Author Topic: New potential Rohrbaugh owner - question on S/N & production runs  (Read 8388 times)

Offline Volvofan

Greetings, all!

I am a long-time gun operator, and have owned a couple pistols for over a decade, though neither are particularly suited for concealed carry (both are full frame .45 ACPs).  Now starting to look for something I can carry nearly everywhere... won't bother "preaching to the converted" on this forum about why I think the Rohrbaugh might be a good choice for that.  Just got the wife a Ruger LCR in 9mm, which sweetens the deal due to ammo commonality.  I'm eyeing a gun for sale near me with a serial number in the R5000+ range.  Black on black with two sets of grips (no CF, unfortunately), two mags, case, manual, and sights. 

1)  What is market price if it is in very good condition cosmetically and mechanically (<100 rounds through it)? 
2)  Anything I should be looking out for regarding that production serial number (i.e. known problems for particular S/N ranges)?
3)  How many Rohrbaughs were made in total (ballpark?) 

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Jon 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:07:50 PM by Volvofan »

Offline johnny

• Master
Re: New potential Rohrbaugh owner - question on S/N & production runs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »
  Hi,
 Welcome.My R9's serial number is in the 5200 range.I have had no issues and if I recall,I don't think the guns in that number range had problems.I could be wrong thou.I don't recall ever reading anything here on the forum to that effect.
             Other members may chime in with more info.

Offline Volvofan

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Johnny!  I'll stay tuned to see if others have any feedback.

Also, found my answer to question #3 in the "How many Pups are out there?" thread.

-Jon

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »
  I'm guessing around 8 to 9 thousand.Am I close?

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
 I can tell you this much about carrying the Rohrbaugh.
     I have 3 holsters for it.Two DeSantis outside the waist and a Crossbreed inside and with that on you don't even know you're wearing it.it is even more comfortable than with my Glock 43 in the same kind of holster.

Offline Volvofan

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »
Any good wallet / pocket holsters for it?

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »
Any good wallet / pocket holsters for it?
Matt del fatti,bearcreek holsters,Johnston leathers...

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »
According to Duane:

"For those keeping track, the last frame made in Deer Park was serial number R6678."
"Also, the last .380 frame made in Deer Park, NY is: K391.    :)"

So they made 47 early R9s with no R prefix: #101 through #147.

Approximately 15 early R9s with custom serial numbers.

They made R100 through R6678: so 6578 total R prefix serial number guns.

Total 9mm: approximately 6640 guns
Total .380: 291 guns."

ECR - please correct if incorrect

Offline Volvofan

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
Thanks, Wildman!  Yes, that was the post I found too. 

How about question #1 (arguably the most important)?  Going rate for a "nothin' special" but good condition light used relatively late production R9s? 

-Jon

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02:59 PM »
950 to 1200 depends on stealth and paperwork box ect.    Anything less than 900 would be a deal

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »
For a practically new stealth anything less than $975 would be a steal.  Some go for $1100.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:38:52 AM »
Welcome Volvofan: I use GB advance search for completed items to get a idea of what is selling at what price. Very good tool.

Offline Volvofan

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 05:59:44 PM »
Well, time will tell regarding the gun's actual condition, but I'll know for sure in a couple weeks... when it arrives at my local FFL!  Sealed the deal this afternoon and got what I am confident is an excellent deal.  Thanks for all the advice, folks... Looking forward to being a satisfied owner/operator for years to come.

I've got a set of black 320 VZgrips on the way as well as some Traction Grip material.  Will probably apply a dot of red model enamel to the front sight and possibly some flat black to the bottom of the mags and to the mag catch... No plans for any irreversible mods, though.

Unless someone figures a way to attach a laser...  :)

-Jon

P.S.-  for those who name their firearms... is "Robby" too common?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »
Hello Rob,

Well. . . . It seems most of your questions were answered straight away. The only thing I would suggest is do not use a laser on the R9. . . . It's simply not necessary, IMHO anyway.

Good Luck in your search for a clean R9. . . . . You will love it!

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 11:12:09 PM »
Advice from a long time R9 carrier...I have a bunch of fancy leather holsters, IWB, OWB, including Del Fatti beauties, but my daily carry holster is a DeSantis  Superfly G2.  It is light, sticky (the pistol comes out but the holster stays in the pocket), not too tight and not too loose.  Costs almost nothing and comes with a velcro pad that can be placed on either side and makes it a great ambidextrous back or front pocket holster.  I use the pad front pocket to obscure the print when wearing chinos and other loose slacks as well but take the pad off for jeans or tighter pockets. 

You can't go wrong with a clean, tested, proven R9 loaded with ammo that it prefers.  Like many women I have known, these little pistols can be picky about what you offer them, so be sure your ammo is the  one that particular pistol likes.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis