Author Topic: New potential Rohrbaugh owner - question on S/N & production runs  (Read 8387 times)

Offline Volvofan

Re: New potential Rohrbaugh owner - question on S/N & production runs
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 10:52:29 AM »
Awesome advice, Backupr9!  I'll absolutely check that holster out.  I have a couple boxes of Speer gold dot 124 grain JHP on the way... Seems to be almost universally recommended as Robby's best/only food choice.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
Well done Volvofan!  Note that Speer Lawman (FMJ) was developed to shoot like the Gold Dot but is much less expensive.  I often use it for practice, then break a box of Gold Dot, shoot 13 and, if all fire correctly, load and carry the other 7.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline jetboater

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
And on that front sight, try fingernail polish instead of model enamel.

I've tried both and the fingernail polish seems to hold up better for me and its easy to reapply when needed.

Its available in a whole bunch of colors too---I used an orange/red color

Offline Volvofan

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
And on that front sight, try fingernail polish instead of model enamel.

I've tried both and the fingernail polish seems to hold up better for me and its easy to reapply when needed.

Its available in a whole bunch of colors too---I used an orange/red color

I have a wife and pre-teen daughter... definitely have an unlimited supply of that stuff around the house!

Thx for the tip!

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
Greetings, all!

I am a long-time gun operator, and have owned a couple pistols for over a decade, though neither are particularly suited for concealed carry (both are full frame .45 ACPs).  Now starting to look for something I can carry nearly everywhere... won't bother "preaching to the converted" on this forum about why I think the Rohrbaugh might be a good choice for that.  Just got the wife a Ruger LCR in 9mm, which sweetens the deal due to ammo commonality.  I'm eyeing a gun for sale near me with a serial number in the R5000+ range.  Black on black with two sets of grips (no CF, unfortunately), two mags, case, manual, and sights. 

1)  What is market price if it is in very good condition cosmetically and mechanically (<100 rounds through it)? 
2)  Anything I should be looking out for regarding that production serial number (i.e. known problems for particular S/N ranges)?
3)  How many Rohrbaughs were made in total (ballpark?) 

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Jon

How do you know this one works well? Do you know the owner personally or is it at a store?

At least a few in that serial number range ended up being DOA from the factory.  Some of the guys who couldn't wait for a repair after the factory shut down dumped them back on the market.  I got a refund for mine 18 months after my purchase from Remington since it was not repairable.  It would never cycle more than a single mag.  I had to prove I was the original purchaser.   

Make sure you can run a few rounds through it or have a return option in case it's a lemon. 

To me these guns are just collector status pieces and not something to carry on a daily basis.  If you've got Rolex cash go for it.