Author Topic: Gun Show Find  (Read 11815 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Gun Show Find
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
I have to agree with you on the VZ grips.  They look good and shoot good.

I have VZ grips on my Solo and I put them on a Colt Combat Elite that I have put a 460 Rowland conversion on.  They really fill your hand and give you the grip you need.

They really have a wide variety now.  Some are actually too aggressive in my opinion.

tattoo  -  I am keeping the blues for now but I will keep you in mind.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 08:34:47 PM »
Yes agree. . . . Some of the new patterns on grips actually hurt as they have gotten to be too sharp, IMHO anyway.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 01:11:45 AM »
MRC,what a great find with the Farmy! I am jealous.
A steal like that I've never fell into!
The pup looks unmolested for sure,and to get it for close to originaL MSRP,wow.

Concerning the grips,I have always loved the Blues! 8) Thats why I looked out to pick them up whenever I could,and sometimes they came with a Pup!!
Congrats on the find and I'd be interested in seeing the grips after any treatment to them.
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
Thanks Eric.

I have a 40X loupe that I looked at the grips with and they are not worn at all, the blue is just at the top like you say.  I think I have another set somewhere.  I just do not like the looks of this set.

Personally, I have never liked the blue grips.  I have always thought that the black was much better looking and in fact, that is what brought my attention to the R9 in the first place.

For shooting, the flat carbon fiber are not very good in my opinion.

Those grips, if you hold on to them any longer are volatile and may blow up in your hands!!! Please send them to me for proper disposal ; )

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
Thanks Eric.

I have a 40X loupe that I looked at the grips with and they are not worn at all, the blue is just at the top like you say.  I think I have another set somewhere.  I just do not like the looks of this set.

Personally, I have never liked the blue grips.  I have always thought that the black was much better looking and in fact, that is what brought my attention to the R9 in the first place.

For shooting, the flat carbon fiber are not very good in my opinion.

Those grips, if you hold on to them any longer are volatile and may blow up in your hands!!! Please send them to me for proper disposal ; )
i asked first.  😡

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
MRC,what a great find with the Farmy! I am jealous.
A steal like that I've never fell into!
The pup looks unmolested for sure,and to get it for close to originaL MSRP,wow.

Concerning the grips,I have always loved the Blues! 8) Thats why I looked out to pick them up whenever I could,and sometimes they came with a Pup!!
Congrats on the find and I'd be interested in seeing the grips after any treatment to them.

I was acquainted with the owner from Gun Shops and Shows and I new he had a Rohrbaugh but he never seemed interested in selling.  He had a table at a Show and I saw it in his case.  He knew very little about Rohrbaughs and had acquired it in a trade.  He shot it once just to try it out.

I did order some of the Kwikseal and we will see what it does.  I really think it will make the Black Carbon Fibers look good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:54:02 AM by MRC »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »
Kwikseal will work wonders on the grips and the overall look of the gun. You may want to keep those grips once you hit them with the Kwikseal! . . . . . . just sayin' . . . . lol

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »
Is there an online store that has Kwikseal or do I have to fax Du-lite an order form?  I couldn't find it on Amazon.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
Check out this link:

http://dulite.com/pistol_cleaning_kit.html

Du-Lite Corp.
171 River Road
Middletown, CT  06457

Phone: (860) 347-2505

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »
Check out this link:

http://dulite.com/pistol_cleaning_kit.html

Du-Lite Corp.
171 River Road
Middletown, CT  06457

Phone: (860) 347-2505

I bought the cleaning kit off of Ebay.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:17 PM »
I can still remember when catalogs came with the order form that you would fill out with item numbers and mail in.  Now with Amazon Prime, I order cleaning patches Friday night and they're delivered by US Postal Service Sunday morning.  My mind can't seem to accept Du-lite wanting me to fax an order sheet that I printed online.  Thanks MRC, I ordered on EBay.  Only pink available though.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
Pink is nice, it should be very pretty!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
Here is some pics after the kwikseal.  It is a petroleum based product so it makes the black come out.  The grips were pretty dirty also.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:16:42 PM by MRC »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »
Yeah, that was the look. Not too bad either! (IMHO anyway)  ha haa. . . . .

ecr

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »
The pictures were taken in front of a North facing patio door with fairly bright but indirect light.

They look better actually in normal indoor lighting.