Author Topic: Possible problem ?  (Read 6081 times)

Offline dbracin

Possible problem ?
« on: November 25, 2007, 06:51:15 PM »
My R9s slide does not slide forward until it is flush with the frame. It functions with no problems. This picture is taken without the recoil assemble installed to make sure that was not holding it. What do you think?

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Possible problem ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:27:41 PM »
I/we need a tad more info. about your difficulties.  

If I understand your post and photo I will say that many R9's exibit similar pecularaities.  Your pistol functions well so you are good to go.

This type of difficulty has been brought up here in the history of the forum.  I am assuming that when you seat a mag and rack the slide to chamber a round that the slide does go fully home or as far forward as it will go?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline dbracin

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:33:41 AM »
Correct about function. This is cosmetic at this point. However, for a gun of this quality (and cost), this frame to slide fit is unacceptable to me. My Kel-Tec frame to slide fit is better! Has anyone contacted the factory with this issue then?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:40:45 AM »
dbracin:

When you first purchased your R9, was the slide-to-frame fit the same as shown in your photograph? Also, did you purchase the piece new or used? I'm inclined to believe that something has occurred which has altered the slide/frame interface, in which case I would let the factory take a look at the pistol. For comparison, here is a shot I just took of the same area of my own R9:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dbracin

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
I did purchase it new and I don't recall noticing this slide to frame fit. It could have been like this all along or it could have developed it. I will contact Rohrbaugh.

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 02:37:17 AM »
dbracin:

When you first purchased your R9, was the slide-to-frame fit the same as shown in your photograph? Also, did you purchase the piece new or used? I'm inclined to believe that something has occurred which has altered the slide/frame interface, in which case I would let the factory take a look at the pistol. For comparison, here is a shot I just took of the same area of my own R9:

Richard, what kind of grips do you have on your pup?  I don't think I've seen those before.  They have checkering on them?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:43:43 AM »

Richard, what kind of grips do you have on your pup?  I don't think I've seen those before.  They have checkering on them?

Sharp:

Those are a prototype set of aluminum grips Eric was kind enough to let me have.  The factory will soon be offering aluminum grips as an aftermarket accessory for the R9. The new grips will be manufactured by AlumaGrips but will be available exclusively through Rohrbaugh Firearms. I don't know what design(s) the final grips will have, but (being a confirmed "grip junkie" who refuses to enter treatment for the affliction  ;)), I'll have to have some.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1195074603;start=0#4
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dbracin

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »
My R9s return from NY today. I was told the slide was out of spec and replaced. I am somewhat disappointed they had it almost 6 weeks and it cost me $25 to shipped it to them, so they could fix something that should have never left the factory. I suppose the extra recoil spring they sent was suppose to help me feel better about the money I spent to ship it to them. It did not. I have not shot it yet, but plan to soon. I was hoping to at least get a magazine from them to cover my shipping cost.  :-/

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »
Sorry to hear your gun was out of spec.  I agree that it shouldn't have gotten out of the factory this way; but 25 bucks is a good shipping rate for a firearm.  I don't know if you called them to check up on it while it was up there, but 6 weeks seems long.  

I recently had a gun go back to another company, but I wrote them that I was in no hurry, so I didn't expect to get it back soon.  It took about 1 month.  

Hopefully all will be well from here out.

Good Luck.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »
This six weeks included the Christmas and Holiday season,
did it not?

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:21:42 PM »
Dohhhhh, THAT is a great point tracker.  6 weeks at that time of year is more like 3 weeks of normal time.  If not less.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:57:31 AM »
dbracin:

I'm glad your problem was resolved by the factory so quickly -- and a six-week turnaround during a month when the factory was closed for several days to give its small staff a breather for the holidays is indeed quick response.

In your post of November 26, 2007, you stated, "I did purchase it new and I don't recall noticing this slide to frame fit. It could have been like this all along or it could have developed it. I will contact Rohrbaugh."

Each R9 is carefully inspected and test fired before leaving the factory. I find it difficult to believe that any piece with as much variance from the norm when in battery as was shown in your initial photograph would not have been noticed and sent back to the line. Since you purchased the piece new and did not notice the problem when you took delivery, I am still inclined to think that some aftermarket damage must have occurred unbeknownst to you which threw the slide out of specifications and interfered with the slide/frame interface. The amazing thing is that the pistol apparently continued to function -- another tribute to how tough these little masterpieces really are!

Whatever the cause of the problem, the factory has (as usual) made it right. I trust that you will have no more problems with what (IMNSHO) I consider to be the finest pocket pistol yet produced.

Best wishes for the New Year!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dbracin

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 06:32:28 PM »
I just want to let everyone know the status of my R9s. The worst possible thing has happened. My once reliable R9s is now NO LONGER reliable since it's return from the factory. Karl personally told me it would be 100% reliable before he returned it. That has proven to not be the case! I sent it back for the slide being out of spec. I now have a new slide and now I'm getting light primer strikes with multiple brands of ammo. It originally functioned 100% with WWB from Wal-Mart, now I can't complete a whole mag without several. So I've tried Remington, Winchester and CCI. All get light strikes. After 2 or 3 attempts, they will fire. This is unacceptable. If Rohrbaugh doesn't pay to ship it back this time, I will have an expensive paper weight for sale. And yes, I am not a happer camper.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:32:54 PM by dbracin »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »

dbracin,

I feel your pain.  This is going to sound harsh but....

You had a perfectually functioning gun but the asthetics were not perfect.  Now you have a gun that looks perfect but does not function right.  You should have been satisfied with the perfectly functioning gun.  This is why I have not sent either of my 2 back even though they are not 100% functional with all ammo.

I hope everything works out for you.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 10:28:12 PM »
I disagree with Rifraff.

I think that the fact that it was out of spec potentially made it dangerous.  A slide must fully go into battery.

I would politely ask if you can have a new gun.  Plain and simple.  How did you pay?  Possibly your credit card company could take your back?  I always use my AMEX since they go out of their way to make things right for the customer.

Call them, explain and politely ask for a new R9.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards