Author Topic: 1911...Holy Grail ?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline hedrok

• Expert
1911...Holy Grail ?
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
I gotta stop plowin' around these sites that have almost irresistible guns for sale !  
For all those with good resources in these somewhat difficult times or a VERY strong desire to own a fine top of the line 1911...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/179187-morris-custom-tactical-elite-45-colt-build.html

I already tried to talk this gentleman...and he is...out of the Bromme set, but no go.  He's gonna keep it if it doesn't go with the Morris.

It's nice to dream.   ;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: 1911...Holy Grail ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
Hedrock:

The first handgun I could ever, so to speak, call my own was a 1911 issued to me by a benevolent United States Government back in the early 1960s. It was love at first sight. The thing was saddle worn and weary, so much so that it rattled if shaken, but to my young eyes it was a thing of beauty. And it worked flawlessly. (They wouldn't let me keep it, though, when I was transferred to the next command.)

For years, I dreamed of "The 1911." When the time came when I had the discretionary funds to embark on the project, I decided that I wanted to start with a new "Plain Jane" Colt Government Model and then place it in the hands of some extraordinary gunsmiths and let them do their "thing."

Once I had purchased the basic gun, I sent it off to Clark Custom Guns for a "Meltdown" and accurizing, and to Accurate Plating & Weaponry for hard-chrome plating. That occupied about a year. Next, Cylinder & Slide added some of Bill Laughridge's magic. Bo-Mar provided the sight package -- adjustable rear and blade front. LaserMax then enhanced the package with a guide-rode laser sight, AJAX found a pair of Sambar Stag grips acquired before India banned export of the material. Finally, under the right grip, I mounted a ClipDraw engraved with my motto in Latin. Magazines -- Wilson Combat.

The entire project occupied about a year of my time, but for the last five years or so my R9 has had a "big brother" that is my personal tribute to the genius of John Moses Browning.

I wish you well on your own project!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:22:15 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:26:20 PM »
THAT is gorgeous!!  8)  
The grips have a surreal look that seems to  "move" or flow.

VERY nice.

Offline Lance M

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Beautiful pistol.  You remind me of the .45 I was issued in Germany in the early '90s.  It rattled, and when I qualified I had so many jams it seamed like half my qualifying was from alibi fires.  I think the thing had seem action in WW2.  One of my tank commanders got his stuck in the turret ring and got issued a brand new one from stores.  I would not have been so crass as to lay claim to it, but my CO had no qualms and sported a brand new pistol, that didn't rattle, the next time we went to the range.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »

Beautiful pistol.  You remind me of the .45 I was issued in Germany in the early '90s.  It rattled, and when I qualified I had so many jams it seamed like half my qualifying was from alibi fires.  I think the thing had seem action in WW2.  One of my tank commanders got his stuck in the turret ring and got issued a brand new one from stores.  I would not have been so crass as to lay claim to it, but my CO had no qualms and sported a brand new pistol, that didn't rattle, the next time we went to the range.

Lance:

Even though, as the saying goes, "rank has its privileges," that last bit just doesn't seem fair.  ;)

Once, during qualifying exercises, I was pulling my time in the target pit at the range and a particularly pompous light colonel was at the line. It was known all through HQ Co. that he had somehow "requisitioned" the newest 1911 in the armory. When his turn came to fire, the pit crew grew very silent. And after his first string of fire it was with a great deal of satisfaction that we were able to hoist "Maggie's Drawers." He finally got it together, of course, but the moment was one to savor for everyone who knew the "gentleman in question."

As such things do in the military, the story spread like wildfire, and the "gentleman in question" took a good dose of ribbing that night at the O Club from his equals in rank while the company grade types smiled quietly into the mirror behind the bar.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"