Author Topic: R-9 or R-9s?  (Read 6639 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
R-9 or R-9s?
« on: May 19, 2004, 07:56:16 PM »
I personally like sights on my gun, small or not.

Who is choosing the R-9 (no sights) or the R-9s and why?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 07:56:30 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: R-9 or R-9s?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »
Unless someone can sway me, I'm ordering mine with sights.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 10:46:17 PM »
I agree, I like some type of site picture.

I have the R9S coming

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 06:06:05 PM »
I have the R9s, but I also have three Seecamps, and the lack of sights doesn't bother me at all.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 01:27:25 PM »
With such a small gun I doubt it really matters much or makes a lot of difference .. such a short sight base anyways.

However, being old and a ''purist'' .. chose the sights .. maybe even looks that touch more handsome.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 06:46:33 PM »
I ordered the model with sights, figuring I could always disregard the small sights if I wanted to. They are really tiny and it takes me too long to get on target using them. So far I've usually ignored them. I considered putting orange fingernail polish on the front sight ramp to see if that speeds things up, but haven't done it yet.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 02:00:47 AM »
I like the sights a lot and the gun is so wonderfully accurate that I look forward to a lot of good shooting as I train myself to shoot it better.

I've shot it enough to know that it is capable of FAR more accuracy than anyone will easily believe.  I expect this gun to be a real sleeper at the target boards!  

I am already shooting it equal to my Keltec P-11 and I've done well enough with it to best a few of the folks at the local range who were using regular pistols!!!!  I LIKE that.   ;D

Accuracy is something that is important to all of us and more to some of us than others.  I expect to have a few of the local police, especially those who do special duty work, to want a Rohrbaugh, when they see how accurate they can be with enough practice and proper ammo... and that proper ammo may be WWB (Winchester White Box) from WalMart.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 10:16:49 AM »
Speaking of accuracy, I was pretty consistently hitting man-size center-of-mass targets at FIFTY YARDS with the sighted model once I adjusted for point of impact.  Close up (at distances the gun was designed for) it shot to point of aim.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 11:09:34 PM »
Its a acuurate easy to shoot little gun.  They are by far the most usable milled in slide sites I have seen/used.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 10:34:40 PM »
Am I the only person getting a siteless one? It seems to me that sites would not come into play under the conditions I may have to use it. Under stress, I believe it would be point and shoot time. Knowing that, althought I've used sites all my life when shooting, and also figuring that the actual use would most likely come at night, sites seem not to be a necessity. Why would Mr. Rohrbaugh make one without sites if the research showed it was a necessity?

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 10:55:01 PM »
I think the sighted versions were necessary if Rohrbaugh wanted to take advantage of the LEO market.  Most police agencies require sights on handguns carried by their officers.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 11:03:04 PM »
I talked with Eric yesterday and he told me that the orders were 60% R-9 and 40% R-9s. His belief is that the R-9 will be more desirable as time goes by. He explained that this gun was design for "close" defence, not to punch paper. He said to not use a bulleye target, but a man sillouette target and shoot in ways that might occur in a real life scenario.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 11:53:34 AM »
I agree that the vast majority of shootings where such a pistol would be useful would be in the very close, point-shoot kind of situation.

However, as long as the sites are small and snagproof, and don't really add to the weight, then heck, why not have them?  Just because they are there, doesn't mean you can't still ignore them and point shoot.

And I like the option of using them if needed.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 08:53:15 PM »
FJC:

My thoughts exactly.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"