Author Topic: Rohrbaugh v Seecamp, MA Compliant, #s made,etc.  (Read 8669 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: Rohrbaugh v Seecamp, MA Compliant, #s made,etc
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »
Concur with my stupidity as to not checking laws prior to my move. The small town to which I moved was less than a quarter mile from Vermont border and was strategically located to where my brother lives in Vermont.

What's worse is my FFL in NJ knew where I was moving to and was not aware that NYC laws had reared its head in NYS. Thank you schumer.

In order to get my handguns legally moved from NJ I had them shipped to my brother. My brother, an MD, had never fired a gun in his life but could legally go through background check and own them because he was a citizen of Vermont.

With all my credentials and quadruple background check, (from a state neighboring NYS), I was disallowed from handgun ownership in the manner described above. Since moving to Vermont I have obtained multiple non-resident permits and I swear that I will NEVER AGAIN surrender my right to carry legally.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »
here here  it's always better when you have a choice  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 01:14:38 PM »
I will never forget phoning my FFL friend in NJ when I left the sheriff's office in NYS, after having learned that I could not legally own a handgun in New York State.

My FFL friend had a family summer home, on the Vermont side of the NY border, near which I had moved. The lake was created from the same aquifers that fed Lake George and Lake Champlain. He, too, was shocked when I told him what had happened.

For those of you who hail from a gun friendly state and who will never be confronted by the horror of NJ and NY gun laws, count your blessings.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike_OTDP

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
Back to the OP....

The Rohrbaugh is significantly larger than the Seecamp.  It's a pants pocket gun, not a vest pocket gun.  That extra inch in length and height makes a difference.  On the other hand, the Rohrbaugh IS a true pocket gun.  It'll do the deep concealment job.

The Rohrbaugh has a LOT more recoil than the Seecamp.  An LWS-32 is not terribly hard to do a double-tap with, while the R9 is a handful.  Not extremely painful to shoot, just a lot of muzzle climb.  It's a gun you practice with LAST, and for very few rounds of ammo - because a long range session is likely to build a flinch that will take months to eradicate.

On the other hand, the Seecamp has a fair trigger...that of the Rohrbaugh is outstanding.  Comparable to a good S&W revolver.

I like them both.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
My referance to NY not being as Gun friendly as NC are based on the pain in the a** method of buying a pistol, go to the permit dept. get a purchase coupon make your purchase go back to the permit dept and register it, and thy are all listed on the back of the permit. In the county I was from (Erie) you could only get one purchase coupon at a time, and even with a permit they usually would only allow you to carry for hunting and target shooting. And without a pistol permit you can not even buy a pistol in NY. Here in NC to purchase a pistol you only need a drivers lic. and a purchase permit, and can get up to four a day, to carry you need a CCW and with it can purchase a pistol or several by showing the CCW and filling out the forms, pay and go shoot. Total cost for a CCW here is about $140 including your course, it cost more than that in NY 20+ years ago, and I don't think it has gotten cheaper.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
NJ is similar to NY. However, now that I am a proud Vermonter, what is a purchase permit?

Offline hdjeff

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »
One of the problems with NY is how different counties within the state operate. There is not much consistency. In my county (Saratoga), it costs about $165 for a new CCW. (my wife just got hers). You have to purchase a handgun, fill out an amendment form with the local Sheriff's dept., wait about a week for your purchase stub, then go pick up your new handgun. They are all restricted now to hunting and target, but that is not enforced. There did not used to be any restrictions back when I got mine(1976).
Upon retirement(about 5 years), I too am looking at NC or West Virginia.
I can get a lot more scooter riding in!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
That is not just a problem; that is an individual stranglehold fiefdom. It sounds like every county law enforcement official tightens their own rope. I can't imagine living under those restrictive conditions.  

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
why put up with any kind of purchase permit ???why should any government-control what is bought and sold? >:(  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
Are we becoming the U.S.S.A?

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »
mr. obama has invited us to measure him by the company he keeps. How many czars are there now? Is it 30 or 40? And, are the majority of them not in love with the soviet model of government?

I lived in Washington County, NY (for 9 1/2 months) before I killed my lease and moved to Vermont. The point made above as to the discretionary behavior of the sheriff is true.

I don't know if the (defacto) 5 year waiting period was the sheriff's doing or the state of new york. Again, I was told I would have to wait one year to apply for a handgun permit and be required to furnish 5 new york citizens who could testify to my character over a 5 year period.

Remedy: The day I obtained my valid Vermont driver's license, I could buy a handgun and legally carry it.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »
Back to the OP....

The Rohrbaugh is significantly larger than the Seecamp.  It's a pants pocket gun, not a vest pocket gun.  That extra inch in length and height makes a difference.  On the other hand, the Rohrbaugh IS a true pocket gun.  It'll do the deep concealment job.

The Rohrbaugh has a LOT more recoil than the Seecamp.  An LWS-32 is not terribly hard to do a double-tap with, while the R9 is a handful.  Not extremely painful to shoot, just a lot of muzzle climb.  It's a gun you practice with LAST, and for very few rounds of ammo - because a long range session is likely to build a flinch that will take months to eradicate.

On the other hand, the Seecamp has a fair trigger...that of the Rohrbaugh is outstanding.  Comparable to a good S&W revolver.

I like them both.

I agree with most said , but respectfully disagree about the part about long range sessions  building a flinch that will take month's to eradicate.

I'm no John Wayne.  Years of shooting 44mag and high volume 45acp gave me serious nerve damage and carple tunnel- both hands, elbows, shoulders.

But I believe proper range training can PREVENT flinching  with the R9.  It's called CONCENTRATION.
Come on now, it's only a 9, and I am recoil sensitive now, and I have no problems whatsoever, even with double taps.

I am not a big man, average size -  5-10/190, medium sized hands.

Recoil is not a problem with the R9, in fact, I see no problems with the R9.

Cheers

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline captalny

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 11:37:36 AM »

I had a feeling that the shooter on the L.I.R.R. with the Glock tipped the balance forever against guns in NYC and the boroughs.

The handgun used was a Ruger P85...............

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »
Thanks for that correction; I have since read that it was a P89. The shooting at Luby's cafeteria involved a P89 and a Glock.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »
 I Live in Florida. Years ago getting a concealed carry license was more difficult here.  Crime rate climbed. They lowered the difficulty in getting a CCW and crime rate dropped. Go Figure!  Since I am retired military I was not required to go through the trining process, only to supply , forms, fingerprints, and passport photo. (Plus $75.00 of Course)
  If you are not military or former law enforcement the training consists of 2-3 hours of classroom instruction on laws and advice. And the License is recognized by 24 other states. My wife has hers as well. (She carries a S&W 642)
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"