Author Topic: has anybody darkened your hammer and mag release  (Read 3152 times)

Offline washy271

has anybody darkened your hammer and mag release
« on: December 26, 2013, 02:40:37 AM »
Hey all,
new owner and new forum member, first post!

I purchased a recluse rear pocket holster, and have noticed that it prints fine, but if anybody is standing behind me they could catch the flash of metal in my rear pocket from the hammer and mag release.  Has anybody used permanent ink (would not be all that permanent) or anything else to darken up these areas?

For those interested in my own first impressions.....
1.  Easy to carry back pocket.  If you are fit and not wearing baggy pants it seems like front pocket would be a little to awkward.  I can carry it in the recluse front pocket and it is comfortable, just too large for looking normal.  Strangers would say nothing......not think much of it.......friends would say WTF kind of giant smartphone is that?  Easy to jacket carry.  I think IWB will be easy (still waiting for my crossbreed minituck and belt).  Cargo pants easy to carry, would look fine, but would be a little heavy and swing around while walking.
2.  Worked almost flawlessly on first range visit.  I had one FTE out of 50 rounds (without any takedown or cleaning) using WWB.  The round that had a FTE was on the top of the magazine and felt really strange going into the mag, kept sliding forward on its own, almost didn't use it, think it was a little "off".
3.  Slight PIA to takedown compared to Glock, but not bad, just need a strong grip and a punch.
4.  Pretty big PIA to put back together.  Had to websearch to figure out a couple weird spots, there are some tools that make it easier.
5.  I can shoot it well close range with stock grips and mag, no need for extensions for me (6'3" large hands).  Firm trigger hand on grip helps.  Havnt tried long range and wouldn't use it in a scenario where I can run away.
6.  If it works well with defensive ammo (still waiting for this, trying federal HST 124), this will be a pleasure to own.  I trust the caliber and my ability to carry and shoot it.  I simply wouldn't carry something larger.  Just wish it came with a couple simple tools that would help takedown and reassembly and better instructions.  An official trusted ammo list would also be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Griff

• Expert
Re: has anybody darkened your hammer and mag release
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum Chris.

I had some of the same concerns with the printing issues as well as the shiny flash.

I switched from a NAA mini revolver front pocket carry to the Rohrbaugh.
I was at first self conscience of the big bulge, but have since decided that no one is paying that much attention.

I am 6'4" and a skinny 230 pounds, and my R9 shows the same from directly behind in most of my pants.
I have worked this over for quite a while, and have decided that for me the best compromise is to go with front pocket carry.  I also believe that front pocket carry is superior for retention, as well as presentation efficiency.

Congratulations on your choice of the finest pistol in the market, and I think you will find some of the friendliest and most supportive people within this group.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »
You're pretty euphemistic saying the R9 is a slight PIA to take apart compared to a Glock.

I love my R9 but it is not easy to take apart or put back together, although I admit that after having done it a few times I am getting the hang of it.

I personally don't practice with the cheap 115gr ammo out there.

I load my R9 with 147gr Winchester Ranger "T" Series and I practice with Speer 147gr Lawman TMJs.

I can shoot the R9 with the factory grips, I thought I might have to go buy the VZ grips but I haven't.  I may buy them someday anyway, but I'm able to control the R9 without them.  But I workout my hands and forearms 3 or 4 times a week, been doing it since 2011 and I think that has helped me a lot with the little R9.

There is a guy on YouTube starting a series of 9mm ammo tests out of a 3" barrel and I'm interested in that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7votVplXtZM

He is melodramatic and tends to ramble, but I think the test results are worth watching.  He's only done a few cartridges so far, Hornady, which I wouldn't use in my R9 anyway, but I'm curious how the Federal HST and Winchester offerings will do.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »
I carry OWB or front pocket, mostly pocket.  Having invested in some fancy leather, I find that I prefer the inexpensive DeSantis Superfly...the velcro outer shield is useful for rear pocket carry or for a loose front pocket, but can be removed for a smaller front pocket and can be used for right or left side.  It is sticky in the pocket and has decent retention.  Using one of the available takedown tools offered by forum members makes TD and reassembly a snap.  IMO the VZ grips offer a significant grip improvement.  I do like the mag extensions but they are not entirely necessary to me.

An "official trusted ammo list" would be difficult due to several factors:
1.  Ammo makers have such consistency issues that it would be difficult from one month to another to advise.  This forum has good threads on what seems to work for various owners however.
2.  Each pup seems to have its own preferences and should be fed what it likes.
3.  Best advice:  Shoot 13 rounds from the box of choice; if all fire without issue, carry the other 7 rounds.  My pup likes Speer Gold Dots and golden sabres.  It has done well with PMC JHP but I don't yet have enough confidence in the PMC to use it for carry.  WWB and Lawman seem to work for practice for me.

You have invested in the absolute best 9mm carry pistol available.  Keep it clean, tighten the grip screws every time it has been to the range, feed it what it likes, grip it with a firm wrist and carry with confidence! 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »
Hey all,
new owner and new forum member, first post!

. . . f anybody is standing behind me they could catch the flash of metal in my rear pocket from the hammer and mag release.  Has anybody used permanent ink (would not be all that permanent) or anything else to darken up these areas?

First of all, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your acquisition of what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol ever designed and manufactured.

Second, while I carry my R9 in the right-front pocket, I never worry about that "flash of metal" being seen by anyone standing behind me.  I simply have the right-front pocket of each pair of trousers I purchase deepened by a tailor to prevent any such occurrence.

Good luck, and stay safe.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline guns and more

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
Most people are oblivious to others. They don't even see YOU, let alone your gun.
Police, on the other hand, notice body movements favoring guns.
The way you feel it's still there, or swing your arm.
As long as you're legal, I wouldn't worry.