Author Topic: Light Strike or R9s with GD 115gr Advice Needed  (Read 6079 times)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
Re: Light Strike or R9s with GD 115gr Advice Neede
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:43 PM »
I feel better now. You probably more than doubled the round shot count from that pistol in that one outing!
Thanks for the update.

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 02:54:57 AM »
The round on the right looks to me to have a lighter strike than the other two.  

I'm far from expert, but it looks like the "dimple" is smaller to me.  

Is that just my eyes?  
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 10:39:58 AM »
While the casing on the right in the photograph shows a slightly different firing-pin imprint and may indeed have been the culprit (Mike didn't specify which one it was), that is not what I would consider to be a light primer strike. Rather, it appears to me to be a clear stike pattern of sufficient depth to have ignited a properly functioning primer. The slight difference in appearance may be due to a slightly harder primer -- but having been struck as hard as it was to leave the resulting impression, the primer material should have ignited and the cartridge should have fired.

"S***" happens, as we used to say, and even Speer and its superior Gold Dot ammunition are not exempt from "Murphy's Law." I think this was simply an extremely rare Gold Dot "dud" caused, as previously speculated, by either a glitch during manufacturing and/or contamination of the shock-sensitive explosive primer material by a penetrating agent of some type (e.g., solvent, oil, moisture, etc., etc.).
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »

I agree with Richard. The light primer strikes due to hard primers that I have seen in Hornady CD look like fried eggs with no dimple. That is a different animal even though the results are the same as yours except yours was a one-off.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
Yep!  A dud is a dud.  That primer was hit hard and deep enough to go off.  Sometimes things just happen.  Richard explained it well.  Murphy's Law shows no personal favorites.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 02:34:56 PM »
Regarding my previous statement that Mike had not specified the "culprit," a third look on my part shows that he didn't need to do so. The "dud" would indeed appear to be the one on the viewer's right. I had been concentrating so much on the primer strikes that I failed to notice the difference in height of the casings in the container. The two cases to the viewer's left in Mike's photo are obviously lower in the container, indicating that each of them fired.

Further than the aforesaid clarification deponent sayeth not other than to reaffirm all other aspects of his previous testimony.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:42:09 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »
NOT  in the court room, Richard!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
Sorry. I'm in the middle of writing a federal appellate brief and just checked in over here for a breath of fresh air.   ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together!  Hope the appellate brief goes well.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 07:34:34 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together!  Hope the appellate brief goes well.  

So does the client.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
Success is at the hands of the beholder!  No, wait a minute.  That was something else, like, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  Oh well, not the same thing.  I'm sure the client will be pleased.    :)  

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 07:58:04 PM »
I am sorry for the confusion it was the one on the right, and it did not fire after 2nd attempt as well. Thanks for everyones responses....I.. as of now I am believing its a dud, however will keep everyone informed,
Mike
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:07:13 AM by chihuahuatn »

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 09:50:16 PM »
Just for fun, how about you try that round in another gun?  

I'd be curious to see if it fired.  The strike on the on the right still looks significantly smaller to me...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »

What would be the point of that other than to show that the R9 may tend to be a light striker? Of course you could verify the dud aspect but it would be a bit disconcerting if it fired.

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
Just for fun, how about you try that round in another gun?  

I'd be curious to see if it fired.  The strike on the on the right still looks significantly smaller to me...

Will do that with my Feg HP clone beater.............
Mike