Author Topic: Smith & Wesson 940 (2" 9mm snubbie)  (Read 3515 times)

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
Smith & Wesson 940 (2" 9mm snubbie)
« on: July 12, 2005, 02:04:44 PM »
(I posted this over in another board but wanted to share it here since I alluded to my new pocket carry piece owing to my R9S being back at the factory.)

I bought this LNIB S/W 940 (Centennial model, internal hammer, stainless steel, 2", 9mm!!! snubbie) via a FTF deal here in FL.  I paid $600 for it.  This is high for a Smith & Wesson snubbie, but this is a model no longer made, it is extremely clean, nice action, tight lockup and figuring in FFL transfer fee, shipping and TAX (ya, my guy runs interference for the governor), plus without having the delay and uncertainty of an Internet deal, I feel I did all right in the end.

I could have purchased two Taurus and some ammo for what I paid for this Smith, however, I did some research regarding the new Taurus 905 Instant Backup and no one had replacement grips and holsters were iffy (none listed, but I think an 85 would have worked, but the barrel is shorter on the IB). And when I was looking to buy locally, no one had one! Based on feedback, buying a Taurus without handling it first is a crap shoot so "ordering" one is out of the question.

But in the end, this is a Smith & Wesson and a Taurus isn't.

I called Smith and asked them about the ship date and was told that it left the factory July 16th, 1991.  The manual has a hand written note saying the original buyer bought it "7/1991" so likely it was ordered for someone.

Oh, why 9mm revo?  Because all my carry firearms are 9mm! I know 9mm. I like 9mm.  9mm is arguably better than 38spl. (Let's not have that conflict here, however. :) )

I've fired some various makes of 147 grain JHP into wet newspaper. Recoil is non-existent (I'm not particularly sensitive). I only had 8" of newspaper so I couldn't get good results.  Let me say that Winchester Ranger T 147 expanded nicely and stopped at 7" in the newspaper (similar to 10.5" in gelatin).  WWB 147 JHP, GD 147 JHP, Federal Hi-shok 147 JHP all wanted to penetrate more than 8" but slammed into the concrete block I had stacked the papers against. All show early signs of expansion before smacking flat on the block based on the hole in the newsprint. I'll need to retest using more paper (I prefer phonebooks).

I'm carrying WWB 147 JHP owing to the larger hole in the newsprint and greater penetration shown in previous testing I had done with a Kahr PM9.  9mm does expand and penetrate in short barreled guns without resorting to +++P+++ ammo.

Pix: (click'm for bigger picture)

Moon clips, baby, moon clips!

Grips are nice. Smooth wood doesn't snag in pocket. I replaced the rubber Hogue grips with Jim Badger walnut grips. http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/

The best part!!! "9mm Parabellum" "FOR WAR!"
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 02:05:38 PM by dmobrien2001 »
- Dan

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Smith & Wesson 940 (2" 9mm snubbie)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 03:54:31 PM »
Nice one Dan - and as ever there is only one Smith - a real Smith!!! :P

Moonclips do rock and if I was much earlier in my collecting days like as not I would gone to 9mm for a lot more wheelguns.  I only have a 625 for moonclips but enjoy the heck outa that!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 04:21:15 PM »
Yep -- moonclip wheelguns are great.  My newly machined cylinder is in today from Gemini Customs -- cut for .357 Magnum moonclips!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:45:20 PM »
Duane - eye up that ejector rod when it's all back together!!!  Hope it will look true.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 11:13:19 PM »
Nice addition!

How does the recoil compare to a .38 version?

What load do you plan to use?

Thanks, Dick
Welcome home

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 11:47:41 PM »
Nice addition!

How does the recoil compare to a .38 version?

What load do you plan to use?

Thanks. A 9mm revo was a long held goal of mine.  To find this 14 year old beauty in a S&W is a blessing.

I've not shot 38 snubbie, but the 940 is definitely 3x easier than R9S in terms of recoil.  Lot of round grip to cushion recoil.  Plus this is a stainless steel gun. I don't have a weight figure on it.  Glock G26 is soft recoiling. The 940 is like that.  (Then again, I'm not much recoil sensitive.  I shot 108 rounds in one session with the R9S first time out.)

I like any of the premium 147 grain JHP.  Until I further test terminal ballistics using more newsprint depth, I will carry plain jane Win white box, 147 grain JHP Personal Protection.  It works, but some folks don't like it since it doesn't come in 20 round boutique boxes priced at $13.99 a box (LOL). I want to standardize on a particular 9mm brand/load for all three carry firearms (R9S, G26 and now the 940).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:49:28 PM by dmobrien2001 »
- Dan