Author Topic: Grip tape - pics  (Read 13597 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Grip tape - pics
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:19:38 PM »
We have discussed grip tape in several threads I think and, having just at last aquired some and fitted it - thought I'd post pics and so keep this to a specific subject.

I did not find the 1" roll of 3M but instead having found some tape at last anyways - picked up a roll of ''Duck'' tread tape.  This is 2" wide, not very cheap and also pretty coarse grit embedded - maybe the 3M is a bit finer but in fact this serves well for me, no problem.  I will be able to use more of the roll for porch steps so - not going to waste!

My method of application may or may not suit others, having decided to be somewhat ''minimalist'' about it.  In front I did not want to extend onto the ''curl'' up to trigger guard and to rear, also wanted to only place tape on the straight section.

In practice this feels just fine - giving better security for middle finger up front and palm/heel of hand at rear benefits just fine from the area covered.

In the pics below you may notice on the rear view, also, the dots of ''Bright Sights'' I applied a some time ago.  In good light they do help a bit.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Grip tape - pics
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:53:05 PM »
Mighty fine, Chris.

I tried to use the same lengths of tape.

The tape just seems to go naturally with the pistol.  It looks and feels just right.

Good job!

Bill

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 09:52:11 AM »
Good job Chris! Whats your shipping address to send my R9 for that job? ;D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »
Chris,

Did you add a close-up attachment to your camera for this shot?

And did you use a tripod?

Your pictures are always first class.

Bill

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 10:40:54 AM »
I posted my pics on the "Gunsmithing and Modifications" forum yesterday - here they are again:

R9SCarry's tape strips look neater than mine do.  :)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:54:17 AM »
Erich,

Those are fine pictures.  You and your camera are doing a fine job.

Did you use a close-up lens attachment?

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:57:57 AM »
I'm thinking about adding some tape to the sides, too.

I hope it will come off without screwing up the beautiful finishes.

I think the factory should send a complimentary tape pack, where each strip had a big "R" on the side.   :)

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:42:38 AM »
Newt - I'd happily do the job for you  but fear shipping costs would make it the most expensive grip tape ever :D

Erich, thx for adding your pics too - I doubt I'll add any tape to sides as the small additions so far seems to get me over the ''slippery frame'' aspect as they are.

Bill - for pics - no special close-up lens.  I use a tripod plus remote release and rather long exposures - usually in order of 1.5, to 2 secs and that at f11.  The camera is about 18" from subject and with near full zoom (7:1) I can still use manual focus down to 0.5 meter.  

Three light sources (tungsten) over top of white sheet for diffusion - and white balance set to manual setting for that.  I do have a macro setting which would get me in very close but rarely need that.  Also, as original pics are 2560x1920 I can sometimes crop out a small item from that and still have a large pic in effect at size used for posting on web.  The camera is Minolta DiMAGE A1.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 01:10:36 PM »
Bill, I - on the other hand - am just a total slob.

I just took some snapshots with my Nikon Coolpix 400 (or whatever it is) - no tripod, no lighting (just outdoors, indirect light), no close-up lens. I usually remember to activate the camera's close-up feature when taking gunpix, but forgot to do so this time.

R9SCarry, I put the tape on the stocks (it comes off fine w/o problems) because I have such difficulty given my thin palms. I wind up having to place my off-hand thumb alongside the stock and then grasp that thumb in my firing grip - this increases the overall "chunkiness" of the gripframe and enables me to fire the gun w/o failures (otherwise, I have them). The grip tape on the carbon fiber stocks greatly assists in keeping the gun still in my odd grip.

BTW, Eric Rohrbaugh said that Karl has a Hogue "Glock sock" on his R9s. I'd thought about doing that in order to increase the chunkiness of the gripframe on my gun, but decided I'd rather have the svelte frame as it is for carry.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 01:14:49 PM by Erich »

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 06:04:25 PM »
Have only used the Decal Grips on a Glock,have no idea on the others..

Brenden

http://www.skateboard.com/shop/Dept.asp?Cat_ID=359

http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/decal

http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/trugrip.htm

May be able to adapt some sets for other guns-probably cheaper to just find the tape though!!

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
A product that I think might be interesting is marketed in electronic stores. It's a rubberized cushiony patch (with adhesive on the back) to keep your cell phone from sliding off the dash of your car.

I haven't bothered to look into it yet, though.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 04:48:17 PM »
One other thing I saw Erich and considered - may be similar - was a sorta rubbery tape deal - meant for winding round a tennis racket handle to renew same.

Not sure tho if adhesive backed or perhaps even self-amalgamating tape.  Could have possibilities where an increase in bulk is useful.

Don't think it matters what we use tho - as long as for the individual it does the trick! 8)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Grip tape - pics
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 09:10:10 PM »
>>Hi Chris...

I tried a product that looks like the stuff you got, only in plack...was made by 3M, 2" wide and sold as DECK tape, as in for a boat.  Did you mean to say "deck" when you said "dock"...?  

Anyway...  I cleaned the surfaces well and heated up my gun under a lamp hoping to get a better seal.  Interestingly, the way I cut it looks identical to what you did.  Only one problem...  I could not get the stuff to stick and stay on for the life of me.  Any suggestions...?

Where's a kid with a skateboard when you want one...?...!  Lol...!...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 09:33:52 PM »
TW - well mine is marked as ''tread tape'' - and probably why it is somewhat coarse - but I imagine stuck to front of a stair tread it will do nicely for extra grip.  My BHP has a finer grit in the tape on it, so maybe that is ''deck'' tape.

I did wonder whether mine would stick as once backing pulled off it didn't feel too sticky - however, I rubbed areas first with alcohol to remove any hand grease and (knock on wood) so far it seems to staying put.  I just applied plenty of pressure over it, edges in particular.

If yours won't stick - not sure what will help.  I do have some spray contact adhesive, but like you'd use for automotive applications - I guess I'd try that if I had to - masking off areas first where overspray might go.  Good luck with it.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Grip tape - pics
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 05:02:59 AM »
>>Actually...  If you can imagine the tape in layers...sticky sheet part and grit sheet part...  What happened with my tape is that the sticky sheet part attached just fine to the gun...but then that sheet separated from the grit sheet part...if that makes sense.  Kinda weird...TW<<