Author Topic: A couple of questions concerning failures  (Read 43998 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: A couple of questions concerning failures
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2004, 10:54:29 PM »
You mean the slide retaining pin?  That sounds like the prob Shelb had.  Hmmm ... maybe an upgrade to the new pin would be wise for all.  Have to run this by Eric when I can.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2004, 11:15:26 PM »
The barrel pin--the thing you punch out to field strip the gun.

BobJ

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2004, 01:46:23 AM »
Right after got my gun, I talked to Eric, and he mentioned that the pin has been upgraded (stronger).  I didn't hear when that was done;  just that my No. 196 had the new pin.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2004, 02:23:10 AM »
The pin upgrade to 17-4 PH steel occured last month.  The serial numbers are not consecutive -- so the number in itself doesn't really mean anything.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2004, 11:51:52 AM »
Where's the post with the pic of the broken pin?  I can't find it.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2004, 01:18:40 PM »
Here ya go -

Broken pin thread
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2004, 02:55:37 PM »
Yeah, I think mine broke in about the same place.  I can't get the other half out of the gun.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2004, 03:13:26 PM »
Pretty central then .. which figures as this is max stress area from barrel lug.  I have told Eric about this and am waiting to hear from him on several other matters.

I had hoped to have posted my ammo test #3 by now but am running it by Eric before releasing it ... in case he has any queries that need addressed.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2004, 08:41:38 PM »
Incursion,
Sounds like you went through a lot of the same stuggles that I did.  I was having some failures when I originally posted this thread.  I was putting quite a few rounds through the thing trying to determine if the failures were of my own causing....then I encountered the pin failure.

Mine seemed a fluke, but perhaps as a precuation, people may want to consider a pin upgrade.

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »
I talked to Eric today, and it looks like I'm getting a new R9.  Apparently, there was something that was ever so slightly out of specification.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2004, 04:27:33 PM »
I know one thing Incursion . Eric will always it seems try and do anything to ensure you are seen right.  It is a pity to see anyone here with an R9 problem ... when for the most part we are all happy campers.  I shall be hoping you have good results from your replacement.. as will you - of course! :)

There are still now and again, real minor things that slip thru - I'd almost expect that with a new production gun, even with all the R&D that they have done.  I regard myself as somewhat of a ''field agent'' cum ''testbed'' .... obviously I want no probs but - feel able to accept them when things are put right ... this is why I am so supportive of the Bros Rohrbaugh.

Having been in engineering I perhaps understand better the nuances of development and fine tuning . I did much prototyping in years gone by - and sometimes it seems that development never really reaches finality!  Always something else to make the item that bit better.

I am hopeful of getting my #2 R9 in the next coupla weeks or so .. which means I can all but ''retire'' my trusty #1.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2004, 08:15:39 PM »
Chris:

You put it very well indeed.  Mr. Browning's 1911 classic masterpiece of design has been fine-tuned for the past 93 years.  I venture to predict that the Rohrbaugh masterpiece of design will also become a classic.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2004, 11:59:53 PM »
I am actually surprised that the Rohrbaugh hasn't had more growing pains. I need to get a new pin, just to avoid any future problems. But, so far, all I would like to see is the following: a fieldstrip tool, and a jig or something to allow the inner recoil spring to be changed on a regular basis.

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2004, 09:34:42 PM »
I received my new Rohrbaugh today along with 2 recoil springs for the trouble.  I'll report back when I shoot it.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2004, 11:20:02 PM »
Hopefully I'll have my new one sometime this week.  You're lucky you got yours before me.  What serial number did you get? Eric told me I'll be getting R450.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 11:23:40 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.