Author Topic: This is such a dilema...  (Read 6036 times)

Offline rnapz

This is such a dilema...
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:06:16 PM »
New to the awsome forum here.  Been lurking for a while and finally signed up.  After doing extensive research, i have decided I want to get one of the Rohrbaugh guns.  I have been driving myself crazy over the past few weeks over which one to get...on one hand, I am concerned of not having enough accuracy and speed with the R9 due to the much talked about recoil.  On the other hand, the stopping power of the 380 is another highly debated subject.

I wish there was a way to shoot the R9 to see for myself how bad that recoil really is.  Currently I shoot a Kimber Pro Covert II (28oz empty) in a 45cal and that seems a bit manageable to me though shot to shot times are not as fast as I would like. It gets quite a bit worse when I practice with one hand.  

If anyone is aware of a shooting range in or around Houston that might have one to shoot with, I am all ears.  All suggestions are welcome and thank you for making this such a great forum.  :)

Best Regards,
Ramon
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
Re: This is such a dilema...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »
Maybe someone in the Houston area will offer to meet you at the range with an R9  ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »
Ramon.  Welcome to the Forum.  A lot of us have purchased an R9 sight unseen of which I am one.  If you shoot a Kimber Covert .45, you should have no problems.  Again, welcome.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline rnapz

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
Thank you FloridaCCW...hadn't even occured to me that someone might actually let me shoot their gun.

Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline rnapz

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
KJTrains,
Thank you for the response.  Can I assume then that the Kimber has more kick than the R9?
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:47:47 PM »
Ramon,
   Welcome to the group.
     I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II, and I would say the 45 has a different kick. The 45 has a larger and wider grip which spreads the recoil over a larger portion of the palm. The R9 demonstrates a little snappier recoil but by no means would I class it as punishing or severe. If you can handle the Pro Covert I don't think the R9 will be a problem, also remember the R9 is not something you are going to shoot a hundred rounds per range trip like you would with the Kimber.
  I say if you can shoot one first great, and if not buy one and I believe you will be pleased with the R9. Check with Tom Watson
(The Irish Guard) about ordering one.
 Best of luck with your decision.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rnapz

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:30 AM »
Thank you Yankee...I guess that kind of settles not going 380 with my decision.  
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline rnapz

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:57:06 AM »
BTW, the reason for shooting the gun before purchase wasn't because I had doubts about the Rohrbaugh purchase but because I wanted to get a feel as to how bad that bite was on the 9 vs. the 380
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »
Just for information, I have both the R9 and .380 and the bite on the R9 is substanially more than the .380 but definitely not unbearable.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline rnapz

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »
kjtrains, do you feel that a double tap on the R9 hard to do and control?
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »
Ramon.  The answer is no, however, I'm use to shooting a .454 Alaskan, .454 Freedom Arms, Taurus Judge, .357 Sig, Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, and .45 ACP one handed, so the R9 is similiar to a peashooter, so to speak, after shooting these.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:29:23 PM by kjtrains »

Offline rnapz

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
What size ammo are you accustomed to running through it? Brand?
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »
I only use Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips and have never used anything else.  I know they are scare now, but Winchester is supposed to start producing again 4/15/10 so should be in stores in May.

Fortunately, I have an excellent suppy, so I'm set for a very long time.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
Ramon:

Welcome to the Forum!

As for the recoil of the R9 -- recognizing that felt recoil is highly subjective, I think you will find the R9's recoil to be entirely maneageable. I would describe it as "crisp," but I've got straight-blowback pistols chambered for .32 ACP which are about the same. You should have no trouble with the R9.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
Ramon,
   I have shot 115gr Winchester Silvertips and WWB FMJs, Winchester Ranger SXT 147gr, Remington UMC 115gr FMJ., Speere Gold Dot 115 and 124gr. Federal Hydra Shock 147gr, Blazer 115gr, Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. and maybe a couple of others I have forgotten.
   All have functioned without a problem in my pup, try whatever you have and decide what works best for you and your gun, I use Winchester White Box for practice, and follow up a shooting session of those with a mag of my carry ammo.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson