Author Topic: Disturbing incident pertaining to CCW  (Read 15871 times)

Offline DuggaBoye

Re: Disturbing incident pertaining to CCW
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 12:48:19 AM »
At this time,
In this situation--

S to the 3rd

Shoot
Shovel
Shut-up

Not to be flippant ,
but it's a done deal,
nothing to be gained by digging up the past,
in this case--literally

I might not have done the Shovel asect--
But-- it's done now

Leave it --Done

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »
He shot some wild dogs on his own land - its a normal part of properly husbanding his land, animals, the local environment, and his family.  

Admittedly, I grew up in rural TX, but I don't see any reason to contact the police - nor do I see why he thinks what he did was wrong.  

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
He shot some wild dogs on his own land - its a normal part of properly husbanding his land, animals, the local environment, and his family.  

Admittedly, I grew up in rural TX, but I don't see any reason to contact the police - nor do I see why he thinks what he did was wrong.  

While I agree in principal with what you say...I understand that all of us approach things somewhat differently.  This situation is similar in some respects to what happens to a small percentage of those that Uncle Sam trains and sends off to foreign countries to wage war.  Young people who have been taught all their life that to take a life is a sin in the judeo-christian ethic, and then are faced with having to do it and see the effects can be profoundly changed and a small number suffer the mental effects, hence PTSD.   It has also happened to LEO's who have had to take a life and never could lift their own feelings of guilt from their shoulders.  Sometimes it takes years for these things to fester and then suddenly make their appearance in weird and mysterious ways.   We are not all the same in our education and experience and some of us are more sensitive than others and suffer guilt in different ways.    After years on the road as a LEO and supervisor I'm pretty well hardened to the blood and gore that one sees fairly routinely.   Young children always bothered me while adults never did.    But I can see where animals might bother those who treat their pets as bonifide members of their family.    

This poor guy did everything he should have done and he did it right.   But in all the time he trained to carry and went through the process, he never worked out in his mind the necessary thoughts on how to deal with the end result of having to actually use the weapon.   Most people who carry do it as an insurance policy.  But like people who drive and find themselves in catastrophic automobile accidents...or people who are without warning diagnosed with life threatening deseases,  they are suddenly comfronted with the problems associated with the act that they truly always thought,  would never happen to them.    While most of us can handle it in stride, without remorse, others are ill equipped to deal with it.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »
fg, well put and very true. It's not always can you do it but can you handle it after you do it.
  He clearly had no alternative for his and his Daughters well being but it's not like shooting a paper target or a tin can.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DiamondD

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
Flints ghost that was a great post!

To the OP I would advise your friend to go get some GOOD fight training.  Didn't say firearms training, obviously he did very well with his pistol hitting all 3 charging dogs to protect his daughter.

Sounds to me though, that he needs to train with some people that will prepare him not only physically but especially mentally for the realities of the fight.

IMO your friend did what he was supposed to do.  HE, on the other hand considers it murder?  If he feels that way after lighting up a pack of wild dogs what will he say when he has to defend his daughter against a pack of human predators.  Will he be able to pull the trigger even? And if so, will his interactions with the police afterwards ensure she only sees her dad through plexiglass the rest of his life?

bamboobob

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
I noticed 2 guests looking here.
This deserves a bump  (IMO)
May ad my own story later.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
So what ever did he decide to do anyway?

Good read. Just want to know the rest of the story fellow Americans.

Did he keep quite and everything is AOK?

I have been in a pickle similar before and though I didn't have to brandish a weapon you wonder "wow if I keep my mouth shut and someone else finds me out I look like I'm trying to hide something and it results in looking worse than not being up front. And if I say something when no one is asking, I may invite criticism or worse".

It's a catch 22 and not a good place.

Here in central Indiana where we are predominantly R and gun friendly I know of my father in laws Sunday AM bible teacher that shot a dog attacking his own dog on his own land. He handily shot the very expensive critter and then was sued and LOST the suit. I do not know any more details of the story and I must admit it all sounds fishy, but that is reportedly the story of a close second hand acquaintance. Perhaps he needed better representation.

As for the Christian man feeling as if he had sinned for committing murder... I personally found that to be an interesting opinion. Most Christians that I know (I happen to know a lot of em) don't view killing an animal or human who is jeopardizing the safety of an innocent as murder.

Most of my friends understand a better translation of "thou shalt not kill" to be "thou shalt not commit murder". A big difference.

Furthermore, an animal isn't even remotely in the sphere of what is being alluded to when the bible says thou shalt not kill. All of the Jews and New Testament believers were meat eaters with very few exceptions. Furthermore remember the animal sacrifices the OT Jews made? Remember Joshua and the battle of Jericho? David and Goliath? There is a difference between killing and murder : )

Further furthermore, why would a Christian who thought it was wrong to kill something or someone to defend his most beloved and cherished thing on the earth carry a handgun and be trained so well that he passed a pretty wild test as this? Being able to shoot one dog running at me would challenge my skills, let alone 3!! Surely he must have considered the possibility of having to use the weapon he was well trained to use one of the times he was training.  I propose he doesn't think it's morally wrong as much as he is wrestling with the legality of it all. And he was shaken up at the time.

I hope I could pass such a test if ever called on to defend what is precious in this old, bent and twisted world we live in. I hope even more I don't have to, but since I won't know I guess I will try to always be ready. 

Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition : )

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:25:52 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
I agree with everyone one this post.  "Let sleeping dogs lie."
Focus on the impact it may/may not have on your daughter and make sure she's okay with
what happened.  You have a CCW for a reason and not all threats are human.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »
Great point Buffalo. Why else carry?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

bamboobob

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
Early last year, after walking home (along boarder of Detroit) I was cleaning snow (at night ) with big scoop.
A large, very aggressive dog came at me 4 times ( 2 times very close and by surprise, 3 times on my own property ).  I pulled Karl Jr. (my pup, from pocket) and kept it pointed down while dancing behind the scoop.

I did not call cops!!!     
 The owner (100 yds. away ) may be, an a** hole like dog ( previously and since, loose and aggressive ), friend of the cops or city, cause future problems with me, my 10 lb dog or home ( especially if something later happens to this piece of **** dog ) 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:18:09 PM by bamboobob »

bamboobob

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
One must always worry / consider the possibility of   "UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCES"

A couple of friends ( women ) said report it.
All others said no.    One friend, a lawyer who once worked with the prominent local Lawyer of Italian American Businessmen said " You don't call the cops you call your Uncle or your Nephew" LOL!

Richard-     as usual right on
                                                   on the nose dialogue     short and sweet
PS  How is your Wife?

Dogs? What dogs?

Josh-
Semi quote-   " He handily shot the very expensive critter and then was sued and LOST the suit"

I am a Dog lover / owner             but      legally dogs are property.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:19:06 PM by bamboobob »