Author Topic: I was all set to get a R9, but now. . . .  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Vincent

I was all set to get a R9, but now. . . .
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »
I guess it wouldn't make sense now. As much as I'd love to own one, it just seems too risky now. Warranty work not available and parts would be difficult to get.
Am I wrong for thinking this way? If I found one for sale at this point, would it make sense to buy it?
Appreciate your opinions.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I was all set to get a R9, but now. . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:26:57 PM »
Well I think it makes sense to pick up a collectable pistol that is no longer being made while the prices are still fair.

There is a nice stealth for sale reasonably priced on guns international if you are serious.

http://gunsinternational.com/Rohrbaugh-Pistols.cfm?cat_id=1420

$900

I have bought 2 recently.

There is warranty service up and running at Williams gun sights and they have taken good care of me.

They have a slew of parts from the Rohrbaugh factory shut down.

Once you prove it is reliable (should be done with any carry piece) don't just run the snot out of it it should last a long, long time.

Nothing else in its class IMO. Nothing.

Have fun weighing your decision Vincent. Let us know what you decide please. Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:28:50 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Vincent

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:34:54 AM »
Thanks Josh. The Rohrbaugh on that link must have sold as it is no longer there.  I have a couple of local dealers that I will check out this weekend.
Would springs be readily available? From what I have read, that would be the only "consumable" part that might occasionally need replacing. My only concern is if I do buy one and it does not run reliably I'd have to depend on a gun smith who may have never seen one. Still on the fence but could easily be pushed if I find one at the right price.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »
Lol. I guess $900 is too cheap for a stealth at this point in time. That went FAST! It no sooner made it up and it was GONE : )

Sounds like you have been turned on to some older misinformation. Sorry about that.

You have made it to the right place for solid info now though  :D

If you would like it from the horses mouth here ya go:

Williams gun sights

(800) 530-9028

They have springs and a host of other things except for barrels and frames to do all said warranty work.

They have already serviced 2 of mine under warranty at no cost (THANKS AGAIN for the great job Williams/Remington)

Ask for Alex. He will tell you what they have. They are very knowledgeable and professional.

Here are a few more to look at:

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Rohrbaugh

Once you get all of this straightened out for your self please let your buds around the boards know too, so everybody gets the real deal please Vincent.

Good luck on your venture sir!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Vincent

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
Thanks for all the good information. I think if I can find one in a local shop I'll pick it up. I'd love to own one and learn more on this forum and share experiences. Maybe this weekend I can go hunt.  :)
Two shops in my area might have one.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »
These pistols from the Rohrbaugh brothers were basically handmade, had very tight tolerances and in consequence are picky about the ammo used (see various threads on this forum for current recommendations).  They need to be kept clean, lubricated, and should not be abused as recommended by JoshA whose advice is right on.  Cool the pistol between mags, break it in, and then carry the single smallest, most comfortable and best 9mm pistol ever made.  Wolf springs are easily available.  The prices are rising on these handguns rapidly...I don't think you can go wrong buying one.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Vincent

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »
Unfortunately the Rohrbaugh R9's are nowhere to be found. My main objective was to get a small, thin easy to carry pocket pistol that could comfortably fit in my pocket on a daily basis. I would have preferred a 9mm, but other than the Rohrbough nothing else foot the bill. So I had to compromise and go to 380. In that category the Ruger LCP is the right size. I know there is no comparison in terms of stopping power, quality, fit and finish. The Ruger is a decent gun, reliable and easy to maintain so I went with that. It won't be my last gun and maybe someday the R9 will be available again and if the quality stays the same I can get one. Thank you all for your help and advice and best of luck with your prized possession. Yes, I'm jealous.  ;)
Shot safe,
Vincent

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »
Unfortunately the Rohrbaugh R9's are nowhere to be found. My main objective was to get a small, thin easy to carry pocket pistol that could comfortably fit in my pocket on a daily basis. I would have preferred a 9mm, but other than the Rohrbough nothing else foot the bill. So I had to compromise and go to 380. In that category the Ruger LCP is the right size. I know there is no comparison in terms of stopping power, quality, fit and finish. The Ruger is a decent gun, reliable and easy to maintain so I went with that. It won't be my last gun and maybe someday the R9 will be available again and if the quality stays the same I can get one. Thank you all for your help and advice and best of luck with your prized possession. Yes, I'm jealous.  ;)
Shot safe,
Vincent

Congrats on your new purchase Vincent. A lot of people on the board have owned or do own a Ruger or similar pistol. There is nothing wrong with the role such a pistol fills.

Unfortunately (Or fortunately) for you the seed of knowledge of a Rohrbaugh has been planted. If you can't shake the urge to consider such a purchase don't worry about it. There will be one to be had.

If not, that's cool too. They aren't for everybody.

Enjoy your new Ruger sir!

John Stuart Mill

Offline Vincent

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
Unfortunately (Or fortunately) for you the seed of knowledge of a Rohrbaugh has been planted.[/Quote]

Haha. That's what I'm afraid of. If the right one comes along, that bug might bite.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:09:24 PM by Vincent »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 04:48:07 PM »
Unfortunately (Or fortunately) for you the seed of knowledge of a Rohrbaugh has been planted.

Haha. That's what I'm afraid of. If the right one comes along, that bug might bite.  ;)
[/quote]

Hahah. Hope to see you back one day with a nice R9 in the pocket. Take care and feel free to visit regularly... If you dare
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:31:34 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
Vincent:

Welcome to the Forum.

My advice -- grab yourself a Rohrbaugh the first chance you get, buy a quality holster for it, run a few Gold Dots (115 or 124 gr.) through it to gain familiarity, and then carry the little jewel as a part of your EDC.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"