Author Topic: original or stealth, what's your favorite  (Read 4713 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
original or stealth, what's your favorite
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »

Hello Group,

Well I have owned the original and the Stealth for quite a while.  I have to say that I prefer the original two tone.  I actually think I would probably prefer an all silver finish.

What have you other long time owners chosen as your 'favorite'?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline mcop511

Re: original or stealth, what's your favorite
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »
I'm only a short-timer with my two Rohrbaughs having only had them about a month or so. Although I like the looks of both my two tone and Stealth, I tend to lean towards the Stealth. The all black looks a little more "business like" if that makes sense, but the main reason is the sights don't wash out as bad as the stainless does to my old eyes!

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »
Put me down for the 2 tone.  I like the contrast.  Since blacks are almost impossible to match I feel the 2 tone looks more finished.  And it might show holster wear less on the slide but maybe some of out holster makers could chime in on where their holsters weightbear on the gun.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:02:05 PM »
I have two of the two-tones and I love there looks.  The one with the blue cf's looks great.  I would like a stealth also just because an all black gun looks smaller.  I guess I need to start saving again. :o

Offline Click177

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
I agree that the Stealth looks... uhmm stealthy, but I think my preference in a face-off with a perp would be to have the more noticable equalizer :o. I think the flashy stainless steel would fill that role the best (I have no experience with this senario, just relying on my logic).
-Click

Offline mcop511

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:22:23 AM »
I do have some experience there and you are right. About 20 years ago I did a felony stop on some guys in a P/U truck that were armed. It was night and I had my strobes going and my brights and spotlight on the guys. I had one of the old Randall stainless 45s trained on them and later after they were in custody  one of them commented on seeing that big ol' hole in the end of my gun pointed at them. Even with all my lights on them, he still saw the muzzle of that Randal!!!  LOL!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »
I do have some experience there and you are right. About 20 years ago I did a felony stop on some guys in a P/U truck that were armed. It was night and I had my strobes going and my brights and spotlight on the guys. I had one of the old Randall stainless 45s trained on them and later after they were in custody  one of them commented on seeing that big ol' hole in the end of my gun pointed at them. Even with all my lights on them, he still saw the muzzle of that Randal!!!  LOL!

mcop511:

Great story -- and thank you for your service.  The business end of a .45 shows a "big ol' hole" indeed:

On the topic of R9 finishes, my early issue two-tone (No. 132) still shows no visible holster wear after four years of daily carry in Hedley leather. This photograph was just taken a few minutes ago:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline mcop511

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
and thank you for your service

Hey, you're very welcome Richard.

That 132 sure is a beaut! Glad to see the finishes on these guns hold up so well.

Offline Click177

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:40:11 PM »
mcop511, I echo Richard's thanks for your service. I am glad you had the last LOL in this situation. ;D

Richard, the finish on the frame of your R9 looks excellent for four years of daily pocket travel! How much do you account that to the leather holster?

Not wanting to distract people from Riffraff's original question, but thought I would ask if anybody knows of a good replacement for the Hedley holsters, since he is sadly shutting down operations:
http://hedleyholsters.com

-Click

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:33:32 AM »
Click:

A proper fitting holster makes all the difference in preserving the finish of a handgun carried on a daily basis. R. J. Hedley is one of the true pioneers of the pocket holster. I've been singing his praises for over a decade now.

K&D Holsters is a sponsor of this Forum and makes a variety of excellent holsters for the R9. You can contact Kevin ("K-Man") by PM through the Forum or by e-mail through the K&D web site:

http://www.kdholsters.com/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Click177

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
Richard, thank you for directing me to K&D Holsters the Pocket Defender Plus (with Mag Pouch) looks like an interesting solution. http://www.kdholsters.com/pdp.php
- Click

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:36:01 PM »
Some one on this forum cautioned against carrying an
attached mag pouch because of the added weight as
opposed to carrying a separate pouch in the opposite pocket.
To each his own but a loaded R9 is about all I want to carry
in one pocket.

Offline Click177

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »
tracker, hmmm very good point. One of the big reasons to pay the premium for a Rohrbaugh is to save weight in the pocket now huh?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »
Right you are and also something I hadn't thought about is
that it may be easier to pull out the second mag from the
weak side pocket since the holster will probably remain in the
pocket after drawing the pup--just some thoughts if speed
becomes a consideration.

Offline Click177

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »
tracker, that is another good point. Thanks again.
-Click