Author Topic: Broomhandle Mauser  (Read 19352 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Broomhandle Mauser
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »

That may be but even if he did he probably wouldn't post photos. This is a public forum and subject to other eyes.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
 ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
 The guy (Vito) that's has the asp on GB is the same person that has the Elite that Corey posted. Also on GB. He is certainly not bashful about asking some big prices! Oh well more power to him. That Asp is nice, but I don't think it's THAT nice.      Gene
birdman

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. It is true that I don't have a camera but if I did I wouldn't mind posting pictures.

I am a little confused as concerns regarding the government. Something I am missing here?

I would not post the price, if asked,  I paid for the Full House Devel. I found the gun on a website of a prominent gun guy,  I threw a Big number at him and he said yes.

I did try to bid on that base Devel, on gunbroker, model but failed as his reserve is too high.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
OK ACP, my big question, have you shot the Devel?

And the bigger question, does it shoot?, ie, well?

The reason I ask is, while I have never met a gun I didn't like,
I'm afraid to say that I have met a gun (genre) that doesn't like me.
That would be S&W autos(except Sigmas of all things).
I haven't tried the M&P yet.
But those autos from the 80's suck in MY hands.
I can't hit squat with them.

So did Devel improve the hit-ablity along with all the cool bells and whistles?

This inquiring Redneck wants to know. :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »
Reinz.  He doesn't shoot the Devel.    ;)  It is a archive/investment!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:58:32 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
Yeah but he had one before this one that he had to sell when hard times fell upon him.

I just want to know if they shoot.

It is a Smith afterall.
(souped up)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:14:28 PM by Reinz »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
OK.  Well, then!

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2010, 07:32:41 AM »
Yes to the ASP; No to the Devel.

When I shot the ASP I couldn't hit anything; primarily due to confusion with the guttersnipe sight. Devel has excellent sights but I don't shoot it for the reasons given above.

As to Reinz's comment regarding S&W, I agree. My understanding is that Charles Kelsey tried to do a deal with S&W, with the Devel concept,  and they blew him off. S&W then went to their own version of a scaled down Mod 39 with the 1980's "wonder nines", such as Mod 3913.

S&W revolvers are great, whereas their metal frame autos are not. In my view, the best production guns out there are Sigs and Glocks.

Does this mean pride of ownership does not exist for my Devel? Of course not. Custom treatment of both ASP and Devel, apart from their rarity, are both improvements over the stock gun from which they were created.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »
I understand totally and agree as well.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:12:33 PM by Reinz »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
Reinz,

The best S&W production auto, ever, was the Model 39 with steel frame!

They did not make many of them and you can expect to pay a premium if you find one.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
I don't believe I ever shot one of those, but I believe you.

I remember this friend of mine had one that he absolutely loved.  Well, when he introduced his wife to shooting, she took it away and then he was looking for another and was willing to pay dearly for one.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »
I had a problem with my wife because she hated guns. For a while, antiques and collectables became a surrogate for gun collecting.

The cure for my wife's hatred of guns was divorce.

As to the steel frame Model 39, I had opportunity to get one but I was selling at the time for the reasons given earlier.

Steel frame guns are what every collector/shooter wants and what manufacturers are loath to produce. Problem, as I understand it, is one of cost and processing.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »
If anyone is looking to buy a ASP I saw 6 of them for sale a few months back at K5 in Milford CT.   Cool little guns for sure.   They are the only ones I've ever seen in person.  Weird that they had so many.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
There are two ASPs. The original one and the "ASP 2000" which was dedicated to Theodore Paris. He was to the ASP what Charles Kelsey was to the Devel.

The ASP 2000 is a customized S&W model 3913. However, if you saw 5 original ASPs, that would be very unusual. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW: Where is the ASP on gunbroker? Has it sold or been taken off? When I type "ASP" in the search block I get an error message.