Author Topic: Glock 26 9mm or Glock 27 .40??????????  (Read 12338 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Glock 26 9mm or Glock 27 .40??????????
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
As I was running another 200 rounds of the Georgia Arms reloads through my favorite cc pistol today something happened. On approximately my 2000 th (total) round through the pistol it happened... It failed to feed a round. Lol. This little gun is amazing.

$500 and it eats anything and everything. I truly don't remember the last time it failed. I know it has here or there, but what a machine. I don't clean it super regularly. I shot it until it was so hot it burnt my side when reholstering IWB and continued to run another 100 or so after that point. It's a monster.

I know this doesn't surprise any of you that own and like Glock, but this is for the haters. How can you knock it? I know they aren't pretty to look at. I know they aren't the smoothest. I know they aren't the most accurate. But WOW, they do all of the above adequately and (most important) reliably.

So I'm looking to start a thread both positive and negative about the Glock. I only have positive to bring to the table, but I only have my limited experience and the experience of a few friends (ok I'm exaggerating... I don't have a few friends : ) if you have any negative experiences with Glock post away. If you have a positive experience post away.

Obviously there isn't a ton to talk Rohrbaugh right now, so why not? Post up.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:30:11 AM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Bad news about my Glock 27 : (
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »

This is not exactly a news flash because the Glock manual prohibits the use of reloads.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »

Although I love my Sig pistols, I have a number of Glocks.  However, I started liking them less after Gen 2 because the finger grooves don't fit me well.  I shoot a Gen 2 Glock 17 in IPSC.  I often carry and have taken a modified Glock 19 to many classes, including MAG-40.  (I've had the grooves removed).  My "car gun" is a Glock 26.

I've never had any problems with them.  The only Glock I've ever had an issue with was a Glock 36 that I owned for a bit.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »

Interesting, Duane; I have a 36 and it is a very sweet, accurate shooter. The ergonomics of the single stack suit me well also.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

I also have a review of the Glock 42 coming out in the next issue of Shooting Illustrated.   :D

Very nice little pistol.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
That is really cool. I'll look forward to checking that out.

Do you have any idea about the single-stack 9
they may come out with Duane? Is it a reality?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:32:14 PM »
I have a G34 and a 17L.  I've had 1 failure to ignite, with Wolf ammo and when I ejected the round it had a deep and sharp indentation in the primer - a strike like that would have ignited a Federal or Winchester cartridge, it definitely wasn't the gun's fault.

I've fired my Glocks dry, I've fired them wet and I've fired them gooped up with grease and they just work.

Having said that though, I don't like the triggers on them at all, although they're better than an LCP or LC9.

IMO there are better striker fired guns out there - like Sig & HK's new offerings.  And there are better CC offerings like the Kahr CM9 and Walther PPS.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Fair enough.

My thing with the Kahr (I only have a cw380) is failure out of mine. It's been rare with quality ammo, but 3-4 times now and that just doesn't foster the type of carry confidence that I have in my glocks.

It seems everything I have come across other than Glock has a much higher ratio of failure to feed, failure to eject, failure to extract, has a safety etc. I like sig, but the weight and DA initial pull is not effective for me on first shot. 1911's are not for me with the safety on.

My only compaint with the Glock offering is the heavy and blocky nature of the double stack. And ok the trigger isn't great, but I like it ok. If they come up with the 9 single stack that would cure my gripes. I'm sure I could get some kind of smoother trigger for it.

I haven't used the Walther, so I can't say much, but it's ergonomics favor the shield which I like, but the shield has a safety and I don't carry it with the all out confidence of the Glock. Besides that, it's trigger is worse than my glocks.

Tell me more about the Walther Count.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:37:57 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
Well I think you've hit on something that the smaller semi-autos are the less likely they are to work with all the different weights, shapes, sizes and velocities for that caliber.  Glock has never made a pistol the size of the Rohrbaugh.

Diamondback has made a micro-nine, but it only fires 124gr bullets or less, and I heard of them breaking, (I'm not sure if the breakage was only with heavier/hotter ammo).  I know they changed the design of the gun to add a third steel pin.

I think the Rohrbaugh bumps right up against what is possible.  I think it is very difficult to get a gun to be smaller than the R9 to fire the 9mm Luger cartridge reliably.  Even the R9 has its limits.  I haven't shot anything lighter than 124gr out of mine, and obviously the R9 isn't recommended to use with +P ammo.

I think you can have a gun that is slightly smaller than the R9 - but it won't be lighter.  I think you can have a gun that weighs less than the R9, but it won't be smaller.

Unless there is some technological breakthrough in materials, I don't see a semi-auto in 9mm getting much smaller or lighter than the R9.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
I see the R9 in a class all of its own. It fits a special spot in my carry lineup. If I can get mine dependable it will fill the role of shirt tucked in and pocket carry or belly band carry while under most other situations I will personally desire to carry a bit more firepower IWB. So I wasn't looking to necessarily compare the R9 with anything except something in its size and their is almost nothing. I think it's about the best in its size class if it's reliable. Since my R9 has been broken I have opted for the Kahr 380, but sacrificing a considerable amount in the 380 cartridge. Not too mention the fact that it is currently at the factory due to some reliability issues as well. It really is a nice shooting little pistol especially for the small investment!

I was really comparing the future Glock single stack 9 that doesn't yet exist with everything else that could possibly compete. I personally think it would find its way into my routine, daily carry piece. Simply because I keep breaking everything else. Or I find a lack of reliability primarily due to the fact that I shoot them too much or enough to find the week point (whichever way you want to look at it. Probably the first is most accurate)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:03:28 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »

It's a new one for me, but I had never heard of an obsessive shooting disorder until recently. You heard it here first.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Bad news about my Glock 27 : ( &&& Obsessive Shooting Disorder 😬
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
Ha. Spot on Tracker!

OSD

Symptoms:

Always rotating cc handguns due to a favorite being broken and awaiting repair.

Room cluttered with all types of guns, ammo, cleaning kits and other misc shooter paraphernalia.

Excessive time spent at the range accompanied by frequent firing of handguns in ones backyard.

Ridiculous amounts of money spent on ammunition of all kinds and calibers.

Persistently aching hands

Unreal amounts of time posting nominal information though no one cares about it but you and some strange guy living in the basement of his grandmothers house at age 43.

Comments from friends, family and acquaintances about their utter surprise at your decision to send a gun back to the factory or a need to purchase a new gun etc (obviously in total sarcasm).

What's the cure anyway? Carpal tunnel or a federal offense eliminating my ability to own a firearm? I'm hoping for something better than that.

Just when I thought I was done with 12 step programs!😎

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
Other than running out of money I don't think there is a known cure: just like OCD. OSD is not the first psychological aberration recorded on this forum but certainly one of the more costly ones. Recognition of a problem is the first step in a recovery program.

Rohrbaugh R9 (all variations) / Re: Black or Blue Carbon Fiber Grips???
« by Richard S on February 17, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »
......   Some of us have obsessive ammunition hoarding disorder (OAHD) and some of us have obsessive grip  ............  disorder (OGAD). We know you're out there and maybe some  ............ . I am an OGAD. I have at least two sets of grips for every handgun I own. I even have  ............  of my long guns. I not only have five sets of grips for my R9 but also once tried eight times to  ............  ............  to order a pair of Esmeralda's grips for my primary 1911 even though I already have  ......
Pages: [1]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:50:59 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:28:42 PM »
Well I ran about 100, GA 40 cal & 200, GA 9mm with the lone Wolf barrel though the G27 today.

I tried to do a comprehensive comparison between the 9mm and 40 to see how much better I can shoot the 9 to decide if the increased accuracy of a 9mm outweighs the better fire power of the 40 cal for me. I think if I was relegated to hitting an 8" target the 9 mm is more effective out of the G27 platform for me. However if center of mass is an option then I would probably prefer the 40 personally.

Then I compared the shield to the G27 loaded out with 9mm. They are only 2 oz apart. Obviously the Glock is chunkier, but I did shoot the Glock better. Plus it obviously holds 3 extra rounds.

Would anyone not feel comfortable carrying a Glock 27 with a 9 mm aftermarket barrel as a cc option if it were 100% reliable?

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »

There are many excellent Glock after market barrels and I would not hesitate to use one that has proven its accuracy and reliability. I have two Storm Lake barrels and like them very much. In fact, the Glock barrels are hammer forged and polygonal and that is the reason that Glock advises against using reloads. The lands and grooves may tend to foul worse with lead bullets and/or reloads. The after market barrels are constructed differently and not subject to the same concerns as the factory barrel. Many Glock owners have fired thousands of reloads in the factory barrels without incident because they kept their barrels clean. I think Glock is also concerned about unregulated pressures in reloads, especially the .40 SW.