Author Topic: Light Strike or R9s with GD 115gr Advice Needed  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
Light Strike or R9s with GD 115gr Advice Needed
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
Hello Rohrbaugh experts I a FTF (failure to fire) today, and I need some advice from everyone. I have an Early Deer Park R9s with 101 rounds total through the gun all have been Gold Dot 115gr rounds.  To date there have been no jams, ejector failures it been 100% failure free.  I usually fire 13rds once a month through the gun…today it has been around 3 months since I have fired the R9s and on 7th (last round in mag) I got the dredged “click”, waited and ejected the round.  I fired my other “carry mag” and all 6rds when off without a hitch.  I also re-chambered the round and still the round did not go off when fired.  The gun and spare mags have been back pocket for 3 months. Should I be concerned that my R9s is exhibiting light primer strikes or this hard primer ammo related? I have personally seen this with Hornady CD ammo but never with any Gold Dots in any of my guns.  Below is a picture of the round along with other spent shell casing from the mag.  
Thanks for all help,
Mike

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Light Strike or R9s with GD 115gr Advice Neede
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:02:16 PM »
I don't see a light primer strike among the three. A long-distance diagnosis would be that there was a defective primer -- a primer that was rendered defective during manufacture or was somehow later degraded by some penetrating agent. I've never had a Speer cartridge of any caliber fail to fire, but "Murphy's Law" is always in effect. If it were my call, I might just purchase another box of Gold Dots from another lot, fire a few of the new cartridges for test purposes, and then hold the remaining cartridges from the box which contained the "dud" for range work.

In the meantime, I would consign that "dud" to some deep and stony grave.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:08:25 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:58:14 PM »
Mike, you know that I know that R9. Never had an issue with light strikes, and by the looks of those three pics, there are non there.
I certainly agree with Richard, and I believe this too is ammo related. This really bothers me because I had high hopes with Gold Dots as the best SD ammo out there with the best consistencie.
Please try another lot and report back on this.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
I agree with Richard.  I would consider that a dud.  I have never heard of any problems with Gold Dots either.  There's always a first time as Richard pointed out with the Murphy's Law thing.  No light primer strikes that I see.  

Good suggestion on the remaining box and burial spot for the dud.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »
Does not look like a light strike...  Your R9 seems to be working fine  ;D

Offline Chihuahua TN

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
Thank for everyone responding, I also believe that I had a defective "gold dot", the round came from a 50rd LE box, interesting I know. Its frustrating to know that it was in my carry mag. I need to cycle through my carry ammo more often. I'm going to shoot some more this week, let guys know how it turns out,

chameleon the gun is awesome, I even obtained a set of blue CF's to add for show,
thanks,
Mike

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:51:24 PM »
Now that is awesome!  Blue CF's.  Excellent!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
Hey Mike that gun was ment to have factory black CF's on it.  And would you belive I have a set that I would LOVE to trade for a blue set.  Ain't that a coincidence!   ;D
Corey

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:59:24 PM »
I wish I had a set to trade for some blues!    ;D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:47:12 PM »
Corey,
  How many sets of Blue have you had ?

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
Corey,
  How many sets of Blue have you had ?

John

I have/had 7 sets total of blues.  Some were on guns some were not.  I wished I still had 7 sets!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »
Me too!  Maybe you would sell me one of your extra sets, then, you didn't need!    ;D

Offline Chihuahua TN

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
*Update*, today I shot 40rds GD 115gr from another box without any issues (141 total on same spring). I still am perplexed that "the one GD round" is the only issue I have ever had with GD ammo. I also introduced the guy in the next lane to Rohrbaugh's after one mag his response was ..."AWESOME",
Mike

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:02:38 PM »
Mike.  Certainly glad everything turned out well.  Thanks for the update.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »
That's good news.  Glad it was just a dud ammo.  I think with the ammo companies being SO busy trying to catch up on orders that things are making it out the door that did not used to.