Author Topic: New Info from Rohrbaugh -- Grips and Frames  (Read 6857 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
New Info from Rohrbaugh -- Grips and Frames
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:44:15 PM »
I just got some interesting new info from Eric Rohrbaugh that he said I could pass along…

Grip Panels

Apparently they are moving to in-house production of the grip panels.  There is an assortment of new materials they have been considering for the grip panels.  (Eric sent me one of their carbon fiber samples for use in a “secret” project Kevin and I are working on – more details later).   Eric and Karl are strongly favoring black carbon fiber, but also like a maroon carbon fiber too, as well as some “other materials” under consideration.

They may be able to offer different color carbon fiber grips as an accessory in the future, but they are rather pricey--roughly $75 - $85.00.  All of these are possibilities for the future – and still uncertain.

Silver Frames

With regard to the silver framed R-9 pistols, they have had some "issues" with the uniformity of the clear hard coat anodizing process.  Karl and Eric decided not to offer the silver framed version at this time due to those irregularities. Whether they offer it again at a later date will depend on the amount of interest in that version. As of right now, they do not plan to offer the silver finish in the foreseeable future. Consider it a permanent decision for now.

Eric gave me permission to pass this along as some “inside scoop” for forum members, but its all a bit up in the air right now – just some stuff to chew on.  Please don’t call and bug him about when these things will be available, or it will shut down our information pipeline!  I will let you guys know whatever else I hear and you guys can do the same.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
Re: New Info from Rohrbaugh -- Grips and Frames
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 09:54:01 PM »
 ;D I might be "colorblind", but maroon panels on a grey frame with the stainless slide would make a great accessory to my blue italian suit. ;)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 10:14:09 PM »
Duane:
My silver framed R9S looks fine to me.  Is the problem something happening to the silver frames after manufacture or during manufacture?  In other words, is there a potential for a problem to occur in the future with the silver frames?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 10:26:38 PM »
My impression is that it was a manufacturing issue -- and they didn't let the ones that came out badly leave the factory.  I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 10:59:26 PM »
Thank you for the information.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 11:28:02 PM »
Duane:
Thanks for the peace of mind.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 11:33:55 PM »
Thx Duane ..... useful heads up.

I too got the impression that silver frames were too likely to produce a high ''reject'' rate .. Mike's, Jodey's mine and others with silver frame .. were ones that were OK of course .. or they'd never have made it out the door!

Does make these early ones a bit special eh? :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 11:36:36 PM »
Chris:
Does that make ours "collectors items?"  If so, should we put them away and order a gray frame for carry?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 11:44:48 PM »
In one sense Mike I think so ... tho mine will not have a totally quiet time until #2 comes in the fall or after - and that will by default be gray frame I assume - and be carried much!!  I reckon what I want to avoid doing too much with #1 - is regular carry.  It will of course be there now and again but I'd hate to mar it badly.  Just shooting it - not so bad.

My #1 will even now not be as ''NIB'' collectible ... never really intended that but - from a rarity and interest angle, these early ones will I suspect carry a slight premium in value.  Anyways - who's to say I am even thinking of moving on #1 .. leastways -  not before I become worm fodder! :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Oscar

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 11:27:01 PM »
Duane:  Could you possibly post some photos of the grips of which you spoke?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 01:33:58 AM »
I will post pics soon of the new project Kevin and I are working on that involves carbon fiber...

But, the sample we got was NOT one of the new choices for R-9 grips -- it was a color they rejected.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline packin_heat

• Sultan of Swing, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 01:00:35 PM »
In my "Handguns 2004" book, which has lots of stuff from the 2003 SHOT show, there is a picture of an early Rohrbaugh, without sights. Seems to me the grips look Ivory, or imitation Ivory. It is a black & white photo. Was this ever an option, or is it gonna be? Or just a pre-production test grip?
"Shop smart, shop S-Mart"
"Pphh...English, who needs that? I'm never going to England!"
"I didn't go to work today. The voices told me to stay home and clean the guns".

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
I will post pics soon of the new project Kevin and I are working on that involves carbon fiber...

But, the sample we got was NOT one of the new choices for R-9 grips -- it was a color they rejected.

DD, did this project ever surface?  If so can you post a link.  Im just researching the rarities of Rohrbaugh and remembered this post.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »

Now, that is a glimpse from the fleeting past. I had not seen the discussion on the silver frames before.

Offline Hayabusa

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »
Heartbreaker!  I didn't look at the date on the original post and was psyched at the possibility of black carbon fiber grips that don't cost $300 plus.

See you later, I'm going off into a corner to cry like a little girl.