Author Topic: Best Pup Lube  (Read 17220 times)

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
Best Pup Lube
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »
I extracted the following list of comments from a recent thread, "Oil instead of grease":

1. Eezox, Slide-glide, Miltec, etc., are all great products. Also, Ballistoil, as recommended by Richard is an excellent product.

2. Also GunButter.

3. Wilson's Ultra-Lube Grease.

4. Bruce at Grayguns (custom work) was using Slide-Glide.  No crud buildup. Guns are a snap to clean, stuff wipes right off.

5. Maria at Rohrbaugh says they use Hornady One Shot or Miltec for the Slide.

6. +1 on the Slide-Glide (light grade).  Brian Enos, the champion shooter / instructor markets this stuff on his website, http://www.brianenos.com/.

7. Maria (follow-up) says they were no longer recommending the use of grease or lube.  She said "use a quality gun oil....the grease tends to pick up and accumulate dirt".  She told me that they use Hornady One Shot on all of the parts of the pistol at the factory.

It looks like the factory leans toward One Shot.  I have not used it and personally like the feel of Wilson Ultra-Lube.  But if grease is no longer recommended (due to dirt attraction)...  Surely a good grease has got to protect a slide better than an oil.

How about this: Use a good grease when just shooting at the range and use One-Shot when carrying...

Can we get a consensus on this?

Thanks
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Best Pup Lube
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:37 PM »

You covered a lot of excellent products that have all been mentioned on this forum. I was about to mention Friction-Defense by Brownell's but it has been discontinued.

This subject is very subjective, personal, and debatable; I don't think we could ever reach a consensus because there are so many excellent products available now.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »
Chinook.  You give alot of choices here, good ones too.  It would be difficult to pick just one.  I have used several on your list and have settled on Ballistol and as you noted, recommended by Richard.  Militec, I like alot too.  

Tracker is right.  Excellent choices out there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:00:28 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Sorry, I should have given credit to Michigunner, who started the original thread in question.  Also, to the many of you who replied to his thread.  I simply "extracted" and summarized (plagiarized ??) those replies to start this thread.

I, too, have many of these lube products.  And every time I start to lube my pup (sadly, I only have one), I wonder if the lub I reach for is the one I should use.

I'm especially intrigued by Maria's input on what the factory uses (One Shot), a product I have not yet tried.

So my question to you all who have multiple lube products... which one do you reach for first when you lube your pups?

Regards
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
For me, it's Ballistol.  I do like this stuff.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
I have been using Hoppes Elite oil as I use that on my other guns.

I think I'll need to try out the Hornady One Shot as it is recommended by Rohrbaugh.  I've wanted to try a dry lube and it looks like this is the one to try.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »
* * *So my question to you all who have multiple lube products... which one do you reach for first when you lube your pups?

Regards

Ballistol.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
Does Ballistol leave a dry film or an oily film?  Tell me more!
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »
Does Ballistol leave a dry film or an oily film?  Tell me more!

I liken it almost to Teflon, but it never gums up or hardens.  However, before I begin to sound like a company spokesman, here's a link to to their U. S. website:

http://www.ballistol.com/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »
Richard told me about Ballistol when I joined the Forum, been using it on all my guns and I am now a die hard believer.

If you own an AR15 and try it before you next range trip you will see what I mean.  

Thanks Richard!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
My pleasure, Dino. It was my FFL who introduced me to Ballistol, handing me a can and referring to it as "the ultimate survival juice." (I've even used it to help light campfires in the rain.  8) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
Last I checked Midway has Ballistol on sale.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:55 PM »
I get so frustrated with Midway's shipping costs.  I just set up an order for Ballistol (aerosol & 2 liquid) and One-Shot.  Came to about $27.  Then shipping came to $14!!  They only offered UPS; maybe they can't use USPS for an oil (flammable?).

I just can't order something when the shipping is half the cost of the product.  Good grief...

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
Ebay has better prices....

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:53:15 AM »
Never tried Ebay, thanks!  I buy it by the gallon and put it in my own dispensers no need for any more now but will check it out next time.  I have been buying direct from Ballistol, $10.00 shipping.

Buy the way Richard, I bought a new set of blades for my mower and coated them 4 or 5 times before putting them on.

I know it is sounds crazy...but no grass sticks to them!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:56:59 AM by Dino »