Author Topic: Check this out! :-D  (Read 8866 times)

Offline lawmanv16

Check this out! :-D
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
Hello everybody!  I have been reading posts on the forum for some time now, both before and ever since the purchase of a brand-new R9S a couple of months ago.  I've got  250 rounds through it so far and it has been nearly flawless in terms of operation.  I say nearly because it does not agree with WWB; failures to extract abound, as the extractor regularly slips off the case rim, about once per magazine or perhaps once every other magazine.  No big deal, as Speer Lawman and American Eagle have fed and ejected just fine for practice and Ive not had a single malfunction in 3 boxes of gold dots.  I do have a question that your expertise may help with, however.  Several forum members have said that tension of the recoil spring has not affected function at the 200 round mark and even beyond, and I carry with a fresh spring in the gun so it is not a big deal but I have had one or two failures to feed with ammo that has otherwise worked perfectly, and failures occured as the spring got to the end of its suggested service life.  I may not have been holding the gun tight enough, but this was never a problem with fresh springs; my question is will a weaker spring leave the gun more susceptible to FEED failures from improper grip?  I know an improper grip can lead to failures to eject, but its effect on feed issues does not seem to have been discussed.  Both of the feed failures resulted in the nose of the bullet jamming against the top wall of the chamber, and pushing the slide forward made the round chamber correctly so it makes me think that the issue was the weak recoil spring, which is about a quarter of an inch shorter than a new one after 200 rounds.  Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated,  the problem has been nonexistent with fresh springs and does not keep me from carrying my R9s in this gorgeous chocolate alligator back-pocket holster from Doug of Bear Creek Holsters, whose fantastic craftsmanship is available for THE best prices around!  :-D

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Check this out! :-D
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum and I am glad you like your new Rohrbaugh.  Nice looking holster also.

It appears to me that you have answered your own question.  If it works with a new spring but not with one that has the 200 rounds on it, it sure sounds like it is the spring to me.

The Rohrbaughs have been making and testing these pistols for close to 10 years now, and if they say to change the spring I will.  Shooting with a weekened spring could have the same affect as shooting +P ammo in it also shortening the life of the pistol.

Good luck with it.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
lawmanv16 welcome to the group.
Sounds like changing springs when required is the way to go.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:03:40 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »
lawman.  Welcome.  The changing of the springs have it.  Do enjoy!   
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum lawman.  And congrats on your R9.

If you are going to fudge on your springs (being ready to change) then you better have a rock steady grip.  If you are going to fudge on your grip, then you better have fresh springs, but no garauntee on reliabilty. 

Best receipe for reliabilty - firm grip, fresh spring, right ammo. 
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »
Welcome Lawman...change the spring...in the beginning, I was doing a little test to see just how many rounds I could get out of a spring before changing it (there's an old post on here someplace), then some of the more experienced members pointed that the weak spring can lead to damage to the pistol even if it seemed to be performing fine...something about the weak spring letting the slide slam too hard...  Perhaps someone smarter than I on the subject can repeat some of those words.  I just ordered a batch of springs from Rohrbaugh for $4.99 each...I think it's an excellent insurance policy. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:33:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum Lawman, I think you'll find this forum populated by a bunch of all around nice people who are always willing to help out. I agree with the other posts about adhering to the suggested spring changing intervals. I actually play it a little safer and change mine at about 100 to 150 rounds. I ordered 5 or 6 a few months ago so I'd always have a few fresh ones on hand. You may also want to check out Yankee's post in the classified section and order some replacement grip screws. Unlike most other pistols, the grip screws need to be tight (especially on the right grip) to function properly so I like to have extra screws on hand as well.

Offline lawmanv16

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:16:31 PM »
Grip screws, got it. Thanks for the advice, I swapped my spring out a little shy of 250 rounds for the very reason you guys have cited, only went over because I wanted to have a fresh one for carry until i order more (anybody know shipping for springs from the factory by chance? I know I could just call them, but if i can get the info here it's all the same to me, it doesnt list a cost for shipping springs on the form i printed, and shipping for everything else was listed....).  Don't wanna damage something that has grown so much on me, we are practically inseparable these days! :-) Was wondering if anybody has had similar experiences towards the end of the spring cycle, just for curiosity's sake I guess! thanks again for the advice :-D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Lawman:

Welcome to the Forum, and judging from your "handle," I thank you for your service in law enforcement.

The recoil springs of the R9 have a lot of work to do to handle a full-house 9mm Parabellum cartridge in a 13-ounce work of art. The springs cost $4.99 each, which is about the cost of five rounds of top-line 9mm ammunition these days. I'm obsessive-compulsive about the early Farmingdale R9 that has been my EDC since May 2004 and I have adhered to the mantra of changing recoil springs after each 200 rounds or so. That little masterpiece still looks rather good and is my pocket as I type this post:

Edit: Corrected typo in date.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:06:27 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:24:25 PM »
I can't recall exactly how much shipping was but I want to say it was only about $5 or so.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
I just ordred, this week,  five springs and a black magazine.  The shipping for everything was $5.00.  I think it's not listed on the form because it depends on what all you purchase.  When I placed my order, she commented that everything can fit in a standard USPS mailer. 

I'm thinking that the black magazine, VZ carbon fiber grips, and Yank's black hooked grip extension will look pretty decent on my stealth...  ;D
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »
They do indeed!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
WHOOPS!  Don't have a new picture since putting on the VZ carbon fibers.  Oh, well. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 10:37:04 AM »
Looks good Backup...I get the idea...do you like the carbon fiber VZ's?  If you have a pic, I'd sure like to see before I place my order.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
I'll get a pic out this pm. 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis