Author Topic: We are no longer the smallest 9 mm ??  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Re: We are no longer the smallest 9 mm ??
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 11:47:43 PM »
I purchased the .380 Kel-Tec model after getting the R9 ...

... but was less than impressed with the Kel-Tec and after a trip to the factory didn't correct the problem, I traded the gun in. Still have the R9 :)

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 09:45:41 AM »
[quote author=DDGator

I do have to quarrel with your price analogy.  A base Porsche 911 runs about $71,000.  Your average nice commuter car (say a Honda Accord LX) is about $20,000.  That makes the Porsche about 3x more expensive...

A Glock 26 is a pretty good example of a "working man's gun."  It runs about $500.  An R-9 can be had for less than $1,000, so its something like 2x more expensive...

[/quote]

DDGator:

Thanks for your reply..

I don't think we need to quarrel about the analogy as when I was making the price comparison I was comparing the price of a new Rohrbaugh to what should be the price of KelTec's new "slim" 9mm pistol.

I've read where the price of the KelTec should be realistically be sold for around $250.00.  KelTec's are generally discounted from retail price, even tho for the first few months that might not necessarily be true..

I've "heard" that Rohrbaugh's generally are NOT discounted as they are hard to get, and apparently still not produced in sufficent numbers to allow for discounts in general.  I could be wrong in this, but even if they sold for $750.00 + tax they would still be three times the price of the KelTec.  Can you purchase a new Rohrbaugh for $750.00?  If so, then I stand corrected, and apologize.

As for the Glock 26.  When the Glock 26's were first sold to the public I had yet to retire, so my "buy the flavor of the month" firearm mindset was still in effect..  In fact I bought two of the suckers.  I didn't like them.  They had a trigger action that I respectully suggest is an AD looking to happen for AVERAGE shooters.  I think Glocks are fine for professional shooters, and LEO types (except for the guy who shot himself in the leg with a 40cal Glock while demonstrating how to be "safe with firearms" to a class of elementary school kids..)...   The Glock 26 felt like a brick in my hands, was not as accurate (for me) as my Sig P239, and had a ftf problem.  I sold them both.  I don't consider the Glock 26 in the same "size" for easy concealed carry as I do the Rohrbaugh or the new KelTec we are discussing.  

You are entirely correct in that it is easier to save $500 than an extra $50,000 (or it is here in my household), but IMO Honda Accord purchasers (yep, I had one of those too..) generally never make it by the local Porsche dealership for a test ride.  Most know putting a Porsche in the garage just "ain't" (I live in Ga.) gonna happen.

Thanks again for your response.

Best Wishes,

JP.   ;D
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline dctfn

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
Reading through this string I feel compelled to ask.....

For those PM9 owners or past owners, in your opinion is the R9 trigger smother than the PM9. If it is in a couple weeks I will be in trigger heaven. The PM9 IMO is the best DA pull I have ever experienced. Smooth as silk as reviews have indicated.

Is it the same type feel through travel, different, inbetween, etc.

Thx, Fred

Offline HiFlight

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 07:19:46 PM »
IIRC correctly from checking out the PM9, the R9 has a smoother and somewhat lighter trigger.  Both are good, but I think the R9 is a nicer feeling trigger.  The trigger feel was the first thing I noticed  that demonstrated the overall craftsmanship present in the gun.  

Perhaps a forum member owning both guns can comment more accurately than I can from my memory of the PM9 trigger.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 07:20:35 PM by HiFlight »
HiFlight
Ft Myers, FL
Rohrbaugh R9s, P3AT, Guardian380, S&W 637, S&W 2214, Ruger MkIII Hunter,

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 10:12:04 PM »
The MK9 has a smoother and somewhat lighter trigger but it lacks a repeat striker capability which is found on the R9 and the R9 has a nicer feeling trigger IMO.