Author Topic: Re: S&W Mod 29  (Read 5443 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: S&W Mod 29
« on: July 06, 2004, 09:50:27 PM »
NICE!!!!  :)

OK now - permit me to post a pic or two - as we are sorta getting into hand cannon territory (my addiction!!).

Here is my 629-6, 4" tube ... pity it's a newer model but - it feels and shoots great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May have posted this before ..... but a rig I designed and made with help of a leather work buddy about 20 years ago - originally made for my M27 but - suits any N frame of 4" or 5" .. rather pretty IMO ..... love using it when I can.  Suede lined too.  Spare holster is actually used for cross draw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to finish ........ larger cannons ..... SRH 9 1/2" tube .... two in fact .. 44 mag and .454 Casull ... this is the Casull.

After which ..... my ''Mr Large'' .... the BFR in 45-70 - with HoloSight ..... (Bigger grin here than available from mere smilies!) ;D

Forgive this unmittigated pic posting indulgence and profligacy!! ::) :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 09:52:53 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:37:56 AM »
R9SCarry, I like the Mountain Gun.  I have the same gun in .45 ACP that I use to compete in IPSC.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 01:43:03 AM »
Indeed ... the .45 acp and moonclips is - IMO about as speedy as it gets with revo ..... I have a 625-6 in 5" ..... and am growing to like it a lot. NO ................. LOVE it a lot.!

Excellent combination.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 11:41:11 AM »
R9SCarry

Nice revolvers,  but I LOVE the Belt and holsters.  :)
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 01:58:05 PM »
[size=16]but I LOVE the Belt and holsters. [/size]
From you Sir .. that is quite a complement!!  Thank you.

I have one other rig ... along same lines ....... made for my old Redhawk .... used to hold my SBH until I put red dot on it!!

Kevin ........ deep pockets'' .... gottcha!! :D  I am at that time of life when having liquified a few assets I have indulged ... tho as I say to my dear wife ''investment honey - investment''!! ;D ::)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 01:59:24 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 08:41:20 PM »
This thread raises a question that I've been mulling for awhile. How should I compare a defensive revolver chambered in .45 ACP versus one chambered for .44 Spl. I know that .44 mag is too much for me to shoot well and it seems that there were some great revolvers made for these rounds. I hear that a new S&W in .44 Spl may be on the way. I don't know how the rounds compare in terms of "stopping"power, shootability, etc. can anyone help me out? Are there any revolver models that I should look at? Thanks! Dick

By the way, great leatherwork!
Welcome home

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 10:35:04 PM »
Chris:

Beautiful . . . both revolvers and holsters!  That .454 Casull is enough to take a man's breath away.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 10:22:00 AM »
Chris:
There is a model 29 at my gun shop that looks just like yours except that it looks like it is polished ( it is a used gun, not new).  Can you tell me anything about such a variation?  It is the only one I have seen that isn't of the "satin" stainless variety.
Thanks

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 12:52:26 PM »
Mike - my only assumption there would be that you saw an earlier 629 ... IIRC, a buddy of mine had one back in early 80's and it was (relatively) non satin .... ''polished'' if you like, or more like Ruger stainless revo's.

Best thing would be to swing out cyl and above crane pivot see what designation it has stamped on .... maybe 629-'something' (1 or 2 maybe) ... we can then check up re age.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 05:41:03 AM »
Hi Chris,
  I got one for you too, since we're talking about S&W 29's. I was offered a minty older 29 in Polished Blue, wood grips and 5 or 6 inch barrel for $ 489.00. Is this and OK price. I thought it seemed a little high, but this is a sweet 29. I really don't know, but I figured you would. I heard through the grapevine that S&W weren't making this model anymore, only Stainless steel. What do you think? It's kind of a big chunk of change.....! But it has a great target trigger & hammer and Great target sights.

Mike
doubletapMike

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 12:55:57 PM »
Mike,

Can you give me more info?  What ''dash'' number is it?  M29-?.  Look on frame above crane pivot when cylinder swung out.  Also - give the S/N first few digits - that way we can get an approx DOB.  The price is not too bad if the gun is in the right era.  I would love an early 29 - nearly had one a while ago - same sorta price.

If it is a 98% - meaning vgc and mechanically tight then I'd go for it.  You can find them down below $400, depending on area but if a good specimen then worth consideration - they are not gonna drop in value IMO at all.  Get back with info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(BTW - note re my early pics - these are off a server which will go dead in September - I must remember to go edit that first post or so and access the pics from another server).
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 06:57:12 PM »
Mike, The early S&W mod 29 are really good guns. The frame mark is 29. They did not make a 5" but did make a 6". I had a 5" model 29, but the gun was sent back to S&W and the 6" bbl was cut back and recrowned with an action job. A 29 in good conition is worth that price.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 08:04:41 PM »
Chris and Tom,
     Thanks a bunch for your help. I'll get the info that you mentioned tomorrow and post it tomorrow night. But the time was getting short so I had to put a deposit today or it would have been gone. From what you said, it seems like I did the right thing. I'll give you the details tomorrow. Thanks again.

Stay safe,
Mike
doubletapMike

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 09:10:06 PM »
The info on my S&W 29, was wrong. They rebarreled to 5' 'and did not cut the bbl. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus