Author Topic: Anti-Spam Hint  (Read 3335 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Anti-Spam Hint
« on: June 10, 2004, 11:45:31 AM »
Passed along from Tech Guy...

One of the ways e-mail addresses are "mined" for spamming purposes is by web-crawlers that search the 'net for anthing that looks like an address -- i.e., two words with an "@" sign in between.

Whenever posting your e-mail address in a forum message or on a webpage for public viewing, you can write your address as Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com or something similar, so the automated programs don't pick it up.  

You have no fear in registering your e-mail with this board because e-mail addresses are not shown to anyone but me.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Anti-Spam Hint
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 02:01:48 PM »
Good advice Duane .. mind you, my spam filter always has plenty of junk to collect!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Kevin Goebel

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 06:19:31 AM »
Passed along from Tech Guy...

One of the ways e-mail addresses are "mined" for spamming purposes is by web-crawlers that search the 'net for anthing that looks like an address -- i.e., two words with an "@" sign in between.

Whenever posting your e-mail address in a forum message or on a webpage for public viewing, you can write your address as Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com or something similar, so the automated programs don't pick it up.  

I also toss in spaces and spell out the "." username at domainname dot com when posting to usenet newsgroups. On web pages, I've seen javascript that pastes the name and domain together and uses a graphic (such as a jpg or gif of an envelope) for clickable e-mail links.

Some sites just put up a jpg or gif of the address and it isn't a clickable link. I guess if you don't feel like opening up your e-mail manually and typing out their address, they don't they need to read what you have to say.

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 06:26:06 AM by Kevin »

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 11:44:38 PM »
I LOVE http://www.cloudmark.com SpamNet and it has a free trial.  It is so very perfect that I've turned off most of my other filters.  My raw score for Spam is about 4,000 per day.  

WHY?  I have several web sites and numerous email accounts shown on thousands of places on the web.  I web market my real estate services.

All of my email goes first through my server filters which are updated several times a day.  Then, my computer has the SpamNet and since it is updated thousands of times an hour, there is very little that gets through; perhaps 3 a day.

Before SpamNet I had numerous filters and still got a few hundred a day that had to be manually deleted!   :'(

Check it out!  I think you'll find it valuable.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com