Author Topic: Ranger T's?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
Ranger T's?
« on: May 28, 2006, 12:24:24 AM »
Anyone ever tried these?
I am using the Speer 124 gr Gold Dots for my Rohrbaugh but am switching up to Ranger T's for the rest of my carry guns and it would be nice to have the same carry ammo for all.  
Just thought I would check here to see if anyone has tried the Ranger T's.....  If so, please let me know about it!  If not, odds are I will just stick with the GD's
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
Barrett Tillman

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Ranger T's?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 08:25:42 AM »
JYogi,

Yes, they are very highly regarded.  I fired 19 rounds of Ranger LEO 147 Gr through my R9S with no problem.  It is RA9T and the only standard pressure 9mm, as far as I know.

There were some early reports of the 147 grain bullet "tumbling" while flying from the R9S.  That is, it went through the paper and did not make a perfect round hole.  I think that problem was corrected by Rohrbaugh.

A few years ago, many forum posters laughed at the 147 grain bullet.  Now, all that has changed around completely and it is often the 9mm choice among law enforcement, so I've read.

After spending many hours at Sigforum, I concluded that the most favored choice was Ranger LEO, followed by perhaps Gold Dot and Golden Saber.  

I  get mine from Jerry Kirkpatrick.  You email him for a price list, tell him how many you want, your address, and he will get you the cost.  Jerry is a fine guy to do business with, and everyone likes him.

My R9S does not care what ammo it gets.  I now carry Winchester Silver Tips 115 grain.  Mr. Rohrbaugh is said to carry the same.

Bill  

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:48:28 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Larry

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:08:22 PM »
Hi Folks: Wishing a great holiday wk end to all.  
I was suggested by Maria @ Rohrbaugh I try RA9T ammo.  However, it is restricted to LE only. Whereas I could probably get hold of a box, I do not know the 'skinny' on actually deploying "LE Only" if I am not a LEO.  It seems like you could cause a potential problem if Heaven forbid, one had to use it in a situation.  Many years ago simple hollow points were looked at askance as "dum-dums". Of course I think it is ludicrous that anyone cannot buy these easily, but it is what it is. The online ammo sites request a departmental requisition or letter to order!  Please enlighten me.
Larry.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 03:20:46 PM »
Larry,

I think it is generally accepted that LEO ammo is just fine.  You can obtain it from several sources, but I prefer Jerry Kirkpatrick.

If they were evil death-ray rounds, then police officers would shy away from them.   :D

I strongly believe they are widely used, especially after reading the Sigarms forum.

Bill

Offline Larry

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 03:44:45 PM »
Thanks Bill.  Good to hear.  When I lived in Upstate NY, the State Police confiscated a nightstick which I kept in my car. I had a handgun and permit at the time.  The gun was not a problem at all. The nightstick was as it was "police equipment".  It would not have happened if they were locals. Luckily, I just lost the stick. Down here in FL, the license is a "concealed Weopon" license. That covers quite a lot. (RPG's excepted). Glad I live here when it comes to 2nd Amendment and the like.
Bill, could you give me Jerry Kirkpatrick contact info?
Thanks in Advance, Larry

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 04:32:33 PM »
Larry,

Please email him and ask for his prices for Ranger LEO, then he will email the price list, then you tell him what you want and how many boxes, and he will email the total price.

You can depend on him.  One of the very best guys around.

jwkpatrick@yahoo.com

Bill

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:35:44 PM by Michigunner »

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 06:36:50 PM »
I use the Ranger L.E.O. 147 grain SXT and like it. Alot. My R-9 seems to have tamed a bit and likes them now even better than Gold-dots. Usually when a round is labled L.E.O. its in .38 special or 9mm and is usualy a +P+ load. The reason for the L.E.O. spec is because if not in effect, someplace, somewhere, some idiot would load them in a less than worthy pistol with catastrophic results.

Another issue is marketing. Cops are like anyone else, subject to marketing. Back in the day, a "big ole" hog leg was carried as a duty weapon, then along comes Bill Jordan the boarder Patrol/gun guro and he says hey, this things heavy after 8 hours on the hip. Smith & Wesson makes a K-frame .357 to "lighten the load" and so the fad goes towards smaller, lighter guns. Now fast forward to the Semiauto switch craze. All of a sudden departments are switching over to semiautos, most being 9mms. They start carrying "compact versions" to save wieght, with short barrels most of which are not polygonal bored and the 147 grain 9mm bullet is introduced also. So, Short barrel, heavy load, and SLOW velocity. Of course the 9mm benefits from higher velocitys. Stopping powers the pits, so the ammo companys start making +P+ loads to deliever more velocity. They know it will work becuase American 9mm ammos a little weak anyway compared to the original 9mm specs from Germany. Then, the .40 cal is introduced and once again many depts switch over.