Author Topic: Destantes ankle holster for R9  (Read 3380 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
Destantes ankle holster for R9
« on: July 28, 2007, 01:37:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have received the ankle holster available from Rohrbaugh and am pleased with it.  I can personally recomend it.

I have also received a holster from Dillon that works perfectly to keep an R9 tucked in the pants in the front.  I have tried a few of these tuckable holsters before and was not satisfied with any of them.

This is perfect, I can now carry both my R9's at the same time in comfort and security.  The ankle holster works great when you are in a vehicle as the one tucked in my pants is not easily accesable especially if you wear your seat belts all the time which I do.  The one tucked in my pants is perfect as I always wear my shirts untucked and it is readily accesable when not in a vehicle.

I do not feel that I am being paranoid in carrying two R9's.  After all, almost all Police Officers carry two guns, don't they?

Another point about the use of deadly force for self defense that I want to make clear to those who may not understand and who are reading the forum.  Being able to access your gun quickly is of UTMOST importance.  If you are able to, you MUST retreat from a potentially dangerous situation.  This fact is pretty much the law in almost any jurisdiction.  If you have time to get your gun out of the console or glove compartment the police or prosecutor may determine that you also had enough time to retreat or withdraw from the situation.  These new "stand your ground" laws that some states are inacting are going to take a while to have the kinks worked out and to get the Police and prosecutors educated on what they mean.  Florida has a stand your ground law but a man was recently prosecuted for 2 counts of murder anyway.  The jury found him not guilty.  I just wonder how much in legal fees this poor guy has to pay off.

Comments anyone.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Destantes ankle holster for R9
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:36:43 PM »
Mike,
After reading your post I tried a few things in my car with
the pup. I honestly feel that I can be in a ready fire position
drawing from the right pocket at or shortly after the seat
belt has been released and stowed in the retracted
position. Even the ankle holster is difficult with the seat
belt and shoulder harness locked.
Of course, there are many variables and I would certainly
not attempt to prejudge anyone else's self defense
measures. I don't think you are paranoid about it and if
two R-9s suit you better, so be it.
Thanks for broaching the subject because I am now better
prepared for an event.  

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:07:44 AM »
tracker,

I hear what you are saying about the ankle rig still being a little difficult in a vehicle.  What I do when I am driving is pull my left pant leg up over the ankle rig automatically the same as I use the seat belt.  All one has to do is remember to put your pant leg back down  before you exit the vehicle.  This makes for very quick access for me anyway.

Some prefer to have a stowage place set up in the vehicle for quick access.  This is probably the fastest setup when you are in the vehicle but it is to much of a pain to me to place it back on my body every time I exit as I do not believe in leaving a gun in a vehicle.  Unless I am going in a place that prohibites conceiled carry, then I have no choice.

I always wear jeans and they don't have as much pocket room as say a pair of Dockers.  Pocket carry just is not comfortable or accessable enough for me.  I just don't think I could get used to keeping my keys and change in my left pocket while carrying.

One thing for sure.  This conceiled carry thing requires a lot of thought and good holsters too.  I am quite sure that many on this board carry ALL the time like I do.  I carry inside my home but not the ankle rig.  I smoke but don't smoke indoors so I step outside my Apt. to smoke often and of course I am always carrying.  

Most everyone I know is not serious about conceiled carry and are the type that only carry when they think they going someplace where they might "need" a gun.  I have tried to explane to these people that all they have to do is read the newspaper to see that you are most likely to need a gun when you least expect that you might.  You really can't change the thinking of those kind of people though.  It seems that either from the very begining, one is either knowlegable and serious about carrying or one is not.

Tracker,  Which 50 have you decided on getting? ;D

Mike
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:09:42 AM by riffraff »
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:25:20 AM »
Mike,
I am looking at the Barrett model no. 95.  

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 09:04:37 PM »
You can't go wrong there.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com