Author Topic: Glock 26 9mm or Glock 27 .40??????????  (Read 12260 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Bad news about my Glock 27 : ( &&& Obsessive Shooting Disorder 😬
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 05:45:02 PM »
I see.

As to the question about EDC a pistol with a aftermarket barrel that was proven to be reliable, your comment makes sense. Just seems a bit odd for some reason, but if it's reliable and doesn't have any side effects I guess that's all that counts.

Thanks Tracker.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »
Sorry, I missed your point about the caliber conversion. Personally, if I were looking for a 9mm Glock carry I would use the Glock 26 but apparently there is no functional reason that would prevent you from making the barrel conversion. I feel more comfortable switching between the .40SW and .357 Sig, for example, which are more common in size. Do you use Glock 26 mags in your 27?

The main reason I wouldn't put a 9mm barrel in a Glock 27 for carry is the possibility of mixing the wrong bullet with the configuration, i.e., putting .40SW ammo into your 9mm conversion barrel. If it can go wrong, it will go wrong.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:43:27 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
Valid points. I have G26 mags. I have them identified VERY WELL, but nonetheless I see your point. It is my EDC and the points you mentioned are just faintly ringing in the back of my mind. I am currently using the standard .40 setup. Maybe if I ting another 500 9mm down range it will dispel a phobia. Maybe it will confirm the need for the phobia.

I do have the .357 sig conversion barrel for it too, but I'm thinking if I am a bit sloppy with the .40, the .357 sig will just be a bit worse than that.

Thanks for the feedback Tracker.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:01 PM »

Practice with whatever you like but I would stick with the .40 SW for EDC; it is too confusing to carry 9mm in a designated .40SW Glock 27. The .357 Sig is so loud that it may cause hearing impairment if you fired it without protection. Keep it simple.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »
Makes sense.

Now if you had a G26 and a G27 side by side which would you EDC if you were a bit more accurate with the 9?

Is there any reason to think that modern perps could start using body armor to make head shots more of a need or is that just over preparation?

Oh, on that note I was reading a Glock magazine today where it talked about a New York police division going to 45 because of an incident where multiple center mass and one head shot didn't stop a BG using 9. Also said no drugs were involved. The BG emptied his gun, but thankfully the officer was not hit.

I know it's the age old debates about shot placement vs caliber etc.

9 is a lot of firepower for a pocket pistol/ backup, but is it enough?

Any thoughts from you guys who know your ballistics and done your due diligence?

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »
There are tons of 9mm ammo tests out of 3" and 4" barrels.  I am pretty confident about how a 147gr HST is going to behave when shot out of my R9.  By contrast, there isn't that much testing results available for the 40 S&W.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »

As previously mentioned I love the Federal HST. Have you experienced any tumbling or key holing with the 147gr?

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »
I misspoke.

I just checked my shooting logs and I have fired the 147gr HST out of my Kahr CM9 but not the Rohrbaugh.

Sorry...

I haven't had keyholing with 147gr Winchester RA9t or 147gr Lawman TMJ.  I had terrible accuracy AND keyholing with 124gr Blazzer Brass:

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »
So...

... if you had a G26 and a G27 side by side which would you EDC if you were a bit more accurate with the 9mm?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 07:30:33 AM »
So...

... if you had a G26 and a G27 side by side which would you EDC if you were a bit more accurate with the 9mm?

I say that you must answer that question.  Carry the one that you have the most confidence in.

If they are equal in that criteria, go to the larger caliber.  JMO

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Glock 26 9mm or Glock 27 .40??????????
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 09:31:30 AM »
Well they aren't quite equal in at least 3 respects.

1) I am a bit more accurate with the 9mm/26
2) you obviously get an extra round with the 26
3) follow up shots are a tiny bit more accurate and quicker.

It really comes down to the ballistic of a 9mm vs a .40 I guess. Age old debate.

Any takers??

John Stuart Mill

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »
I choose the G26, for many reasons, several you have already listed.

I'm not much on conversion kits, switching barrels, etc. Where some see "versatility" I see complication. Having to stock multiple calibers, and unique spare parts doesn't fit my personal worldview. Having the same pistol behave differently based on how it's set up does not contribute to the familiarity and consistency I seek in a survival tool.

I understand and respect that many feel differently.

I say carry the G26, and load 147 grain (just like I recommend for the R9!) We have had good success with what is considered "old tech" ammunition, not even the latest and greatest.

Shot placement and penetration seem to be the keys to fighting handgun efficacy. Here's an older report that, I think, makes good sense.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Bad news about my Glock 27 : (
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »

Do you have any idea about the single-stack 9
they may come out with Duane? Is it a reality?

I have heard credible rumors that there is one in the works.  It certainly seems possible and probable that they will build a 9mm the same size as the 42.  I suppose we will find out at the next SHOT Show.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »

I say carry the G26, and load 147 grain (just like I recommend for the R9!) We have had good success with what is considered "old tech" ammunition, not even the latest and greatest.

Shot placement and penetration seem to be the keys to fighting handgun efficacy. Here's an older report that, I think, makes good sense.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
[/quote]

This was an excellent article IMO. Thanks Douglas.

The permanent wound channel was the third factor in the effectiveness of stopping a threat in the report.

In studying Bruce's mouse gun addicts range reports on a lot of different defensive rounds it looks like that varies greatly even in one caliber /brand to the next.

For instance you may have a 9mm out performing a .40 if the .40 doesn't expand which seems to be very common in the denim test. Seems like an excellent 9+p that is reliable in expansion is a good way to go if it can be placed on target accurately.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »
I am no expert on this but I have noticed a couple of things.

-If penetration is what you want, go with the 147 gr.  Most feel that they tend to
  over penetrate.

-Expansion is driven by velocity so the lighter bullets expand more.  +P even more.
 They may not penetrate as much as we expect though.

-I feel that the 124 gr +P falls in between and that is where I feel we need to be.