Author Topic: pup gos to seecamp bootcamp  (Read 11651 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: pup gos to seecamp bootcamp
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2006, 07:08:58 PM »
BlueGrips:

Excellent work!  Thank you.  

If you can do that with a low resolution cellular telephone image digitally transmitted three times (first to you, next to the server of an Internet photograph host, and then to the server of the Forum, I'm beginning to think that you need to discuss career opportunities with a certain organization which has been near and dear to my heart for many years -- unless, or course, such discussion has already occurred.  (No response is expected.  8) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2006, 07:55:41 PM »
All four of my magazines fit correctly into the magazine well.  The magazine catch holds them tightly and I have no play (btw-my gun has zero failures).  I have not disassembled the magazine catch, but I see it is held in place with a pin.  I am wondering of some of these catches were manufactured incorrectly or the magazine manufactured incorrectly.  If someone is having trouble I strongly recommend them shimming between the magazine catch and the magazine floor plate.  One could use a cut off piece of feeler gauge taped in place for testing.  I could see this causing issues.  If this would fix your pistol I think returning it to the factory for warranty repair along with a note explaining your findings may work.  However if you do not have a warranty for your pistol it would not be hard to modify the existing catch or magazine to fix this.  Then again maybe I am polluted and missing the whole point.  Is this what you all are surmising?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 07:56:36 PM by bigyimmy »

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 08:52:48 PM »
From what I see, with factory floorplates, A small amount of play between the magazine floorplate and the grip is necessary to push the magazine further in to move the retaining catch out of the way due to a small lip on the edge of the catch witch fits in to a groove in the floorplate. However, it seems on SOME R-9s, this "play" is excessive in that feed/jam problems and at least two (2) accidental mag jettisons have occured as noted on this forum. With the mod, absolutely no play is noted, nor is thier a machined groove for the "lip" of the catch to sit in.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 11:44:15 PM »
Did anyone ever run this b Eric or Karl?

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
I know this is a LONG dead thread, but from the experience I had with my R9 I feel this might have been a "fix"!

If you look at the back of your R9 Magazine & Floorplate you will see that the floorplate fits on somewhat like this:   /_______\    instead of being stamped like this: [______] the angled sides of the floorplate hinder it being raised higher in the mag well.

Now the thought is that IF you had a floorplate that fit tight against the "rails" on each side of the magazine, that would allow the magazine to be pushed higher in to the mag well. You would have to have a pad on the bottom of the floorplate so it would ride higher.

Almost all of the problems I had seemed to be from too steep of angle for the round to enter the chamber.   

Thoughts?
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »
Mine with curved mag extensions have a small amount of play, making ejection of the empty mag possible.  I have no problems with feeding...my Covert was rebuilt by Karl last year...has something been done at the factory that addressed this issue (I found no response from KR in this thread but assume he was aware of the issue back in 2006)?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis