Author Topic: Boberg just arrived  (Read 4013 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Boberg just arrived
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
Just bought a NIB Boberg SR9S from a friend.  Haven't shot it yet, but took it down to see the innards.  Interesting pistol.  It has a less than 200 serial #, so may need a taller front sight which Arne seems happy to provide for the earlier pistols.  Feels good on my hip in leather IWB but is not as small or as thin as I thought from the overlay pictures on the Boberg website...halfway between my Seecamp and my Kimber CDPII .45, but lighter.  Thicker and heavier than my R9...just feels bulkier.  Not bad on the hip in good leather, but definitely a bit bulky for pocket carry, at least for me.  I'll give a shooting report. 

I'm still on the list for one from the factory, likely sometime late summer or fall(?) but will no longer need it.  If the time comes I'll post and if someone is interested, buy it and sell it for the list price and transfer the delivery to their FFL if Arne will agree.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Boberg just arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
I'm really interested in these.

The only thing that spooks me about them is when they pull the bullet, but supposedly this only happens with some brands of ammo...

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »

...halfway between my Seecamp and my Kimber CDPII .45, but lighter.  Thicker and heavier than my R9...just feels bulkier.  Not bad on the hip in good leather, but definitely a bit bulky for pocket carry, at least for me....

exactly what i've been wanting to know. thnx backupr9.
if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
I'm really interested in these.

The only thing that spooks me about them is when they pull the bullet, but supposedly this only happens with some brands of ammo...
They recommend crimped bullets of higher quality and do better with brass.  Go to Boberg.com, go to "forum" and look at the ammo threads.  These things apparently shoot with very little kick/muzzle flip, even w/+P ammo and all who have one that I know of really like them.  I would have no problem using this as primary carry, but will likely still use the R9 often as primary, and if backup needed, always as backup.  Got a Seecamp .32 for the rare occasions when only that will conceal.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
Backup9,

Thanks for the information. I can't wait for a range report to see how she shoots and feels. I am going to have to find one in a gun store to see it in person.

Robar233

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »
Congrats, on the Boberg, backup.  I'm here to say, the Boberg will shoot 50 rds of Gold Dots as fast as you can pull the trigger, rapid fire, and reload, and with hardly any notice of recoil.  This is a shooting marvel, as I've said before.  Do enjoy! 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:33:42 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:01:51 AM »
Congrats Backup! The Boberg looks like a great gun. I love the magazine-feed engineering. I'm not sold on it yet, but I LOVE it. It's one of those new-old ideas. Love it!

Enjoy!

Your observations are invaluable.

I carry my R9S daily as a back up, with my G26 doing off-duty chores.

-Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if I just shouldn't carry the R9S all the time. I carry our duty ammo in it, and we have had reasonable success with it. -As much as anyone could reasonably expect from a handgun.

9mm is, as far as I know, not a barrell-length-sensitive caliber. What the length of barrell gives you is sight radius (which is effectively important) but means little to the effectiveness of the round. I have experienced no issues in K-5'ing and head-shooting my targets with my R9S.

The R9S is so easy to carry, and sacrifices nothing in caliber effectiveness, that I'm thinking I may sideline the G26 for a while. I was intrigued by the Boberg before. I am no longer.

Who knows?  :o

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
Took it to the range today.  Results and pictures posted on "other guns" thread.  John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis