful lube.

I have not asked Eric this but - I would consider a brief ''re break-in'' after new spring fitting - to bed the spring and ease it a tad.  My two R9's are now broke in and pretty much rest between occasional coupla mags for practice.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 09:50:57 AM »
Another southpaw R9s owner here. I'm an experienced shooter who shot competitively in college and has owned literally dozens of handguns of all types. Nevertheless, I've had ongoing problems with my R9s since I got it last month. Karl Rohrbaugh re-designed the mag release on my pistol to address magazine self-eject problems I was having. These mostly fixed the problem, but now it's jamming.  :( Rohrbaugh Firearms is attentive and concerned, but could not duplicate any problems I've had with the gun.

I go back to the range tomorrow with a friend. If he has problems, the gun goes back to the factory, again. I'll post more about the problems in that case.

Perhaps it's an altitude thing, Sawbones (although I can't see how that makes sense), because the Rohrbaugh factory has no problem with my gun and it was jamming with everything when I got it back.

Anyway, my first range session was c. 125 rounds (I also don't find it to be all that onerous to shoot, but then I've owned a 21-ounce Ti .41 mag snubby :o ), my second about 25, then it got sent back and Karl and Eddie shot it, then I got it back and put another 100 through it. I've just gone to the second recoil spring (the first one was short and thrashed).

Recent problems jamming were with WWB, 9BPs, Silvertips (recommended to me specifically by Karl as his carry round), and 147-gr Gold Dots (which actually seemed to do better than the other rounds). I really hope my friend is able to successfully shoot my gun tomorrow (which would mean that I am doing something wrong and not the gun), since I'm really getting sick of the problems I'm having with this $900 pocket pistol that my wife gave me for a tenth anniversary present. (The tenth anniversary is today, by the way.  :D )

It cost a fortune, I don't feel I can rely on it so I don't carry it, I'm sick of calling the factory, and I'm sick of looking at the thing and worrying about it - NOT what my wife intended for a landmark anniversary present to me!  >:(  (I had our jeweler make her a nice diamond ring . . . .)

Sorry to hijack the thread with my train-of-worry.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 12:22:50 PM by Erich »

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 12:49:34 PM »
I hear ya Erich. I don't want a pistol to be anything other than thoroughly reliable either.

Judging from some folks' experiences here, my FTFs with each of the first ten rounds through my gun isn't typical, and I've now noticed a significant difference in the two supplied mags' tendency to properly feed the first round. (I tried only one mag during my first outing.)
One will consistently "nose dive" the fed round, irrespective of whether it's the first or last in the mag, and whether the slide is retracted and abruptly released or if it's eased forward, while the other mag consistently feeds rounds irrespective of order in mag and irrespective of whether the slide is snapped vs. "led" forward.
The mag which works reliably seems to have the feed lips just a bit wider than the other. I haven't measured yet, but I will.
IME, trying to bend mag feed lips as a fix for errant 1911 mags is a losing proposition, as they always deform again, but maybe these are fixable. Dunno yet.

Anyway, my trouble is obviously a mag feed issue, so I'll be calling Rohrbaugh and ordering some new mags today, along with a stock of extra recoil springs, and I'll also have to try the Silvertips and Gold Dots.
I want rounds that are reliable in feeding, accurate and precise on target and (hopefully) have effective terminal ballistic properties, hopefully not too tall an order!

As regards your current trouble, can you describe what exactly happens with "jamming", that is, is it a failure to feed or failure to extract, and is it circumstantial (related to any factor you can recognize, such as bullet ogive type, ammunition style, gun hold, position of fed round in magazine, etc.) or otherwise able to be characterized? It's the rare, unpredictable malfunctions that are the hardest to diagnose, obviously.
Best.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 02:03:08 PM »
Thanks for the concern, but I don't want to get into details/web diagnosis until I've had a chance to shoot it again with another experienced shooter. Then, if I still have problems, I'll bring it up with Karl and post in detail here.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 05:54:17 PM »
Sawbones, Welcome!!
LCP and Erich, ok guys I am left handed also, so a sub culture club is in order. Lets do it!!!!!

Erich, when your friend shoots it watch him closely and have him do the same with you. It could be something small and simple.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus