Author Topic: An observation  (Read 6638 times)

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
An observation
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »
While I am new to the forum...let me first say I think the forum, the posts I have read, and the interaction I have had with a few members  have been great...I think the r9 is a great gun...I read the review yesterday on the forum and for the most part I thought it was a good review...I dont agree with all of his assessments especially about reliability...I believe the r9 can be and is a very reliable weapon with some caviots...first of all in my humble opinion this gun is for concealed personal protect...not a lot of fun to put a lot of rounds thru...After qualifiing with it I was worn out. I carry it as a backup and ultra concealed weapon when common sense or dress  dictates nothing larger....I have read about alot of the members trying different ammo...the jams and malfunctions...I wonder if some of the malfunctions are caused by limp wrists ,fatigue and last of all a worry of a malfunction...I was taught in swat many years ago pick ammo that works, stay with it , believe in the ammo your weapon and your ability...remove any and all doubts out of your mind because god forbid if you have to use it and you dont trust it , it may really malfunction because of your mistrust or fear of malfunction ...to save your life or someone elses the weapon has to be an extension of yourself...I hope none of the members ever have to experience a god forbid but trust me it happens real fast and if you think and dont react the party is over...carrying a weapon and having to draw and use it are two different things...I hope I dont offend the members of this great forum with my post but I guess I,ll take the chance if it helps save one of your lifes...charlie

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: An observation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »
Charlie,
You do not offend me in the least and the words you say are important. I have owned (2) R9s and stovepipes have been an issue.

I am a Certified Pistol Instructor, have trained with LEOs at local, state and federal levels and pride myself in being teachable; I never want to be a "know-it-all".

I LOVE the recoil from the R9 but hate the stovepipes.

The R9s I have owned have had stovepipe issues such that I carried the R9 much and shot it very little. My third R9 (Stealth) is on order. Ask yourself this question: why am I trying a third R9? Because I LOVE the gun despite my experiences.

This time around, however, I am determined to use only high test/recommended ammo which, in fairness to Rohrbaugh, I have failed to do in the past. Finding premium ammo is another story which, at present, is not easy.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »
Charlie.  Welcome to the Forum.  Your words are well taken!!   :)   :)

Ken
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
Charlie, seems like good commen sense thoughts to me. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
Charlie,  Welcome and Thanks.  ACP   3 times a charm.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
Dan: Thanks for your encouragement. The R9 has all the charm, whereas I have none.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 07:05:31 PM »
acp I thought you were right on with your comments...experience dictates except in the movies most serious gunfights take place within a very short distance...and usually are over one way or another in seconds...As Im sure you are aware ,after the first time you pull or use your weapon you are never the same person...I believe  its important to have good ammo that works...as you are aware this weapon due to it design and size is not ment to use swat loads...I found this gun works great with 115 grain...I wouldnt use anything more  potient...as I said in my previous post this gun is ment to save your life if all else fails...I actually dont like 9mm about 10 years ago a bad guy was shot (not by me) although I was there...by a deputy with a 9mm ...it took the guy 17 or 20 seconds to realize he was dead ...during that time he shot 2 additional people...very  bad situation...thats why my cal of choice is 45...I also saw a guy (drug dealer) a few years ago get shot with a .380 from about 25 yds away ...he had on several sweatshirts and a heavy leather jacket and the round never penetrated his body go figure that one...when I can I carry a kahr mp45 black with night sights 3.1 barrel, my wife can shoot it accurately and I shoot it with one hand...but I still carry my rohn r9 as a 3rd backup or  when concealment dictates one weapon...  

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:30:43 PM »
Clarman:

I can't tell you how valuable your contributions are to this forum. Most of us, like me, prepare for worst case scenario with a gun we cherish. (I concur with your .45 comments). However, you have been there and done that and bring authenticity to this forum for which I am grateful.

There are .380 fatalities just like there are people shot by .45 who survive. But, the numbers tend to accrue along the guidelines that your expert testimony suggests

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
thx Im certainly not serpico or whomever but over the last 30 yrs I had many experiences most Id like to forget but many with a happy outcome...police officers are generaly disliked by the public except when the public needs them...the things I did didnt require a uniform and I didnt have that much contact with the public but I saw what my friends went thru...for the most part many of us sit comfortable in our lives and have no idea how violent our society can be...

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
I think you are being modest and thank you for your service.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
clarman:

Thank you for your service in law enforcement and welcome to the Forum and the growing community of R9 owners.

I also am a strong believer in the .45 ACP cartridge and have been since a benevolent government issued me my first (well worn) 1911 nearly 50 years ago. As a grizzled old "Mustang" major with a battlefield commission in Korea once told me, "Son, you hit an enemy center mass with a .45, he's goin' down and he ain't gettin' up.!"

I put my name in the hopper for a Rohrbaugh .45 as soon as I learned the model was on Karl's and Eric's drawing board. In the meantime, my R9 rides in my right-front pocket -- and this usually rides IWB at my 4:00 o'clock during the day and is always by my bed with a tac light at night:

Stay safe!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:35:49 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »
Richard:
If an intruder enters your household do you blind them with the finish on your 1911 as a warning shot or do you just shoot them?

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »
I couldnt agree more with everyone...years ago I made a mistake and allowed myself to get shot with a small cal round .22 long rifle ammo from a walther tph...during a struggle the round entered almost point blank in the palm of my hand and exited thru the other side ...I felt a tremendus rush of energy and even though bleeding like a stuffed pig was able to grab the guy with my other hand...it didnt hurt it just pissed me off...afterwards at the hospital they blocked my arm and spent about 2 hrs saving my hand and fingers... the surgon was a friend of mine and we talked while he put me back together...he was a gun advocate and kept telling me how lucky I was that it was a small cal...he said if it had been a 45 I prob would have lost most or all of my hand...the real point is the small cal didnt stop me from doing what I had to do   ...just like shooting a bad guy with  a 380 or 9mm wont necessarily end a situation and then it may not end as quickly as you want it to...

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
Clarman:
I am glad that your experience was benign. I have never been shot and don't plan on it anytime soon. I was in the military and know the consequence of gunfire but that is different from actually being shot.
Was the perpetrator punished or am I now paying his mortgage?

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
punished...like I said in my earlier post sometimes things happen quickly...I got lucky I could have gotten killed...but the point is I never felt pain just a warm feeling (blood) a tremendous rush of energy...a big round would have gotten my attention to say the least...thats why I prefer a 45 big punch and less volacity...9mm is like the energizer bunny it just keeps going....to those of you who keep the gun in the bedroom dont use hollow points use a round that will flatten when it hits drywall and not go into another room where wifey or kids might be...In our bedroom I keep a f&n five seven...with non armour piercing ammo ...a great weapon with no recoil perfect for being woken from sleep to find someone in your house.....many years ago in school having to shoot a robust weapon when suffering from sleep depervation really affected your accuracy and got your attention...from experience coming out of a deep sleep youre  going to be much more accurate using a weapon with light recoil...thats why I wouldnt keep the r9 in the bedroom unless I had no other choice