Author Topic: Is anyone else looking forward to buying an R9 from Remington?  (Read 4317 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
I'm starting to have this weird thought that maybe they'll be less expensive if Remington makes a huge production run versus the small setup that the Rorhbaugh brothers had.

I'm starting to get interested in possibly trying a Remington R9 :)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Is anyone else looking forward to buying an R9 from Remington?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »
If that event comes to pass it will be very interesting to do a complete and thorough comparison in quality, workmanship, materials, reliability, etc.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
Remington just had a fiasco with their R51, so I am hard put to see them putting out the R9 in any hurry. What niche would it fill? There is the old Pocketlite Pony 380, which is a 'pretty sweet gun'.

Remington has the money, and the expertise, but what's the purpose?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »

Their purpose should be to produce quality products and make a profit but you wouldn't know it lately:

http://xmprecall.remington.com/

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 03:30:36 AM »
Immediately stop using your rifle until Remington can inspect it to determine if the XMP trigger has excess bonding agent used in the assembly process, which could cause an unintentional discharge and,

Take me back to old german mauser 98s

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »

Back to the original question....

I would consider buying an R-9 from Remington, if they maintain the essential character of the gun.  There is no question that they will be able to manufacutre the gun at a much lower cost, and presumably they would pass along those savings with a lower price.  Lowering the price will greatly increase the marketability.  Remington presumably wants a mass market gun, not a super-premium gun.

That being said, I hope the changes would not alter the essential characteristics of the gun.  I don't need a super-premium gun for self-defense--so long as it works.  I hope, however, they would stay with the same essential design components, such as the heel-type mag release, external hammer, etc.

I do suspect, however, that I would not be an early adopter...    ::)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Back to the original question....

The last thing a manufacturer wants is a 'Return for repairs' - That takes any profit away.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
I might be an early adopter - especially if they offer a lifetime warranty.  Well - I probably would not buy a Remington firearm without a lifetime warranty...

It does bug me that my R9 is so collectable, I worry about the finish wearing off.

I don't worry about my $319.00 CM9, plus it has a SS slide - no finish to wear off. 

If Remington starts to mass produce them I'd retire the real Rohrbaugh to a safe and carry the new Remington and not worry about the finish. 

That's one thing I like about Glocks - they're like a shovel, you don't worry about the finish wearing off the spade of your shovel.

Offline guncats

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 11:53:22 PM »
their R51 problem is probably taking up a lot of resource right now so it might be a while before the R9 can come out.

You never know though, maybe it will show up next month.