Author Topic: R9S may be  kicking back at the shooter  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
R9S may be  kicking back at the shooter
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:36:03 PM »
The Rohrbaugh folks made it known in advance that the R9S was no range gun, so we might as well get ready for a good jolt!

And that's perfectly fine.  We wanted small and powerful!

I wouldn't have thought much about it, but an X-ray revealed some arthritis in the shooting hand here, so it is  a force to be considered.

I'm thinking of drawing, and switching to the left hand for firing.  Heaven only knows how much practice that would take.

If anybody prepares a .380 barrel conversion kit, I'll have to buy one.

Have any of you been able to circumvent this problem with the shooting hand?

Perhaps the only reasonable solution is shoot a few until it hurts too much, and call it a day.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:46:14 PM by Michigunner »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: R9S may be  kicking back at the shooter
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »
Bill,

I would definitley limit my shooting if in your situation.  Sorry to hear about it.

Rohrbaugh definitley has plans for a .380 and may offer a conversion.  The .380 shoots just as sweet as can be and would be a perfect solution for you.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 03:09:34 AM »
I think a .380 would be a great solution for many people and I would love to have a conversion kit, as long as it is reliable.  I still feel these pistols are picky.  Ammo picky and picky about how they are gripped.  The grip pickyness is what concerns me.  If you're in a hurry, you don't have time to grip it just right and you sure will be preoccupied...

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 07:49:31 PM »
Thanks, Duane.  I hope they put together something as a conversion kit.  Otherwise, I may switch to the weak hand.  

It would seem to be justified just to make practice a little easier.

I already have a Bersa .380 Auto, so would not need another .380 pistol.  However, I'm fully committed to the R9S format and need to make it work, one way or another.

jarcher, I read that some of the guys were using rollerblade tape for the grip.  I'm not familiar with it, but will be looking for some.

Bill

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 09:20:33 PM »
I should be able to make this pistol work for me.  Most everyone else has had no problems, and the Rohrbough folks say my pistol is fine, so I am sure with a little practice and the right ammo, it will be fine.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: R9S may be  kicking back at the shooterje
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 10:01:16 PM »
I  expect we may see a magazine with a slight extension, like a Pierce +0 for Glocks.  That could help with any perceived griping problem.

An important characteristic of the R9 is the extremely long trigger pull.  You must be determined to fire the R9.  We are not likely to pull the trigger accidently, and that is a good safety factor.

Meanwhile, at the rearmost portion of the pull, with the finger striving to go back more, the hand may degrade into an ackward shape, considering the gun's size, such that the grip is in jeopardy and the whole hand is not well positioned for the coming jolt.

This is something that has influenced me.  I think  more practice will be required in order to execute the long trigger pull with impunity.

Bill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 11:09:56 PM »
I think you are on to something; I have short fingers and
don't have any problem with the geometry but a long
fingered shooter would run out of purchase and have to
readjust to complete the firing sequence.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 11:35:31 PM »
Thanks, tracker.

I was concerned someone would shout out:  girlie man, girlie man!  
:)

It's just going to take more and more practice to get the hand ready for the big bang.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »
Bill:

Anyone who would presume to disparage the acute pain of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis has never experienced it and would do well to pray to a merciful God that he or she never does.

Hang in there!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »
Thanks for your kind remarks, Richard.

Fortunately, the only touch of it is in the right shooting hand.

My 97-year old mother has some in both hands, but she doesn't have an R9S.   :)

For what it's worth, a few months ago she switched box springs and mattresses beween two bedrooms, all by herself.  Can you image?

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 09:19:02 PM »
My 97-year old mother has some [arthritis] in both hands, but she doesn't have an R9S.   :)

For what it's worth, a few months ago she switched box springs and mattresses beween two bedrooms, all by herself.  Can you image?

Bill:

What a remarkable woman your mother must be!  And how very fortunate you are to have her with you -- even moving furniture by herself, no less -- in her 97th year!

I lost my father in 1942 when I was 5 years old.  I was 32 when my mother died of cancer.  I barely remember my father, but I still talk privately and silently to the spirit of my indominatable mother.

I rather think that your mother and mine would have become good friends had their paths ever crossed.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 09:35:38 PM »
Richard, I'm glad you shared those private thoughts about your parents.

That's pretty tough to be without a loved one, at such a young age.

I'm hoping we will see a cure for cancer soon.  My father died of cancer, and my 95-year old mother-in-law  did, too.

One of the characteristics, I'm told, of exceptional old age is a strong mind with a strong opinion about everything.

I try to be kind and avoid arguments.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 10:30:52 PM »
Speaking of cancer, my wonderful wife just found out she has breast cancer. When it rains it pours.     Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 10:47:51 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you; my wife has
spent the last year doing the full monte on breast
cancer treatment; so far so good and I am sure your
wife will do as well. It seems like an epidemic.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 11:02:32 PM »
Gentlemen:

Given your two postings, I have permission to share this story for the greater good.

One year ago, my beloved little wife was found to have lung cancer and was given three months to live.  She decided to fight the monster with the most aggressive treatment regimen we could find.  The chemotherapy and radiation almost killed her, but she persevered.  When she was stabilized from all of that and had lost twenty pounds and all of her hair, she underwent surgery to have the top lobe of her right lung removed.  The surgery almost killed her, but she persevered.

Last month, she was given a full CAT scan and cytology screen.  It appears that she is now entirely free of cancer.  Her hair has come back, thicker and more curly than ever before.  She looks beautiful.  She feels great.  And she is back on the bench as if nothing had ever happened.

Miracles can happen, and our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"