Author Topic: Recoil Spring, passing on a message from Eric.  (Read 8493 times)

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
Recoil Spring, passing on a message from Eric.
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:58:54 PM »
 :) Talking with Eric about a week ago I said I'd post this message, sorry I'm late. He said he had "assumed",in error, that the "outer" recoil spring could go well beyound the 500rds replacement mark talked about in the owners manuel. "This is WRONG", according to both his brother,Karl, and the design team. At this time springs can only be ordered from Rohrbaugh. The cost is $2.98 per spring. I ordered two, and sent them a money order for $10.98.  That amount covers both the springs and $5.00 for shipping. Think of it as an oil change for your Porche. Hope this information helps.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: Recoil Spring, passing on a message from Eric.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 11:42:41 PM »
Thanks, Bob, not a bad idea to have a spare or two on hand.
I've started keeping small stuff related to the R9 under the padding in the case. (Disassembly punch, disassembly dowel, etc.)

By the way, a friend of mine looked at the Rohrbaugh and compared it to a Lamborghini! I know that's a compliment, but does anyone know if they were reliable?  ;)

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 11:56:15 PM »
Ok, now I'm confused.  Soon after I got my R9S (in the first batch shipped), I had my dealer order me a replacement recoil spring because of the 500 round replacement advice.  My dealer spoke with either Eric or Karl (I can't remember which one) when he placed the order, and he was told that the 500 round spec was in error, that the recoil spring should last +4,000 rounds.  I got the spring anyway and a spare mag.

So are we now back to 500 rounds?

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 07:03:51 AM »
 As I said in my "post", Eric said he made a mistake about how often the spring should be changed and I'm passing the info along for him.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 09:20:03 AM »
Yipes, big mistake!  I hope he gets the word out to everyone.

500 rounds per spring change isn't that surprising.  On any small pistol those springs take a heavy beating.  I believe the chopped .45's (like the Colt Defender I had) had a recommendation of every 1000 rounds.  

At a couple bucks per spring I'm not too concerned.  Now, if it were every 250 rounds, and it was some crazy spring system that cost $30 to replace every time...well that'd be another story. :)
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 11:37:58 AM »
Sounds like this will be a good reason to keep a log on your R-9 (if you don't do this already) and really track how many rounds you put through it.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 01:19:43 PM »
Hmmm...sounds like it should be a lifetime warranty replacement item to me.

I doubt that mine will get 500 rounds through it soon.  Once I ensure reliability (say 200 rounds) for carry, it will be loaded with the chosen SD round and then possibly carried daily (if it forces the P-3AT from my pocket -- which has free spring replacement BTW) and fired only occassionally.

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 09:15:46 PM »
"if it forces the P-3AT from my pocket"

Fly and Scuba:

I have a feeling it will.  You will not likely feel the difference, but will see a BIG difference.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 11:00:33 PM »
There is no doubt that the R9s will become my "always" gun.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 11:30:07 PM »
I think a spare spring or two will be something I must fix soon - keep on hand.  Whilst I hope once I have #2 that this first R9s will be allowed to be somewhat ''out to pasture'' ... because of the evaluation and testing to date ... I have put over 150 thru already! :P

As Frank FJC said ... this lil pup takes quite a beating so - best to follow recommendations.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 08:30:15 AM »
I was not surprised at the 500 round change-out; rather, I was surprised at a 4,000 round change-out (I'm not aware of any recoil spring that will last that long!).  Kimber recommends a recoil spring change at 800 rounds and they mean it.  When I removed the Kimber old recoil spring and laid it along side the new replacement, the old one was a full 4 coils shorter than the new one!  I agree with the "oil change" analogy; just like fresh oil keeps your engine from taking a beating and wearing out fast, so fresh recoil springs keep your guns from taking a beating and wearing out fast.  It is VERY cheap insurance!

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 08:42:18 PM »
I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 12:07:11 AM »
Hi Musician,

When I took the instuctor class for Glock Pistols they told us that the recoil springs should be changed after every 30,000 rounds. I have no problem changing the Rohbaugh springs every 500 rounds though.

Frank
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 11:08:17 AM by shooterjb »

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 11:57:32 AM »
With the exception of my 22 S&W model 622--which I abused without mercy, I have never let a gun get beyond maybe 5,000 rounds without replacing recoil springs. In my two NAA Guardians I change recoil springs every 1,000 period.

My intent with the Rohrbaugh is to get to a point where I replace the springs every 200-250 rounds. At 6 bucks at a crack, it is a cheap insurance plan .

Offline yadda_yadda

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 09:19:47 PM »
Where/how do you buy replacement recoil springs?  I can't find them on the Rohrbaugh web site.

Thanks