Author Topic: Problems (bad wear) with my Rohrbaugh... HELP!  (Read 5343 times)

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
Problems (bad wear) with my Rohrbaugh... HELP!
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
OK
Had my Rohrbaugh to my Gunsmith Ned Christensen for a check over, cleaning etc etc.  (Ned is very well known and has written for SWAT and other mags like that if you guys dont know the name)

Anyway, he sent me an Email asking me if I shoot that thing a ton or something?  I told him no, I was under 150 rds through it total and its always been the Speer Gold Dot I was told to shoot when I bought it why?  He told me "The locking abutment on the barrel and locking recess in the slide are slowly but surely shearing each other."  

What should I do?
I have had the gun a couple years but rarely ever shoot it...
Any ideas, suggestions as to what to say, who to talk to, what they may say/do???

I hope this isnt going to be a problem getting resolved....
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
Barrett Tillman

John

Re: Problems (bad wear) with my Rohrbaugh... HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 04:58:29 PM »
Call Rohrbaugh firearms at 1-800-803-2233. Maria will answer the phone tell her your problem. The guns are under warranty for life to the original owner. As long as it wasn't abused. Meaning using + p ammo etc. Which you stated only gold dots.
They have helped out everyone that I have heard of to this point, including myself. John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:10:09 PM by John »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 05:23:59 PM »
JYagoda,

150rds seems a little premature for this type of wear but I can tell you this,  this wear is common on some R9's.  It seems to stop after the initial wear.  You can send it back if you want to but if you haven't had any jam problems I personally(and have done this) would not worry about it.
I have 2 R9's and they are the finest conceiled carry handgun on the planet given their size, weight, and caliber IMO.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 08:09:01 PM »
150rds seems a little premature for this type of wear but I can tell you this,  this wear is common on some R9's.  It seems to stop after the initial wear.  
Really? I don't recall hearing about this type of wear before. Has it been discussed on this forum?

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:20:19 PM »
harrydog,

Yes it has.  It has been many, many months and I can't tell you which thread or threads it is in but it has been brought up here before.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:21:25 PM »
There is NO way in the world I will just ignore this.
If this isnt something they are able to resolve I will be selling my Rohrbaugh as I am not going to carry something that has a problem I am ignoring which could become a serious issue when I actually need the Rohrbaugh.
If this is fixed odds are I will end up buying a Elite Premium....

If I am really lucky they will let me spend a tiny bit of $ and upgrade to a slide with sights....  We shall see.

Sorry but this wear is not normal or acceptable.  Ned is one of the top gunsmiths in the country, he knows whats normal and what isnt.

JYagoda,

150rds seems a little premature for this type of wear but I can tell you this,  this wear is common on some R9's.  It seems to stop after the initial wear.  You can send it back if you want to but if you haven't had any jam problems I personally(and have done this) would not worry about it.
I have 2 R9's and they are the finest conceiled carry handgun on the planet given their size, weight, and caliber IMO.

Mike
Barrett Tillman

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:34:07 AM »
JYagoda,

"Sorry, but this wear is not normal or acceptable".

I am sorry you feel that way but you are incorrect in your statement that this wear is not normal.  It is quite normal for some R9's and this wear has not lead to any failures of the gun to my knowlege.

I will also dispute your "top gunsmith's" opinion about what is normal and what is not.  He obviously doesn't have a lot of experience with the R9 or he would know what is normal for some R9's and what is not.

Do not worry though.  From all I have heard the R brothers have excellent customer service.  They will try their best to satisfy you.  All it will cost you is shipping, 50 or 60 bucks maybe.  Definately get shipping insurance.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »
What Mike said.

If not seen before, the information at this link may be of interest:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/frame-wear.htm

My R9 now has 3-1/2 years of service with only recommended recoil spring changes and the original magazines, which I rotate twice a year. It has always been carefully cleaned and lubricated, and has remained totally reliable. It's in my pocket now, as usual, and I trust it completely.

Good luck with yours.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:14:21 PM »
please don't over react, just call Maria at Rohrbaugh and they will help calm you and take care of any problems.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »
No worries.......just gett'n broken in good.   My gun shows the same wear and after some research into previous posts, it's of no concern to me anymore.  

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
That post was about frame wear, if you see my problems were not related to the frame...
Barrett Tillman

Offline jecrhrbgh

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 05:20:49 PM »
JYagoda,

I have the same thing happening on my R9S stealth.  I have had it only a few months and about the same number of rounds.  I thought it was the equivalent of the frame wear previously mentioned, but upon further inspection, you can see the actual lines from the shearing force.  The lines are located in the slide's locking recess and corresponding in the top of the barrel.  I also have what looks like regular frame-type wear on the sides of the slide (inside).  I tried to take pictures of mine, but my camera doesn't want to show the detail necessary to depict what I am typing.  Let me know what you find out when you call Rohrbaugh.  I may give them a call myself.  I understand that the R9 has tight tolerances, but actual removal of metal is never a good thing (especially when it costs $1000).  

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 09:55:37 PM »

This was the first thread frame wear was discussed with pictures.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1120281702;start=0
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
If there is great concern on your gun call Rohrbaugh. They will take good care of you and your pup.

I got an e-mail from one of my early customers yesterday, telling me he is very happy with his R9s after shooting over 4,000 rds. This is the norm.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 08:05:46 PM »
DVC,

Lets get a few things straight.  I don't know about any best manufactured or tightest tollerances.  If you will review some of my long ago posts you will see that I don't sugar coat things.  I have had some severe problems with my R9's.  I have also been an owner long enough to figure out what is important with this gun and what is not.  If you think the R9 is a range/plinking gun you should sell it right now as it will be a dissapointment.

I know my posts always sound "harsher" they I intend.  I am not trying to tweak anybody or anything like that.  It is just that if you are familiar with message boards then you know that they are all cyclical in nature.  The same topics come up over and over.  MAYBE  this type of wear is new and abnormal.  I doubt it though.

Anyway, lets hear what the factory has to say about this particular wear pattern.

One good thing is that JYagoda was not complaining about any type of jam or ftf problems.  Those are the only important problems with a pistol of this type anyway.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member