Author Topic: Completely disassembled R9s today!  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Completely disassembled R9s today!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:51 PM »
I'm impressed! (And it takes a lot to impress me anymore.)

As for that long knocker's golf tee, I noticed it even though I gave up golf 30 years ago after having thrown a $300 putter into a water hazard.   ::)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 07:15:34 PM »

What kind of putter was that costing $300 30 years ago? I have thrown entire sets into the pond, left putters in tops of trees, and even snapped every shaft in an iron set across my leg. "Terrible" Tommy Bolt said the most important thing is to throw the club forward so you don't have to walk back to pick it up.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »
I use to be bad about that, as well.  Throw the golf club, yes, always forward and archery the same;  would throw the bow, never the arrows.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »

I would think a golf club would feel better to throw than a bow but don't know for certain.

Offline Rich_G

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
Tracker, I have seen a putter to the likes that Richard speaks of, it has a Gold Shaft! ;D
I use the cheap $100 putters, and have thrown a custom 7 iron in a hazard also! Had to purchase a new complete set!
Now I throw them forward! ;)
Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
I would think a golf club would feel better to throw than a bow but don't know for certain.

It's not, which is better, but both have the same flustrations for me.  If I made a bad tee shot in golf and thought I should have done better, or a bad putt; or if on the archery range, made a not so good target hit, the bow would go.  Still have the bow and no damage; not the clubs.    ;D  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »

A golf course can be a dangerous place. Once, while playing a 50 cent Nassau I suggested to my opponent while he was bending over his short putt that his next putt was good. He responded by standing up, doing a 270 degree turn and forcefully throwing his putter at me as I hit the deck. Another time I hit into the slow group ahead on a par three and the gentleman on the green took out an eight iron and hit it back to me. All of these adventures and more happened before I was 17. Bill Russell said that his mother told him to stay off the golf course because of the bad characters there. He said she was right.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
Great story there, tracker.  Glad you were not injured.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

Another time I was injured due to my own stupidity. I was playing in a match play tournament and teed off on the first hole. I was so impressed with my shot that I walked behind the opposing player as he was swinging. His club cracked me across the left eyebrow; that was the end of that match; funny what the picture of a tee can do to spark recollections.

Offline Rich_G

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »
Your right Tracker, I just might invest in one of John's take down tools after all this! ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
I dunno, Rich!  Seems like you're doing OK without a tool.  However, it would be good to have.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »

We appreciate what you showed us, Rich; that is the beauty of this forum.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:58 PM »
Rich.  We'll now be looking forward to the step by step.  Excellent.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »
Tracker:

It was one of those "whizbang" custom putters of the day. I've forgotten who made it, but I purchased it in London back when I was considerably more liberal with my money than was good for me. Around the same time, I also purchased a few custom suits (from some shop the name of which I have also forgotten) on Savile Row, and a pair of custom John Lobb riding boots. I wore out the suits, still have and use the boots, but never even tried to retrieve the putter. (Maybe the greens keeper did.) One thing I realized with crystalline clarity at that moment was that I would never be anything more than a "duffer" in golf. I decided that life was too short not to concentrate on activities in which, as Hemingway would say, I could at least aspire to "look good in there."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Rich_G

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »
I know, right. That’s why I don’t post much-I’m too busy reading earlier threads on this forum. (Well that and looking for my golf ball) Excellent information here and fun too!