Author Topic: Upgrade to FAQ site  (Read 1530 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Upgrade to FAQ site
« on: November 15, 2006, 05:29:36 PM »
The Rohrbaugh FAQ Site

I have long planned to try and sort out the rather chaotic old index page on the site - I kept adding stuff but it was becoming less than user friendly.

Just today I have finished writing the contents for a dynamic menu - which should be cross-browser compatible.  The downside is, your browser has to download the associated files it uses and so a small delay - which is a bit irritating but I think (hopefully) is offset by the usefullness of this means of navigation.

The top button is the main index menu - the buttons below reflecting what I had before.  You should find once over the "FAQ Index" button that you get a main categories flyout, from which things are sub divided.  Some placings re categories are difficult but hopefully it will make some sense.

The menu is set up to give ''tool tips'' - tho not sure whether all browsers will respond.  These are short notes about the item in question and should appear while hovering.  Works in IE and Opera anyways.  

There is a fairly new page "Jottings'', under ''Miscellaneous" which is for bits and pieces over time.

I still have some updates and edits to make - some aspects have gotten a tad out of date but hopefully cross links help to hook up to newer materials.  I hope to gradually get this done.

I could use folk's help tho - I'd like to know if the new system of navigation is working for you, and if useful.  Also I would welcome suggestions for new subject matter and have considered in ''Jottings'' or a fresh page, linking back to specific forum threads.  I don't tho want to finish up with too much.

So - suggestions, spotted errors, dead links etc - please bring it on!! ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Upgrade to FAQ site
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:07:25 PM »
Chris:

Thank you for the excellent work!  I find myself referring to the FAQ site every few weeks or so for one reason or another.  I always seem to find the information I need.  The site is a unique asset, and all of us who own one of the R9s owe you a debt of gratitude.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:15:43 PM »
Thx for the thx Richard, I have enjoyed making a small effort to help those new to the pup. - but, re my questions.

Was menu showing right?  Was navigation easier you think?  And, I do want you and others to pick holes - what might yet be missing, mistakes, anything that is not gelling.?

I didn't realize until putting this together that I'd not gotten to adding a page for RJ and his Stop Sticks!.  It's hard to keep up to date too when it is something I am not working on that often - too easy to forget something I should have added or changed.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GAPhatty

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:34:38 PM »
Chris:

The revised FAQ menu structure is indeed easier to navigate.  I used Firefox 1.06 and all worked as expected, including the tooltips on mouseover.

Your efforts benefit us all - thank you!  :D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »
Thank you Sir - and I don't believe I have yet said a hearty ''welcome'' to you :)

Feedback is most useful.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GAPhatty

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 11:01:48 PM »
You probably did a few months ago - I found the forum and your FAQ site to be invaluable while considering the purchase of a pup.  Your site shares many practical tips that take some of the mystery out of the R9, which was a big help for me.

Was able to get one of the early Stealth models and am completely pleased with the quality and performance.  Also have a couple of Hedley holsters on order and already have one of his brass takedown tools.

I read others' posts frequently and enjoy the information, but don't often contribute, as the pup has thus far been as reliable as any semi-auto I have, and by far one of the best in terms of quality.  I have no complaints and don't want to get in a pi**ing contest with those that seem to expect more than they should from any mechanical device.

Sorry for the drift - the FAQ site is a significant contribution to the R9 owners' community!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 08:21:20 AM »
Chris:

Sorry.  Old lawyers are sometimes the worst offenders when it comes to responding generally to specific questions rather than answering them directly.   :-[

1.  I like the new menu, it displays correctly for me, and my browser seems to navigate it more easily than it did before.

2.  The "Jottings" page is a useful idea which should increase in value over time.

3.  Adding RJ's "Stop Stick" was a needed amendment -- although that tool may soon become a collectors item unless RJ can be persuaded to produce another batch.

Thank you again for your excellent and helpful work!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"