Author Topic: New Member Question  (Read 2226 times)

Offline wahoowillie

New Member Question
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »
Greetings,

I just bought a new R9 (SN1200) on Gunbroker, and when it arrived was surprised to see that it has sights. I thought only the R9s model has sights. I would appreciate any light that someone might shine on the subject.

Thanks,
Bill
AKA
wahoowillie

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: New Member Question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »
According to my understanding, the original use of "R9s" and "R9" intended to differentiate between pistols with and without sights was dropped due to a request from BATFE, which wanted both types of pistol to bear the official designation, "R9".

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
According to the website the models are still referred to as the R9 and R9s

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

"This handgun is available without (R9) or with (R9s) sights."

As Richard said the actual markings on the pistol will only be R9 for the more recently produced firearms.

It would be up to the seller to properly title the auction and properly the describe the firearm for sale.  I did find the auction and from the photo is clearly has sights.  Of course hindsight is 20/20, right, now that you know what to look for.

I also noticed in the one photo is the Rohrbaugh literature which has R9 and R9S on it...

Welcome to the forum Bill.  While you may be disappointed in that it wasn't what you expected, I don't think you will find the sights a nuisance or hindrance to carrying and/or presenting the firearm.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:04:39 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:35:29 PM »

Pistols with sights just look better to me. In this case the sights are small but well proportioned and aesthetically pleasing on an R9.

Offline wahoowillie

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I expected no sights because of seller's R9 description, but am tickled pink to have the sights!