Author Topic: Oil instead of Grease?  (Read 24536 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: Oil instead of Grease?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
The only thing to watch w. eezox is it will build up.  Mine built up on my Pro Carry to the point that my 22 conversion kit wouldn't function anymore.  But, it does work really well at blocking corrosion.  (I suspect the build up was a result of not shooting that much, but compulsively cleaning and lubing it every time I went shooting.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline henryk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »
I am very new to the forum and at the risk of sounding stupid Has any one used Eezox to lub the R-9? If so what wer the results? Thanks robert

Hope I am not beating a dead horse here due to the fact that this is an old thread.  I have used EEZOX and love it.  I also apply a tiny drop of Nanolube here and there and the effect is excellent.  Covers all the bases and gives me super results.  :)

Offline ken

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
We have been using Zep 2000 on all our slide guns now for about a year. I own a small machine shop and so does my brother in law. I got a can from the rep that services his shop. We have not had any malfunctions of any kind on our dozen or so slide guns since we started using it. We usually take 6 of them to the range at a time and we almost always had a fail to feed or jam of some sort at least once. I like that it only takes a light spray to lube the slides and rails, it is very slippery. Even after months I have not found it to change in viscosity or dry up, so it is easy to clean up. It is thinner than Super Lube and is closer to thick oil than a grease but it does not run or sag. For our wheel guns we still use Break Free.

Offline ken

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »
We have been using Zep 2000 on all our slide guns now for about a year. I own a small machine shop and so does my brother in law. I got a can from the rep that services his shop. We have not had any malfunctions of any kind on our dozen or so slide guns since we started using it. We usually take 6 of them to the range at a time and we almost always had a fail to feed or jam of some sort at least once. I like that it only takes a light spray to lube the slides and rails, it is very slippery. Even after months I have not found it to change in viscosity or dry up, so it is easy to clean up. It is thinner than Super Lube and is closer to thick oil than a grease but it does not run or sag. For our wheel guns we still use Break Free.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »
ken, good report and it sounds like a great lube.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Maineiac

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
My 2 cents ...A while back sent my Sig to Grayguns for custom work. Spoke to Bruce and at the time he was using Slide-Glide....I've been using it ever since, on all my guns.. Usually go 300-400 rounds (within week or so) before cleaning. Never have noticed crud buildup. Guns are a snap to clean, stuff wipes right off.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with you on Slide-Glide--great stuff.

Offline popoconnee

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post.  I spoke with Maria about 6 months ago and  as TW stated in an earlier post....Rohrbaugh is recommending oil instead of lube.  But I need to qualify this statement.  maria told me that what they use is Hornady One Shot or Miltec for the Slide.  Mobile 1 for other places......HOWEVER....you can still use lube on the barrel joint, lug and front of muzzle.

I'll make a call down to Rohrbaugh within the next week to see if anything has changed.

Regards to all,

Ed

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »
Welcome, Ed

It sounds like you have it right. Originally, it was Superlube
grease all the way but I think some of us may have overdone
it and created problems on the overdone side. Also, there are
so many good lubricants now available that weren't in the past.

There are many excellent posts on this issue and are well worth
reviewing.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
popoconnee.
First, welcome to the forum.  You'll find a treasure trove of information here, plus a great bunch of helpful Rohrbaugh owners.

+1 on the Slide Glide.  Brian Enos, the champion shooter / instructor markets this stuff on his website, http://www.brianenos.com/.  I've also seen it advertised lately in several of the mail order houses websites.

I'm sure the quality gun oil recommendation will work fine, but my R9S has been on a grease diet since new and I'm not about "to change what ain't broke".  I don't butter up the parts too much, just a bit in the rails, in the muzzle end of the slide, the barrel locking lugs, and wherever I see evidence of contact.  
For the fire controls, I bought a lifetime supply of Mobil 1 oil (a quart will last several lifetimes).  

Steve  

Offline popoconnee

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 10:52:43 PM »
Thanks for the welcome tracker and sslater.  I agree with you Steve...if grease has been working....."if it ain't broke.....don't fix it".

I'm looking forward to reading more of the posts.  There is a wealth of information on the site.  It's good to be be fellow Rohrbaugh owners who understand this great little pistol.

By the way, I've gotten quick responses and super service from the Rohrbaugh Team.

Ed

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »
Users of Slide Glide:

Which of the 3 viscosities to you recommend for the pup?

Thanks
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum,  popoconnee.  What tracker and Steve said.  I use Militec and the lube they sent with the oil.  Works very well.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:51 PM »
I use the light grade on my R9S.  

Steve

Offline popoconnee

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
Hi Everyone.....

Again, I am new to the forum but I am enjoying all the great information on here.

As I mentioned in my first post I planned to call Rohrbaugh on the grease vs. oil question.

I spoke with Maria today....she told me that they were no longer recommending the use of grease or lube.  She said "use a quality gun oil....the grease tends to pick up and accumulate dirt".

I ask her if it mattered if it were a new gun or one of the first ones (I have one of the first ones made)..she said it didn't matter.

She told me that they use Hornady One Shot on all of the parts of the pistol at the factory.

Thanks guys.
Ed