Author Topic: An observation  (Read 6638 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: An observation
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »
Go for it, Rick. As far as we know, we each have only one trip on this third rock from the sun.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »
No seller's remorse. Gun performed well and I moved on.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 11:28:37 PM »
Go for it, Rick. As far as we know, we each have only one trip on this third rock from the sun.  8)

Yes, and I have only one wife this past 35 years who, like a lot of people these days, is on a frugality kick. Just a few weeks ago I purchased a new revolver, an S&W Performance Center Model 627. The double action trigger is smooth and light. The single action trigger gives new meaning to the instruction to not put your finger on the trigger til your ready to fire. I love it. Now I have to find a way to justify another purchase. It will not be easy.

Rick

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »

clarman:

So did my fraternity brother's sister. It didn't last, but she did have a great personality -- as well as some other desirable . . . attributes.   ;D

Seriously, though, that FN is one fine weapon -- and I have a soft spot for FNs.  Although it is now a "safe queen," this FN Browning 1922 bearing stamps showing that it was issued to the German Luftwaffe in WWII is one of my prized possessions:

Richard!  I have a Browning 1922 .32 like yours only mine is in blue.  I was wondering if this has a good value, not that I would sell it, but just wondering.

And Charlie!  The FiveSeven, I, too, had never heard of it until this thread.  I am definitely interested.  I'm going searching.  Thanks to all for their input on this weapon.  Found the ammo on Sportsmans's Guide for $20.30 Club price, Hornady 40 gr. current production, SS197SR, muzzle velocity, 2,034 fps, muzzle energy, 367 ft.-lbs. 50 per box.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:25:14 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 06:56:42 PM »
Standard Catalog of Military Firearms suggests value of 1922 Browning at $450.00. Richard's gun would be substantially higher due to provenance.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »
Thanks ACP!!  I inherited the Browning and its just been a drawer.   :)   :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »
There is a saying in the antique/collector's world; "you can't sell sentiment". However, heirlooms are what you keep.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 10:35:24 AM »
kjtrains:

ACP's post reflects my own understanding of current market value for the M1922 pistols. Thousands of them had been produced for the civilian and international market prior to the Nazi invasion of Belgium. After the Nazis occupied Belgium, the M1922 was produced in larger numbers than any other firearm at the FN plant, with much of that production being issued to the Luftwaffe. Most of the M1922 pistols were blued, but a limited number were given a nickel plating such as that one of mine. Following the war, FN resumed production of the M1922, and the pistol was used by various West German police agencies and various agencies of the French government.

As you will have undoubtedly experienced for yourself, the M1922 is easily broken down for cleaning but can be a real "monkey puzzle" to reassemble. Mine was presented to me as a gift by my brother-in-law, who obtained it from the estate of a man who had brought it home from WWII. When he gave it to me, we were sitting at his kitchen table drinking coffee and "swapping lies." I had never held a Model 1922 before, but since I knew it had been designed by John Browning and I had learned in the Army to field strip and reassemble a 1911 in a matter of minutes, I figured that I would show off a little by field stripping the 1922 right there on the kitchen table.

Well . . . the pistol came apart easily enough, but I hadn't figured on that striker mechanism and the firing pin sitting there in its toggle ready to launch.  My brother-in-law just sat there with a smile on his face as he watched me "eating humble pie." I finally got the piece back together again, but not before once having to go hunting for the firing pin spring across the room on the kitchen floor.

If you haven't seen this before, here is a link to the web site review when the M1922 was Cruffler's gun of the month:

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-may01.html
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »
Richard!

Thanks for the article!  I haven't seen that before.  

I, too, had the same experience with everything flying apart.  I turned the nose of the barrel and everything went.  I picked up the pieces, started trying to put them back together and couldn't get the barrel to lock into place.

I finally took all the pieces, sat down in front of the TV, and just kept trying.  I thought, after a long time, there must be a slot in the frame for the collar in the barrel to rotate into.  Sure enough, there it was.  Everything went back together perfectly.  Thanks again!!   :)    :)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »
kjtrains:

Here's another link -- just in case you lose a spring in the carpet one day.   ;)

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0630z1922
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 11:01:34 PM »
Hey Richard!  I somehow missed your last post on this thread.  I did lose the slide extension catch.  Didn't know what I was going to do about that.

This "Gun Parts" Article will do the job!  Many thanks!!   :)   :)

Ken