Author Topic: Why in the world would anyone...  (Read 16241 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: Why in the world would anyone...
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2004, 06:08:32 PM »
Mags are made by a Long Island company: http://www.checkmateindustries.com/dynamic/p_arms.htm

Checkmate Industries  
77  Mount Ave  
Wyndanch, Long Island, NY 11798

I've heard of them doing hard chrome on P7s over on parkcitiestactical.com  Horace Booth is the cofounder of Checkmate, but has now formed his own company Ford's Guns.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 06:22:55 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2004, 06:12:45 PM »
Thanks Justin!...I've never heard of them before.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2004, 08:37:44 PM »
Just had that confirmed Justin .. cos I had forgotten myself.  Thx for digging that out.

Had a great chat with Eric not long ago - and have posted following that .... HERE

I must find a copy of that mag ... somewhere.  Funny (sorta) there is Karl at Rohrbaugh ... didn't even see his mag until last minute, even tho a subscriber ... and not as many did, last Wednesday, or whenever it was!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Bandit

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 12:00:46 AM »
question #1 - can those with r9/r9s in hand tell me whether the grips are wider than the slide?  how wide do they measure across (in mm)?

question #2 - can someone post a side-by-side and rear pic of r9/r9s with a pm9 (yes, i am familiar with the pic of the r9 and the pm9 cast mold, but i'd like to see it beside an actual pm9 if you have the time & the camera - thanks)?

question #3 - FJC, you said "What I really need is a small, light, flat pistol (like the P-3AT) that is of a serious caliber (like the 340PD)."  I have read that the three or four best .380 JHP rounds have better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose.  Is this true?  Perhaps you already own your ideal gun.

thanks for the responses

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 12:18:32 AM »
Bandit - welcome!  :)

Can't answer all your queries - I have no PM9 to photograph I'm afraid.  I'd hazard a guess (for now) that the Karh is ''fatter''.  BTW --- R9 or R9s .. only the sights make them different .... otherwise identical.

Q#1 ... grip width vs slide width ...........

Slide - 0.820", grip - 0.890" ....... not much wider at all.  One reason I suspect the carbon fiber grips were decided on ... to get them that thin.

Q #3 .... I know that is directed at Frank but .... hard to believe that the 380 will drastically outdo the 38 spl from 2" ... and certainly, I reckon with the R9 and 6+1 Gold Dots on board ........ it'll outdo both for sure!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004, 12:41:21 AM »
Hi Bandit:

The PM 9 is a great pistol, jut not a true pocket pistol.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2004, 12:49:45 AM »
The grip panels are the same width as the slide at the top and widen near the bottom.  I suppose to give a better grip.  I had considered getting a PM9 for quite sometime.  I was reluctant because of its Glockesque, i.e., brickesque shape.
With millions invested in their current products, manufacturers have chosen to cut corners by simply cutting back on barrels and grips to give their guns a smaller look and feel.
The glock 26 is the epitome of this statement.  I don't know if you've ever picked one up but it's pretty ridiculous.  Kahr is also to a lesser extent being a thinner and lighter platform. The back of the slide is still a brick.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2004, 01:01:08 AM »
Justin .... 10/10 for observation!  I in my careless appraisal did the unthinkable .. only took one sample measurement of grips.  sheesh ... wicked!

Of course ... they do indeed have slight taper ...... (re-measures to try and effect reduced loss of face! :P )

Measuring slide again BTW - 0.810" seems nearer!  Should take off my puter glasses and exchange for usual ones!

Top of grips under slide ...... (note - right grip panel slightly thicker at top compared with left - that figures) ..... is indeed around the 0.810" - 0.820" mark.  Base thickness swells out to around 0.910"
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2004, 09:55:58 AM »
question #3 - FJC, you said "What I really need is a small, light, flat pistol (like the P-3AT) that is of a serious caliber (like the 340PD)."  I have read that the three or four best .380 JHP rounds have better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose.  Is this true?  Perhaps you already own your ideal gun.

I haven't seen anything that claims a .380 out of a 1.75" barrel (I think that's the barrel length on the P-3AT) can outperform a .38 +P from a 2" snub-nose.  If you have a source for that info I'd love to see it.

And regardless, the argument would be the .380 vs. 9mm...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 10:15:15 AM by FJC »
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Bandit

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2004, 10:57:54 AM »
Base thickness swells out to around 0.910"

r9          pm9

length     5.2"          5.3"

Base
thickness  .910"        .9"

Seems to be getting pretty close.

FJC - I believe P3AT has a 2.75" barrel.  Here is a milk jug test I am aware of:

http://ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1523&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Some non-P3AT-specific sites of interest:

http://www.powernet.net/~eich1/sp.html

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Unaware of real-world stopping stats involving specifically a P3AT, but I'd venture to say they're at least in the same ballpark.  And the 3AT is probably much easier to carry....

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2004, 10:10:01 PM »
I've been an admirer of the .380 ACP for the last 40 years, starting with the Walther PPK back in Germany in the 1960s.  However, when the Rohrbaugh became available in 9mm, I suddenly "got religion."  I shall always have my G380 somewhere nearby, but I expect from now on to be carrying my R9s on a regular basis.  Besides, just consider the wide range of ammunition available in 9mm -- all the way from the ultra-light supersonics to the heavy-hitting subsonics.  (As for myself, I lean toward the latter for a defensive round.)

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Bandit

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2004, 12:39:46 AM »
question #2 - can someone post a side-by-side and rear pic of r9/r9s with a pm9 (yes, i am familiar with the pic of the r9 and the pm9 cast mold, but i'd like to see it beside an actual pm9 if you have the time & the camera - thanks)?

have read several posts claiming ownership of both guns..........................pictures? ???