Author Topic: Problems (bad wear) with my Rohrbaugh... HELP!  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Problems (bad wear) with my Rohrbaugh... HELP!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »
A picture of the worn area is always helpful for the group to view also,so one can keep an eye out for anything unusual..

I too have been one that has been happy with the pup,since very early on..Just "lucky" I guess.. ;)

If there is a "new" problem with wear,the R Bros will take care of you..And please report any findings..

BTW,welcome to the forum..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »
Welcome to the Forum?
I have been here since 05, I just do not post all the time....

So far I have not had any luck in contacting R.....

I was told to contact them via an alternate method
as I am unable to get on the phone during their shop
hours and I still have yet to hear back from them.

I know they are great guys and have great customer
service and they will surely make this right....
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
Barrett Tillman

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
I talked with Maria at Rohrbaugh today with no problem by phone. Go to lunch and then call her on their 800 number.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 04:22:39 PM »
Welcome to the Forum?
I have been here since 05, I just do not post all the time....

So far I have not had any luck in contacting R.....

I was told to contact them via an alternate method
as I am unable to get on the phone during their shop
hours and I still have yet to hear back from them.

I know they are great guys and have great customer
service and they will surely make this right....

Sorry-did not mean any offense..It had been awhile since you had posted,not sure if I had greeted you earlier..

Btw-welcome back after a 10 month hiatus of posting!! ;)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »
Tom...
Some of us work from 8-6 at least and rarely take a break to
go to the bathroom let alone a lunch break....

Its no fun trust me but between selling my condo, redoing
my house, moving a business thats just starting and a family
business we have had for 80 years which is slowing down due
to the MI economy and requires even more of my time so I
can cut costs on staff which overlaps things I can do for the
time being till the economy picks back up.  In other words
I have no time and have been doing 7 days a week 9-14 hr days
for 3 mths straight...

Brenden, no offense taken but just wanted you and everyone else here
reading this post to realize I have a Rohrbaugh owner for quite some time and have been reading and studying about the Rohrbaugh for sometime...  I think it is hands down the BEST CC piece for a pocket piece bar none!  I just think there is an issue with mine and thats expected NO ONE can always be perfect.  I am sure they will take care of it when I am able to catch up with them.  I have tried an alternate means of contact and I hope it will work to rush things a little.  

Thanks Everyone!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 06:42:46 PM by JYogi »
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
Barrett Tillman

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »
What Mike said.

If not seen before, the information at this link may be of interest:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/frame-wear.htm

My R9 now has 3-1/2 years of service with only recommended recoil spring changes and the original magazines, which I rotate twice a year. It has always been carefully cleaned and lubricated, and has remained totally reliable. It's in my pocket now, as usual, and I trust it completely.

Good luck with yours.

This is frame wear that you're referring to. I'm aware of this as it has been discussed here many times. But the original post said...

"The locking abutment on the barrel and locking recess in the slide are slowly but surely shearing each other."  
These are two completely different issues.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 06:45:55 AM »

This is frame wear that you're referring to. I'm aware of this as it has been discussed here many times. But the original post said...

"The locking abutment on the barrel and locking recess in the slide are slowly but surely shearing each other."  
These are two completely different issues.

Point taken.  I should have been more specific by referring to the last paragraphs of the linked material regarding the importance of precise lubrication in this pistol design:

[size=10]Let me try and describe in words - the cycle of events -

At the instant of the slide beginning rearward travel, as round fires and pressures begin to back off from peak, we have the barrel moving rearward by approx 1/4", as recoil springs are being compressed by slide - (exerting as they do said rearward force against barrel lug) - at which point the lug slot allows it to drop on the pin, and there it stays while slide continues all the way to the rear.

The slide progresses then forward, stripping a new round - which is fed into the lowered barrel and chambered, assisted by the feed ramp. The completion of the auto load is aquisition of full battery with the slide having moved fully forward, the recoil assembly is now relatively relaxed, and we see the bolt face area impinged on the round's base to complete the action.

The last 1/4" or so as around goes into battery and the slide closes, is when the lug slot then rides over the pin to lift the chamber area (barrel rear if you like) once more and go into full lock-up. This incidentally is why that lug/pin area needs lubrication.  (Emphasis added.)[/size]

Without a photograph of the wear points, I'm admittedly speculating about the cause of the problem.  My first thought, however, was that the pistol may have been running a little too dry.  An examination of the internals of my own R9 does not show a similar problem.  I would be confident that the factory could diagnose and correct the problem JY has described and hope that he will keep us informed.      
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »

Without a photograph of the wear points, I'm admittedly speculating about the cause of the problem.  My first thought, however, was that the pistol may have been running a little too dry.  An examination of the internals of my own R9 does not show a similar problem.  I would be confident that the factory could diagnose and correct the problem JY has described and hope that he will keep us informed.      
Mine shows the frame wear which is common and self limiting but it doesn't show any barrel/slide locking lug wear. This is the first I've heard of that. I agree that lack of lube could be the cause. Thankfully this seems to be an isolated case and I'm sure it will be taken care of. :)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 05:54:28 PM »
JY, I just talked with Maria at Rohrbaugh a few minutes ago. She and Marc are very interested in talking with you about this problem on your R9. Call 1-800-803-2233 and leave her a message with your name and phone number and what time zone you are in so she can call you back when its best for you. She needs the serial number on your pistol. She is happy to work with you when you have a minute or two.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus