Author Topic: This is such a dilema...  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
Re: This is such a dilema...
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »
Ramon,

Welcome to the forum.  I too believe that you will have no trouble with the "felt recoil" or the "control" of the R9.  Including the "double taps" you like to practice.  I believe you'll be very happy with the pistol.  I would bet that most of us bought the Pup without ever having fired one.

What I would recommend is that you purchase one of Yankee 2500's beautiful mag extenders.  I believe you'll find that the extra finger on the grip decreases "felt recoil" and increases "control" for follow up shots.  

Que le vaya bien,  Quiet1
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
Ramon,  Go for the R9.  It has a stiff recoil, but is more than manageable for anyone familiar with handguns.  
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline rnapz

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
I am one step closer to getting my first little R9.  I did hear something disheartening today from the largest local dealer (I will not name names).  He said he had stopped carrying the Rohrbaugh's because they were not meant to shoot 1,000 - 2,000rds.  His exact words were that they did not last that long and were actually breaking down after a few hundred rds.

I understand that this gun is supposed to be carried a lot and shot only a bit but this just doesn't sound right to me.  Not for a gun that costs this much.  Maybe some of you can shed a bit of light on this.  Has anyone here made it to 1,000rds or more?

I don't think this will change my decision...in fact, I already had a very good conversation with one of the very prominent Dallas dealers displayed in this forum.  He was extremely helpful and now its just a matter of figuring out my finances since credit cards are not an option for this very nice gentleman.  

Again, please understand that this doesn't sway my decision one way or another but any light any of you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
I've heard of one R9 with around 5,000 rds put through.  See last post in the link, harrydog.  I would think by now, there would be others.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1178066855
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:55:00 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »
Ramon:

I've read the regulations governing FFL eligibility. Fortunately, nowhere in that voluminous collection of bureaucratic wisdom is "infallibility" mentioned as a requirement for issuance of the license.

For what it's worth, I've owned and carried my R9 for nearly six years. It has shown no vices.  

My advice -- Go for it!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Here is a link and it states Rohrbaugh has a test gun with over 5000 rounds through it in 2004

Back in 2004, the Administrator of the Forum posted a letter from a factory representative reporting 5,000 rounds had been run through a test gun (see Fact 2):

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1091220026;start=1#1

John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:03:41 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »
John.  Can't get anything on the link.  Try this one.  Yours is the same, just the last part didn't get included in the color.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1091220026;start=1#1
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:02:52 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »
kj,
  thanks I fixed the link.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline FB3

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
As far as recoil on the R9, I do not feel it is too bad.  I would recommend that you put some skateboard tape on the front and rear strap of the gun.  This really aids in controllability.  

I bought a new Seecamp 380 when they first came out and it is an awful gun to shoot.  The R9 is much easier on the hand.

Just remember, the R9 is not a target pistol for shooting several hundred rounds a day.  Get used to it and you will really love it.  

Change recoil springs about every 200 rounds and you will be good to go!  These pistols are very well made high quality pieces.  Well worth the price.
Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is awfully high

Offline rnapz

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 12:58:26 AM »
Thanks again for everyone's input...I a buying the R9 as soon as possible.
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »
Excellent decision.     :)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »
Ramon, welcome to the forum, enjoy reading and posting. I also enjoyed visiting with you by phone yesterday.
I have 2 old customers, they both got their R9s 5-6 years ago. They have called me and told me that they have shot 5,000 to 6,000 rounds with no problems. Both of them bought the pistol sight unseen as most folks here. Birdman of this forum also owns both the R9s and K380, he carries the R9s.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 01:34:50 PM »
R,

There are a few videos on youtube of the R9 being shot. Obviously it's not the same as shooting on yourself, but you'll get the jest of it. You can always port it to tame the recoil more also...

Mark
Mark

Offline rnapz

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 09:48:45 PM »
Thanks Tom...check should be in the mail this week.

Mark, I am pretty new to a lot of this.  Could you please share the pros and cons of porting?  thanks.
Best Regards,
Ramon

Offline Tse_Gee_La

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
rnapz,

If you still want to try shooting one, I am in Friendswood just south of Houston.  There is a range down the street and you can try shooting my R9.

Just let me know and we can set something up.