Author Topic: An observation  (Read 6637 times)

Offline garymass

• Expert
Re: An observation
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Hello All

Nice to be back.

Just have a quick question charlie in regards to your last statement, by the way I'm glad your incident worked out the way it did. I thought the F&N is similar to using a rifle but not familiar with that gun, as for not using hollow point rounds in the house would they not tend to flatten out more then say a ball style round? I usually keep either my 38 or r9 at my head at night but would like to buy another gun for the house and blame you guys! ;D

Gary
Ret. P.D.

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »
the 5x7.5 round does look like a rifle shell...infact secret service use the rifle with suppessor among other weapons because of its small size and short barrel...the handgun and rifle are extremely accurate...several years ago our swat snippers rejected the rifle as they felt the round started to fall out of the air after about 150 yards...I disagreed but not my call...f&n actually developed these weapons for the military and law enforcement but they really caught on with the public...I owned a rifle without suppressor for a short time...we used to shoot it after training at the range...lots of fun and very quiet...of course we used amour piercing rounds which as you know the public cant buy...I do keep a full mag of amour p rounds near the 5x7 but Id never think of using those rounds in the house unless I had no other choice...I like your 38 choice I guess the best home protection weapon is short shotgun with hand grip but kind of hard to hide...wifey not crazy about shotgun next to bed...I keep one of those in closet nearby...as to my comment about ammo Im no expert but common sense tells me to use a round that stops after it hits something or someone my five seven uses a round with a teflon tip that not only flattens but goes back into the round on  impact...the five seven is becoming very popular with police around the country as backup gun and in rare instances as carry gun as you know uniformed officers carry what their dept dictates...swat,undercover , and tact have a little more leeway but everyone has to qualify with any weapon they carry...I would only consider using the r9 at very close range...Im not going to aim it Im going to pull it and shoot it as an extension of my arm...someone breaks into my house Im gonna have wifey and kids lock themselves in call 911....meanwhile Im gonna put on the extra vest I keep behind the headboard grab the fiveseven keep the lights off and go hunting until either I find the guy or help shows up...and if someone is in the house they better hope help shows up before I find them...go to gun shop and shoot a five seven no recoil great gun...only disadvantage is its size (not small)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 06:25:02 AM »
The FN Five Seven is a great round but the handgun makes the glock look pretty. I did own one, however, and sold it.

I still have the P90 bullpup carbine in semi auto.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 11:29:36 AM »
Charlie.  Good information!!   :)   :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
I understand your thoughts...but everyone who doesnt care about the larger frame size loves  the 19 round capacity and the no recoil aspect of this weapon...when I walk into gun stores I am seeing the owners and guys working there carrying this weapon on their side...frankly the capacity means nothing to me..if I cant get it done it 2-3 shots Im in trouble anyway...I still love the gun its fun to shoot and very accurate...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
Richard:
If an intruder enters your household do you blind them with the finish on your 1911 as a warning shot or do you just shoot them?

;D

Clark Custom Guns and Accurate Plating & Weaponry did give her a little "bling" factor, didn't they?

Actually, in the unfortunate event that an intruder enters my house, my routine will be much like that which "clarman" describes. As for the "blinding" part, I expect to rely on 225 lumens from a SureFire M3 CombatLight do that job as well as identify the threat and then let the LaserMax red dot find its spot. After that . . . well . . . whatever is required under the circumstances.

Over the years, I've had two attempted nighttime home invasions, both of which -- fortunately -- I was able to detect and stop with only a show of force before the perps even got inside. (That type of resolution certainly does cut down on the amount of after-action paperwork.   ;) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »
Sure did!!  Exceptional!!   :)    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »
another thought  with vertually no recoil shooting this weapon has no muzzle flip it sits in your hand quietly...I dont have real large hands and this gun is extremely comfortable to shoot...almost like shooting a rifle on a tripod...the fiveseven is double action with duel safetys...I shove it down the back of my pants when I take it out...for many years I carried my trusted 45 cocked and locked...but when I started carrying other weapons as backup the dept amourar(weapons expert and gunsmith) strongly recomended that we only carry one system...single action or double action action ect...train with it rely on it so it was second nature...we disagreed until one day the swat commander was playing with his new hk p7 squeezecocker when he accidently let pressure of the squeeze and the gun discharged an he had to replace his car windshield....good lession...the moral is what ever you guys use stay with the same system so if you need your weapon you dont make a mistake because you are using different systems...you need to be used to triggerpull ect...

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
As someone who had a career in manufacturing and production, I do marvel at the five seven from a technological standpoint. They have a patented system that fuses plastic with metal. And, the slide is metal formed instead of cnc machined from a billet.

The cartridge, capacity and accuracy of the five seven is conspicuously great. However, it is still a very ugly gun.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »
To borrow a line used by one of my old fraternity brothers trying to fix me up on a blind date with his sister back in college, ". . . but she has a great personality."   ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline clarman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »
I dont disagree but a great gun nontheless...it grows on you

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
One more time, my Brothers, great cartridge, great...oh never mind

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
I have always liked many different guns but only try and buy what I will carry and be similar to each other. I have my g-19 which was my service gun along with 38 SW back up, once I could buy other guns than I went with a Taurus PT-145 because it was compact 45 with similarities to the glock; and of course found the r-9s which is carried 50% the time splitting with the 38 airlight. I have always wanted a 1911 but since I won't carry it I don't see the purpose of having it. NY is a tuff state to carry and must be concealed. I like the idea of the FN and as a house gun does not look to bad and still able to be carried if so choose. Uh oh starting to get the itch to buy another gun.  ;D

G

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 04:46:51 PM »
I dont disagree but a great gun nontheless...it grows on you

clarman:

So did my fraternity brother's sister. It didn't last, but she did have a great personality -- as well as some other desirable . . . attributes.   ;D

Seriously, though, that FN is one fine weapon -- and I have a soft spot for FNs.  Although it is now a "safe queen," this FN Browning 1922 bearing stamps showing that it was issued to the German Luftwaffe in WWII is one of my prized possessions:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »
Until reading this thread I was unaware of the FN Five Seven. I have done some research, watched some U-Tube videos, and I find that I WANT ONE!!!!!!

Rick